New Doctor

Options

Replies

• mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Wasn't as convinced by this episode it seemed to be missing something. Robin Hood didn't do it for me, though that may have something to do with just completing a 27 mile hike in ten hours.

I might rewatch it and give it another go.
  • mellisamontgomery2055
    Options
    There were some pretty interesting episodes with Smith but he definitely was not my favorite. So far I like what I see of the new doctor.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Episode two was a much better Dalek episode than other incarnations it had a very Genesis of the Daleks tone to it without feeling too forced.

Nice hat tip to Fantastic Voyage too. Or Inner Space. Or Futurama, whichever your poison.

I was convinced that Clara was going to get stuck in there making soufflés!!!

I'm a huge fan of Capaldi in his British series The Thick of It and am thrilled to see this iteration of The Doctor. He's like the anti-Smith, at least so far. I wasn't into Smith but I assume that's because I'm a girl and lalalalaTennantlalalala.

I definitely see his Doctor as a throwback to the old series, I haven't watched much but the first few at least were not so user-friendly as the new ones have been. So I like that it makes me feel more connected to the origins of the show.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    I'd love to see what Capaldi could do with a script by Neil Gaiman or Chris Chibnall.
  • suleng
    suleng Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wasn't as convinced by this episode it seemed to be missing something. Robin Hood didn't do it for me.

We discussed this episode and the conclusion was its not our favourite, but it still beats Robin Hood Prince of Thieves!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I didn't understand the soldier thing... in the end she gave it to the doctor, so why did her boyfriend's clone have it?
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'd love to see what Capaldi could do with a script by Neil Gaiman or Chris Chibnall.

I have a secret wish to see Moffat step down and Gaiman become the lead writer.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    No, the are ALL great. You see the character jump out of each actor.
  • emmacken
    emmacken Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I didn't understand the soldier thing... in the end she gave it to the doctor, so why did her boyfriend's clone have it?

Her boyfriend's "clone" wasn't a clone; it was implied that he was Clara and Dan's great-great-grandson. He had kept the family heirloom as a good luck charm, but he when he figured out that he was interacting with his great-great-grandmother, he handed it back to her.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Her boyfriend's "clone" wasn't a clone; it was implied that he was Clara and Dan's great-great-grandson. He had kept the family heirloom as a good luck charm, but he when he figured out that he was interacting with his great-great-grandmother, he handed it back to her.

Yeah I got that part, what I don't understand is how he got it in the first place if Clara gave it to the young Doctor in the end.
  • emmacken
    emmacken Posts: 161 Member
    Options

Yeah I got that part, what I don't understand is how he got it in the first place if Clara gave it to the young Doctor in the end.

The soldier doesn't follow a linear timeline. We see it with Clara and young Dan during his childhood, it gets handed down generations in Dan's family, his great-great-grandson ends up with it, Clara meets up with her great-great-grandson at the end of time and acquires it, and then they all travel to the Doctor's past where Clara leaves it.
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I don't like change.

How do I love this show?
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I loved Eccleston, meh about Tennant and was okay with Smith.

I was sooo excited about Capaldi and how he was going to fit.

Capaldi... I am so unsure about how they have drawn his version of The Doctor. The horrificness of hammer pants on a 60 year old man aside, they seemed to have turned The Doctor into a pompous jerk. Even Hurt's Doctor, the "War Doctor" who was supposed to be angry, was more humane and likable than this one. So far, I am completely underwhelmed with what they have done. I am not even excited about waiting for the new episode each week. Kind of breaks my heart a little.
  • LifeOfBrian78
    LifeOfBrian78 Posts: 397 Member
    Options

Capaldi... I am so unsure about how they have drawn his version of The Doctor. The horrificness of hammer pants on a 60 year old man aside, they seemed to have turned The Doctor into a pompous jerk. Even Hurt's Doctor, the "War Doctor" who was supposed to be angry, was more humane and likable than this one. So far, I am completely underwhelmed with what they have done. I am not even excited about waiting for the new episode each week. Kind of breaks my heart a little.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one having problems liking him.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

In the runup to the new season, they talked a lot about how the Doctor was going to 'forget' how to deal with humans and have to re-learn it, so I expect this is the worst of it and is specifically intended to make us appreciate it more when he mellows.
  • LifeOfBrian78
    LifeOfBrian78 Posts: 397 Member
    Options

In the runup to the new season, they talked a lot about how the Doctor was going to 'forget' how to deal with humans and have to re-learn it, so I expect this is the worst of it and is specifically intended to make us appreciate it more when he mellows.

I hope this is the case. I WANT to like him. I thought the idea of an older doctor was appealing.
  • suleng
    Options
    I don't like change. I disliked Eccleston, liked Tennant and Smith and initially didn't like Capaldi, but he's growing on me!! :blushing:
  • spud_chick
    Options
    I don't like change. I disliked Eccleston, liked Tennant and Smith and initially didn't like Capaldi, but he's growing on me!! :blushing:

Capaldi will sneak up on you like that :) I've said many times I just don't like the writing since Moffat took over, but I knew I liked Capaldi from The Hour (in one scene between him and Anna Chancellor, he turned suddenly from a foreboding crow into a passionate, even sexy man) and he's still wrestling some good moments out of these scripts, so I have hope that they'll find their stride with this doctor.
  • spud_chick
    Options

I have a secret wish to see Moffat step down and Gaiman become the lead writer.

Holy cats. I hope someone at BBC has considered that!
  • suleng
    Options
    OK. Just LOVED Saturday's episode. I'm hooked:drinker: .