Injectables

Options
psmd
psmd Posts: 764 Member
I'm considering starting Copaxone. How is it using an injectable? Amy problems with the injection sites? Or anything else? Thanks!

Replies

• amandad14
    amandad14 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been on AVONEX for 3 years and it is ok but my husbands cousin is on Copaxone and she does better than me because it is a more stable dose. The injections are more frequent but she doesn't have the backlash of feeling icky the day or two after my injection. There are many different options. Find a good neuro to help you.
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I was on Avonex and then Rebif for 4 years. Giving the shots was not a problem, but the side effects were overwhelming and really decreased my quality of life.

Copaxone won't give you those issues, other than the occasional racing heart attack feeling (and that's a big maybe). A couple of my friends who were on it for several years started developing lipotrophy just because of the many shots in such a small area over a long period of time. All of my friends who've done copaxone have moved on to other meds because their MS stayed pretty active, but that's pretty common to bounce around. I took a 3 year break when I got pregnant but then chose to start on Tecfidera one year ago. So far I love it. The side effects are almost non-existent which is a big relief to me. I've decided that it's all a big crapshoot :) I hope I chose correctly!
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I've been on Rebif for a few years. The injection sites turned bright red and swollen for the first year. I don't get skin reactions anymore. NEED to remember to pre-medicate with an NSAID! I've spent some really nasty nights with fever and uncontrollable shaking.
  • AsterBellis
    AsterBellis Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started on Copaxone. It was great at first, no side effects. I developed injection site reactions and basically ran out of places to inject. This does not happen to everyone!

I then went on once a week Avonex. The first 3 to 4 weeks were hellish because of the severe flu symptoms. However, if you inject faithfully the flu symptoms diminish in intensity.

I stopped the injections when I was in pain for other reasons and just could not bring myself to go through even that one day of body aches.

Now I have progressive ms and was told there is not a disease modifying drug for it. Is it bad that I was relieved?

Anyway, I think Copaxone is a good lace to start. Consistency is easier when it is daily, quick, and has no side effects.

Good luck!
  • vanessayoungss
    Options
    Hi there,

I was on copaxone from Feb 2010 until August 2013 and it is quite stable. The needle isn't too big so its easier not to use an auto injector. I got quite down with it because i started to get site reactions and indents from where i had injected, but apart from that it was good for me.

The only problem is with it being daily its like a constant reminder. Luckily, i am now on a tablet - fingolimod so not more injections *yey*

Good luck with whichever DMD you choose
  • bigldesigns
    bigldesigns Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've been on Copaxone for 12 months now... no real reactions (every now and then a welt that go after about an hour, and the occasional bee sting,, but that only lasts 5 min) but no skin issues / indents etc
    i use the auto injector.. and a 24point rotation - so its along time between each area getting shot!

24points are Tummy L & R, Thigh L & R, Arm L & R and Bum L & R Then Upper, Middle, Lower in each spot
    so week 1 i do upper in each spot in the rotation.. week 2 middle, week 3 lower.

I have printed chart I follow if anyone is interest PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

If you are stressed about a daily needle, there is a 3times a week Copaxone on the market in the US now.. its due to be available in Aust in the new year (Jan 2015)

On a positive side... 12 months on Copaxone and my latest MRI shows massive improvement.. No new lesions and the old ones are either 1/2 the size (for the big ones) or no longer enhancing (for the smaller ones)
    The diet change and weight loss has had a lot to do with that as well

Good Luck with your decision... as much as I hate the daily needle, i've had no real side effects, and massive improvement..
    I cant wait for the 3times a week version so I can have my weekends needle free :)

Allie
  • territhefrog
    territhefrog Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I have been on Copaxone since January 2000. I started with the 20mg 7 days a week. I am now on the 40mg 3 times a week. I love it. It works great for me. I get site reactions sometimes so I put a cold compress on the area. Ice bag or frozen veggies work great.
    Just make sure that your neurologist and you both think this is the right medication for you. Always talk to your doctor.

When I first started out in 2000, I actually had to mix the Copaxone with the sterile water and do it manually. Now I have the auto-injector and thankfully the syringes are prefilled. I hated having to mix it. Always use a different site for your injection. Never the same site twice in a row!

Also, if you qualify, you need to contact Shared Solutions to see if they will assist with the cost of the Copaxone. Seriously. I didn't even know they did that until my neurologist told me. My doc had me fill out some paperwork and she sent it to Shared Solutions and they contacted me. They are paying the co-pay for my Copaxone! And my insurance (Blue Cross) pays the rest.
  • kristinaohno
    kristinaohno Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have tried both Rebif and Copaxone and both did not agree with me. I had been on Rebif for 2 years and stopped because I thought I did not need to be on anything anymore. Then my Dr tried Tecfidera but that upset my stomach a lot and he didn't want me on it anymore. So, I went back to Rebif. It was awful. I was even sicker. I got migraine headaches 4-5 times a week and had to work full time feeling like complete crap. So, I left that neuro and went to another. He started me on Copaxone. I just stopped taking it even though he told me to keep taking it until I see him on the 7th. I got very bad neck pain plus headaches and recently about 10 mins after injection I felt like I was having a heart attack! I couldn't breath, my heart was beating really bad and my face felt flushed. How can this be okay for a medicine? So, my experience with injectables and pills have not been good. Someone told me that people who don't have new lesions who start a treatment usually feel side effects worse than those who have active lesions/new lesions. It really explains why my experiences have been so bad.

Best of luck! I suggest doing it manually. The auto-injectors are scary as hell and I don't know about anyone else but the force of those damn things is more painful than just sticking a needle in the area.
  • Randommongol
    Randommongol Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I am on Lemtrada which is a new drug. It's going well, so far.

Is Copaxone one of the intra-muscular injections? I haven't done those. I did Rebif for a few years and that was all right...but it stopped being as effective as we wanted so I switched.
  • Ksc1269
    Ksc1269 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I did Copaxone 2 times for about 2 years each time. I found it easier to not use the autoject and just gave myself the shot. I had HSCT for my MS in May of this year and do not need MS drugs anymore. I did have some side effects from the Copaxone.
    Best of luck!