Need advice on first cosplay project

Options
TheStephil
TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
Hey guys!

My boyfriend and his siblings really want to do a The World Ends With You group cosplay and I was nominated to cosplay Shiki. We are going to aim for a convention in January but have a fall back of a convention in August. None of us have made costumes before and have no experience sewing. I can sew on a button or hand sew two things together but have no skill with the sewing machine (I do have one though). I don't know where I should start though? Any advice on what part to work on first? Looking at the character, it seems very overwhelming and too much work and I have no idea where to start.

Shiki_Misaki_Artwork_1_zps899ca907.jpg?t=1409601549
Shiki_Misaki_Artwork_2_zpsa53e9f15.jpg?t=1409687922

Link to more images of the character:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/resources/sheets/47/50296.png

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    In for insight! I have zero sowing knowledge. ♡
  • AngelineTheBaker
    AngelineTheBaker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love this! No advice, but it looks like a lot of it could be purchased and customized with a trip to hobby lobby. I can't wait to see what you come up with
  • Nimue108
    Nimue108 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The skirt, shirt and fanny pack could be found at Good Will or a consignment shop and modified. Go look online for a hoodie pattern and the hat (if you want to make it). The boots could be bought and use yellow thin duct tape to modify those. My advice is to break the costume down into parts and see which ones you can find or that you WANT to make and start looking for patterns. These piece are VERY stright forward and se all you need to do is step back and look at them in parts and plan from there. I can help if you need any more guidance because I have done stright patterns, modified patterns, and made my own when none were available so I have had some experience, but this will be a good place to start. GOOD LUCK and NERD LOVE!!
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys.

I'm going to start scouting the nearby good will stores and see what I can find and go from there depending on what items I can find first.