Spotting-- need reassurance (TMI)

Options
So I am 6 weeks pregnant as of today. I don't have my first prenatal appointment until 9/22 at 8 weeks, but I have been having some light brown "old blood" spotting since middle of last week, and a few small brownish clumps. On Saturday I had a little bit of red blood, but only a little on my tissue. I haven't had any since. I went to my primary care doc's urgent care center since it was on a weekend, and they told me that it probably wasn't anything to worry about, since I wasn't in pain and it was not heavy. They told me I may want to call my OB/GYN on Monday just to get some reassurance, so I will make an appointment for this week if they can fit me in.

But of course, I am agonizing over it! Has anyone here experienced spotting in early pregnancy before? What were the results? You can give me the good and the bad. This is also my first pregnancy so that is part of why I am a nervous wreck. Lol.

Replies

• miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I did with my second, right around the time you are now. If you are having sex, the cervix can get bumped and it has a lot of blood in it in early pregnancy, causing bleeding. You should call the OBGYN though to run it past them. And if you are Rh negative like me, you will need to get a Rhogam shot to prevent complications down the line.
  • SelfHelpJunky
    SelfHelpJunky Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I haven't had sex since we found out, just want to make sure I see a doc first, lol (believe me, I want to)! I did sometimes bleed a tiny bit after sex, though; so it's possible i just have a sensitive cervix. I go to the OB tomorrow to get checked out, so we will see!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I had a bit of bleeding at 10 weeks with my first and at 5/6 weeks with my second. They're 5 and 3 now and perfectly healthy! I had to have early scans with them both (we don't usually get a scan until 12 weeks in England) and the sonographer said that early bleeding is very common.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Hi. I spotted brown and bright red at times from 7 1/2-9 1/2 weeks. I have had several ultrasounds now and the baby is perfect....my OB can't even see on the ultrasound where the blood is coming from. I haven't spotted now in about 2 weeks. I know its scary but try not to stress. It happens to alot of women.
  • beautyforashes0890
    Options
    I have spotted all three pregnancies at around the same time as you and it all turned out to be ok. In fact, I was spotting the day I got my positive test this time around so I was very shocked that I was even pregnant! My doctor's rule is spotting is typically normal, heavy bleeding is not and I ought to go to the hospital if that is the case. I'm sure in a few days it will let up. (This current pregnancy it went on for about a week which freaked me out totally) And plus going to the doctor and being checked out will be reassuring. Praying all is well!
  • SelfHelpJunky
    Options
    Thank you ladies for all of your reassurance. Unfortunately, this has turned out to be an early miscarriage. I started heavily bleeding and cramping on Tuesday. The ultrasound confirmed that a sac had formed, but no embryo (I was 6 weeks and measuring <4 weeks). While I am overweight, my doc assured me that this has nothing to do with anything, and it's nature's way of getting rid of a pregnancy that was not going to be viable. I decided to use this opportunity to get in better shape and perhaps start trying again next spring once I've taken off some pounds. We are also planning a vacation that we would not have been able to take while I was pregnant. :tongue: I am 28 and we do not want more than 2 children, so there's time and my doctor thinks it's unlikely to happen again.

Thank you again for your kind words! It's good to know that if spotting happens again, I shouldn't jump to conclusions before seeing my doc.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Just read this and wanted to wish you the best! I, too, had an early miscarriage. Got pregnant again a couple months later and we now have a happy, healthy, thriving 9-month old baby (girl). Hoping all works out well for you!

Also, the pregnancy that got us our girl...I had HORRIBLE bleeding. I was sure I lost the baby. Called my doc at home to tell her (we'd gotten very close). Skipped my meds (I was put on progesterone to support the pregnancy). Finally went in for an ultrasound during regular business hours and the tech grabbed my knee and started crying. All was good. Sometimes there's just a lot of blood. They think I had a tear in my uterus.
    Thank you ladies for all of your reassurance. Unfortunately, this has turned out to be an early miscarriage. I started heavily bleeding and cramping on Tuesday. The ultrasound confirmed that a sac had formed, but no embryo (I was 6 weeks and measuring <4 weeks). While I am overweight, my doc assured me that this has nothing to do with anything, and it's nature's way of getting rid of a pregnancy that was not going to be viable. I decided to use this opportunity to get in better shape and perhaps start trying again next spring once I've taken off some pounds. We are also planning a vacation that we would not have been able to take while I was pregnant. :tongue: I am 28 and we do not want more than 2 children, so there's time and my doctor thinks it's unlikely to happen again.

Thank you again for your kind words! It's good to know that if spotting happens again, I shouldn't jump to conclusions before seeing my doc.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

Sorry to hear that. Hope you're ok.

I had an early miscarriage last year, at around 5 weeks. I was pregnant again 2 months later and she's now 4 months old, so these things do happen and can just be a one off. My BMI was under 25, so it's not a weight thing.
  • SelfHelpJunky
    Options
    Just read this and wanted to wish you the best! I, too, had an early miscarriage. Got pregnant again a couple months later and we now have a happy, healthy, thriving 9-month old baby (girl). Hoping all works out well for you!

Also, the pregnancy that got us our girl...I had HORRIBLE bleeding. I was sure I lost the baby. Called my doc at home to tell her (we'd gotten very close). Skipped my meds (I was put on progesterone to support the pregnancy). Finally went in for an ultrasound during regular business hours and the tech grabbed my knee and started crying. All was good. Sometimes there's just a lot of blood. They think I had a tear in my uterus.

Thank you so much for sharing your story! That is so amazing about your little girl! Many blessings to you, and I hope to get my rainbow baby soon :-)
  • SelfHelpJunky
    Options

Sorry to hear that. Hope you're ok.

I had an early miscarriage last year, at around 5 weeks. I was pregnant again 2 months later and she's now 4 months old, so these things do happen and can just be a one off. My BMI was under 25, so it's not a weight thing.

Thank you for your kind words and for sharing your story. I hope that this was a one-time deal for me as well! Congratulations on your beautiful baby!
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Self, I'm sorry to hear that it was an early miscarriage. Sounds like you're taking things in stride. You are young and have plenty of time to build your family. I'm 35 and just having my first. Don't know if I want a second considering my age, but the option is there.

Take care.