MFP, Food Aversion & Calories

kathyk519
kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
I am 7w3d, Food is not appealing. The things I used to eat (beans, cheese, dairy) - thoughts of these make me gag. I don't even want to eat my mini pretzels that I used to eat as a snack everyday with my cheese stick. Fruit, rice, pasta seem okay, but even with those, I don't eat alot of them. Not a big fan of meat, but I have been eating a little of it, but even that doesn't do much for me. I eat when I am hungry, but I don't overeat, and this sucks. I love food, I love to look at it, eat it, cook it, read about it, and right now it all grosses me out completely. I haven't changed my setting on MFP yet, but have been logging things in, and there are days I am just hitting 1200 calories, sometimes 1400/1500 if I actually find something I feel like eating that day - and it can change daily. I am doing "better" now than when I was trying.

Thoughts?

Replies

• I feel your pain! I'm 12 weeks pregnant and feeling better, yet I still am having lots of food aversions. I usually LOVED meat, in fact if I didn't eat meat I didn't feel like it truly was even a meal, yet now meat grosses me out with the exception of crispy chicken. My hubby made me a smoothie with kale, blueberries, pineapple and some yogurt which helped me since drinking down calories seems a lot easier than having to eat when I have no appetite and pregnancy has turned me into such a picky eater. You could also try a smoothie with some peanut butter in there for some extra calories and protein too. Just a thought.
  • kalyrra
    kalyrra Posts: 672 Member
    I am 7w3d, Food is not appealing. The things I used to eat (beans, cheese, dairy) - thoughts of these make me gag. I don't even want to eat my mini pretzels that I used to eat as a snack everyday with my cheese stick. Fruit, rice, pasta seem okay, but even with those, I don't eat alot of them. Not a big fan of meat, but I have been eating a little of it, but even that doesn't do much for me. I eat when I am hungry, but I don't overeat, and this sucks. I love food, I love to look at it, eat it, cook it, read about it, and right now it all grosses me out completely. I haven't changed my setting on MFP yet, but have been logging things in, and there are days I am just hitting 1200 calories, sometimes 1400/1500 if I actually find something I feel like eating that day - and it can change daily. I am doing "better" now than when I was trying.

Thoughts?

First Trimester is all about survival. :flowerforyou: Eat what you can, and try to stay hydrated. You don't need any "extra" calories for pregnancy during First Tri anyway. I actually lost weight during First Tri, and my OB said it was fine and normal. Don't worry, once you get past all the morning sickness/food aversions and hit 2nd Tri full swing, you'll be able to eat fairly normal again.

Like the PP said, you can try doing some smoothies for protein and calories if you think you need to. I wouldn't be too concerned, as baby will pull everything it needs from you first. If you're low on something, you'll suffer way before baby does! So just hang in there, eat what you can and wait it out! :flowerforyou:
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Thanks All!

Hubby usually makes me morning smoothies chock full of spinach, a banana, pineapple, and strawberries with almond milk...sometimes that tastes funny too. I have been enjoying PBJ for lunch though...kind of...

Nice to know that the baby gets first dibs on it all though...makes me feel less guilty.

Time to go make some dinner...think it is going to be another pasta night...
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    I feel you!!!
    I cannot see/eat chicken and I used to eat it daily. Actually, I have an issue with meat when I used to eat a LOT of animal protein pre-pregnancy. I can stomach the grilled chicken from this vietnamese restaurant, but that's about it... So I haven't been eating a lot of protein lately ;(

I'm not logging... but I think 70% of my daily intake is from carbs (pasta, bagels with cream cheese, fruits). At least I can eat a little bit of nuts and cheese, and chick peas/beans I'm fine with too. I'm just eating what I can and try not to worry too much. It'll get better in the 2nd trimester.