Running shoe advice

Options
I suffer from knee pain when running, but a properly fit, good pair of running shoes eliminates it. However, I find I have to replace the shoes as early as 200 miles (about three to four months). The shoes rarely show serious wear at this point, however my knee starts twinging and that tells me it's time. I'm about to buy my third pair of the year.

Any advice on brands which may have a longer life (I'm currently in Saucony Triumph 10s)? Anything I can do to increase the life-span of a pair of shoes? I do run in all weathers, how much could this be contributing to the short lifespan of my shoes? I was considering getting two pairs this time and alternating, but I can imagine the spousal response - "You need two pairs this time???". My wife is supportive and understands that if I want to run I need the good shoes, but I can completely understand her looking at a pile of seemingly perfectly good shoes and wondering why the hell I need yet another pair, never mind two. Frankly I feel the same, it's all getting a bit silly.

Of course, the most important part of equation is finding and fixing the muscle weakness causing the knee pain, which I am working on. Meanwhile, I need the shoes...

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Well two pair would last twice as long :) Have you tried looking at the reviews on Runners World? I have to agree that does not seem like many miles. I doubt the weather matters much but making sure they dry out would I think. Maybe that is an argument for two pair to let them dry well after a given run. Just tell your wife that I have 6 pair :)
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Hows your form? Where does your foot land? Wondering if you're heel striking hard which may be hurting the shoes/causing your knee pain.

Maybe you can resell them for a few bucks to help combat the cost? Somebody else might be able to get another 250 miles out of them.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Hows your form? Where does your foot land? Wondering if you're heel striking hard which may be hurting the shoes/causing your knee pain.

Maybe you can resell them for a few bucks to help combat the cost? Somebody else might be able to get another 250 miles out of them.

Hard to judge one's own form, but I do concentrate on it. I'm a neutral striker, and best I can tell I land with my foot under my body. I also focus on minimizing any sort of rotational or side-to-side movement. I try to keep all movement within the plane I'm traveling.

I do have very high arches, and I supinate quite badly when standing. The vast majority of my weight is on the outside of my foot. When running I have a tendency to under-pronate because of my high arches. With that said, I wouldn't say that my shoes have excessively unbalanced wear, precisely because I don't get to wear them long enough to exhibit much tread wear at all!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I have found my shoes last a lot longer if I have two pair and alternate them. I have heard it can help them last up to 3-4 times longer because you are giving them time to recover. I have two pair now one has 500 or more miles on it the other probably 250 and still going pretty well. Will be replacing the 500 miles probably before the end of the year.

29509743.png
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using the super feet insoles? They were really useful for me for a while.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using the super feet insoles? They were really useful for me for a while.

Looking at the profile for a minute I thought I had answered this thread and was like "When?I don't remember"

Damn! The style's same too.

Vella Sphringa! One Hella race it was.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    The nice thing about running in minimalist shoes is that the more miles I get on them, the more I like them and the better they feel. I also have 11 pairs so I'm rotating all the time....never wear the same shoe twice in a row. I don't know if there is any science to support it, but I believe this constant rotation helps me keep running injury free because I'm not perpetually running in conformity with the same shoe day in and day out.. The zero drop also pretty much guarantees I'm not heel striking which is key for me too...