Pace for beginners

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site, and also to running. I started two months ago and I'm making progress, though slowly but surely since I had a problem with my knee in the first week or two. Thankfully the pain went away with stretching...

I'm wondering what is considered a good pace for beginners in their 30s? I feel like I'm going so slow for my height and weight. What am I doing wrong? Does speed just come naturally with endurance and time? My pace is currently 9:47 mins/mile, but I started at 10:50, so I feel like it's a slight improvement, but not as much as I would like.

Thanks!! :)

Replies

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Is this just running by yourself or with a group? That is great improvement in just a couple months. Is this a consistent pace for like a 5k or 10k or just a couple miles. I find my pace is always better when I am competing in a race. If you find a group to run with that can be a great benefit your speed.

29509743.png
  • Naturena19
    Options
    Thanks for the response! Well, my goal is to run a 5k, but I'm not quite there yet. I can only run 3.5k at that pace. I'm quite slow... I'm running on my own, though, so like you said I should probably look into joining a group. It's probably safer, too, especially when you're starting out.
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    Options
    I have been running for awhile and your pace is my pace.... about! Congrats! I started at 12 min pace and my fastest was a 5K that I averaged right at 9 min pace. Good luck!

Oh, I learned that distance training increases speed. Maybe slow down your pace and go for the 5K distance. And then work on increasing speed for the 5K.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site, and also to running. I started two months ago and I'm making progress, though slowly but surely since I had a problem with my knee in the first week or two. Thankfully the pain went away with stretching...

I'm wondering what is considered a good pace for beginners in their 30s? I feel like I'm going so slow for my height and weight. What am I doing wrong? Does speed just come naturally with endurance and time? My pace is currently 9:47 mins/mile, but I started at 10:50, so I feel like it's a slight improvement, but not as much as I would like.

Thanks!! :)

You can age grade yourself and see what % of the world record for your distance ran is, or you could just be happy with what you're running since it doesn't really matter :)
  • Naturena19
    Options
    I have been running for awhile and your pace is my pace.... about! Congrats! I started at 12 min pace and my fastest was a 5K that I averaged right at 9 min pace. Good luck!

Oh, I learned that distance training increases speed. Maybe slow down your pace and go for the 5K distance. And then work on increasing speed for the 5K.

Thank you, that's encouraging!! I guess at this point I shouldn't really focus on pace and try to increase my distance every week. :)
  • Naturena19
    Options

You can age grade yourself and see what % of the world record for your distance ran is, or you could just be happy with what you're running since it doesn't really matter :)
    [/quote]

Thanks! Right now I'm mainly running for fitness, but I would like to join a training group soon, and hopefully run a 5k at some point!
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    Options
    Thank you, that's encouraging!! I guess at this point I shouldn't really focus on pace and try to increase my distance every week. :)

Just be careful and follow the 10% rule. (increase mileage by 10% a week, so if you run 10 miles this week, increase to 11 miles next week) Even though you might feel great, doing too much too fast could injure you. I was out for 2-3 months last summer with a knee injury. Even though I was able to run, my leg muscles were no strong enough to support my knees for the distances I was running.
  • Naturena19
    Options
    Thanks! I don't think I could increase more than 10% at this point, anyway... I'm not sure, but there seems to be something I'm doing wrong, or the fitness standards I'm seeing are completely unrealistic. According to some sites, a healthy women in her 30s should be able to run 8 min/miles with no problem at all. I can barely keep up 9:40, and my BMI is in the healthy range! I guess it will come as I build endurance... Thanks again for the advice everyone! :)
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Pay them no attention. Run YOUR pace, set YOUR goals and all else will follow
    Thanks! I don't think I could increase more than 10% at this point, anyway... I'm not sure, but there seems to be something I'm doing wrong, or the fitness standards I'm seeing are completely unrealistic. According to some sites, a healthy women in her 30s should be able to run 8 min/miles with no problem at all. I can barely keep up 9:40, and my BMI is in the healthy range! I guess it will come as I build endurance... Thanks again for the advice everyone! :)
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    Options

Whatever sites those are, didn't use data from 30 something moms who work full time jobs and live where temps get into the 100s for 3-4 solid months out of the year. 8 minute miles..... whatever!
  • ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I JUST started running this week and have gotten out there 3x in the last week. Right now my average mile is 15min so you are doing very well!!!! Right now my goal is to get out there and run! I was able to do an extra quarter mile today, it just felt good. I am still walking and running, quarter mile at a time, after a 5 min warm up which happens to be about a quarter mile as well. I did lots of yoga today after my run and I feel really good. I had surgery on my right knee two years ago so I want to make sure I avoid injury. Keep up your good work! Sounds to me like you are doing great! You have already improved so much! Way to go!
  • Naturena19
    Options

Whatever sites those are, didn't use data from 30 something moms who work full time jobs and live where temps get into the 100s for 3-4 solid months out of the year. 8 minute miles..... whatever!

Yes, I think most stats aren't realistic at all... So many other factors come into play, and it can be dangerous to try to reach those standards too quickly.
  • Naturena19
    Options
    I JUST started running this week and have gotten out there 3x in the last week. Right now my average mile is 15min so you are doing very well!!!! Right now my goal is to get out there and run! I was able to do an extra quarter mile today, it just felt good. I am still walking and running, quarter mile at a time, after a 5 min warm up which happens to be about a quarter mile as well. I did lots of yoga today after my run and I feel really good. I had surgery on my right knee two years ago so I want to make sure I avoid injury. Keep up your good work! Sounds to me like you are doing great! You have already improved so much! Way to go!

Thanks very much for the encouragement, and it's great to hear that you started running. I think it's wise to start slowly. Many people try to do too much too soon and end up giving up on running due to injuries... I realized that I'm trying to go way too fast. This week I slowed down a bit and was able to increase my distance. My goal is to be a long distance runner, not a sprinter, so I have to focus on miles and not on pace right now.

Good luck and keep running!!
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options

*picks my jaw off of the floor* You started at 10:50 min/mile? I can't do that yet, and I've been doing this for 2.5 months, and I'm a year younger than you! If that's slow, then I'm a turtle. I was estatic when I finished in 43:31! I can't imagine starting off with my first race being that close to 30 minutes! Wow!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I started at about 15-16 min per mile (because I had to walk most of it). My long runs are about 10:30 now, and my 5K races are just a tad under 9 min miles.

Don't have a clue how you STARTED at under 11 min per mile.
  • Naturena19
    Options
    Well, that's encouraging... I think everyone starts at their own pace... Personally, I think I started too fast and I did have a problem with one of my knees in the first week and a half, which thankfully went away after two weeks. of rest. I've been back at it for a month with no pain at all, except for the usual muscle tightness. I have no idea how I started below 11 mins, I guess I did a lot of speed walking over long distances. Not the same as running, but I guess it does build endurance.

Good luck everyone. :) The point is to have fun and feel great while running!