Cellulite! (yea, i went there)

Options
Ok...so the worst part of being termed "skinny fat" is...cellulite that I never thought I would actually have at the age of nearly 25. I was always athletic, played soccer since I was about 5 years old, but quit when I started college since I had no desire to play in college. Since then...I got lazy, lost my tone, my muscle, & yes....became 'skinny fat'. So I'm starting to change that through a better diet & including exercise, which I've neglected for years since I was happy not to do it anymore since quitting soccer.
So, starting in the summer of last year I noticed that I had some of that dreaded cellulite on my butt, as well as awkwardly on my quad. It's not terrible & not obvious, but it's there, & I know I need to prevent it, not to mention just working out for my health as a top priority.

My question is...for anyone who has encountered cellulite, has working out/eating better &/or clean eating, did this help you with the issue? I'm not into rubbing those creams all over the area, since they don't do much anyway, I'm just sort of curious since I can't be the only person with this sort of problem. Just rather curious to see if as a by product of working out if that has helped remedy this or not :) & if so, what your workout routine is. I'm mostly into weight lifting, with cardio here & there, but that's just me.

Replies

• alposie
    Options
    I would imagine as you lost the fat the cellulite would disappear. Just lose the fat slow and steady and keep track of your' macros, since your' into weight training you might try to recomp. Which, I'm sure you know, but if you don't, is staying at the same weight but slowly losing fat. You will need to check your' body fat %. If you want a faster answer do a "cutting" type program. Which will still be pretty slow if you do it right since you don't want to lose muscle. I'm a man with stretch marks, I'm trying to recomp and as my gut slowly gets smaller the marks are slowly disappearing. I'm currently 181 but I've been as low as 160 and still had stretch marks because I was still skinnyFAT. I'm sure you will have a similar experience, just don't give up and go for the quick fix.
  • Srarojas
    Srarojas Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I lost about 10% bf last year (very gradually). I had a tiny bit of cellulite in my tummy, but it's gone now. I guess it depends on how much you have to lose.
  • recoveryoga
    recoveryoga Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i had cellulite in the same exact places and with exercising and dieting i got my lower half in shape. so no more cellulite!
  • echoecho11
    echoecho11 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ive only ever lost it with body recomp - ie less fat and more muscle. Its all about the thickness of fat under the skin. Ive got bad genes for it I'm afraid. Im 5'7 and 120 pounds, 19%bf and need to loose about 5lbs for the dimples to shrink. :(
  • witchtea
    witchtea Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I got rid of a lot of mine when I cut out a lot of sugar and started doing SQUATS.
  • whipsmart10014
    Options
    I'm in the best shape of my life (34-24-35) size 0-2, but still have cellulite on the back of my thighs. Yes its ugly, but it's also just evidence that there's estrogen circulating in your body. My advice? Self tanner and shot of tequila ;-)

Trust me, you notice it FAR more than anyone else.
  • yakira30
    Options
    I workout and always try to eat right and can never get rid of the cellulite, I hate it so much. I guess I spent to many years neglecting myself and now is to late what pisses me off is I am only 33 and I am embarrassed to wear a bikini because of the cellulite.The good news is you are not alone and 9 out of 10 women have cellulite anyways good luck.
  • iwannagetfitrightnow
    Options
    I had a medical issue where I could not eat any processed foods. So for about 7 months I could only eat "real foods"... I cheated occasionally with cupcakes and vanilla icecream. I juiced a lot, ran couch to 5k, cut caffeine and lost ALL my cellulite. No alcohol either. I drank a ton of water. I also took high quality probiotics. I stopped eating this way and gained it all back and got my cellulite back too.
  • kwjager
    kwjager Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty low body fat % and a low BMI, and I (like most women my age!) have cellulite. I used to let myself freak out about it, and then one year I watched the NYC marathon and saw the elite women runners--the ladies who run 100s of miles/year, who are all muscle--and noticed that even THEY have cellulite. It's part of being female, and it's part of aging.
  • estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Jealous of everyone who can drop the cellulites just by losing weight. I've been down to a BMI of 16 and I had just as much cellulites as now (bmi 23).
  • realharlot
    Options
    I've been doing Kayla Itsines BBG workout lately which is calisthenics (circuit training) for 27 minutes 3X week and eating a little better. It's been a few weeks and mine is disappearing. I didn't have much to begin with however. I imagine this works to varying degrees.
  • AndiJH
    AndiJH Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I started noticing some on the backs of my thighs about a year or two ago (at the ripe old age of 22) and decided to take action.
    I greatly minimized it by focusing on squats and leg/butt exercises (I took a few Pilates floor classes and learned some really effective moves). I started spinning and hiking as well, and finish all my treadmill workouts with a 5 minute "hike" on high inclines, and also do my elliptical exercises on a higher resistance.
    As for beauty routines, I started using exfoliators (homemade with salt or oatmeal) on the area, and making sure to lotion (just with regular stuff, nothing fancy) to keep the skin hydrated and fresh.
    It's all worked well for me, and it's barely even noticeable now. Good luck!