Do you use the extra calories burned

Options
essexlamb
essexlamb Posts: 18 Member
Just wondered if any of you have achieved good weight loss using the extra calories gained through exercise?

Thanks

Replies

• cherrilovee
    cherrilovee Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If I do, I only eat back up to 50% of the calories. I try to make sure that I don't eat all of them so I can stay at a good deficit.
  • essexlamb
    Options
    Thanks, that's a good strategy, safer that way.
  • bangbangchoochootrain
    Options
    I lost 6.4 pounds in August eating back all of my exercise calories that I was hungry for. Now that I've stopped doing that this week, my weigh in went up. Part of this is because I'm not eating within my calories for the day (okay, yeah, most of it). What I find for me is that days I run or lift, I'm hungrier, and so I need those extra calories. Then on days I don't run or lift I eat less any way, so it all balances out to the same thing at the end of the week. However when I'm not eating back exercise calories I've been STARVING on run days, and overeating on non-workout days because I "can".

So I think its a personal choice but I definitely do not have the discipline to not eat my exercise calories... so it happens whether I want it to or not! And so far its been working for me :)
  • MrsSmidders
    MrsSmidders Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't understand eating back my calories. For instance I can eat 1390 cals to loose weight it says but today I exercised and burned 520 so should I be eating those back or half? I am struggling to eat anymore good today!! Help would be appreciated ????
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I eat back at least some of my exercise calories... especially if I plan on exercising the next day as well. Somedays you just aren't hungry though... so do what feels right.
  • Ump78
    Ump78 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I never eat back the calories I burn. Keep in mind I was eating horribly before I started this thing. But ive lost 17 pounds in 19 days. I eat between 1800-2300 calories per day and I'm pretty active. But if I burn 900 on the elliptical trainer, that's justless calories my body has to burn. I don't re-eat. And I'm almost never hungry. I eat good portions, log every single bite I take, and eat quality food. Empty calories are your enemy.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I eat back half (ish) of my exercise calories, but only if I'm hungry for them. Ump78, you're off to a great start, but be aware if you net too few calories, your weight loss will eventually stall out.
  • essexlamb
    Options
    Interesting I suppose I'll have to see how it goes.

Thanks
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    If I do, I only eat back up to 50% of the calories. I try to make sure that I don't eat all of them so I can stay at a good deficit.

This^^
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I always, always, always eat back at least part of my calories. I've found I perform better and lose faster when I do. Of course, YMMV.
  • ashteinpeacock
    ashteinpeacock Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I find it best to eat back the calories for a female, because females are told to eat less calories to lose so we don't end up eating very much in the day as it is. We eat enough, but not a lot. If you don't eat enough then your body will start to gain weight because it will be using everything you eat to maintain itself... well this is what I have been told... A girl I know is following a diet that her mom had a book on. She eats like 5 or 6 meals a day and each meal contains around 500 calories... I thought this was a ridiculous amount of calories because im aiming for 1200 a day, but end up eating around 1500 after exercise calories are added back. But she has only been dieting for around 2-3 weeks and has lost 17lbs. So I say eat back the calories... Even with those calories you'll still be eating half of what you would normally eat... so you should still see results.
  • tsjourney14
    tsjourney14 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good advice- I was thinking the same thing- I don't re-eat either!