Frustrated by the scale.

Options
The scale hasn't moved once in almost a month! Every Sunday I am 214.3 to 214.7. I exercise, I eat within my calories. It's just like ugh! Of course I have a friend who doesn't follow her diet at all and somehow still drops the weight! I'm like really, here I am walking and biking and not eating chocolate while you eat out all week and watch Netflix and somehow you drop weight?! Everyone is like maybe now that you are exercising everyday you are building muscle but I feel like I should get some weight off. I don't know. It's annoying being 14 pounds away for the Christmas goal. Differently since the first 4 months I dropped weight. Maybe I need to readjust again?

Replies

• kayjosh2422
    kayjosh2422 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Look at what you have accomplished! You are Amazing! I know it gets frustrating when you are doing everything right and the scale is not reflecting it. Maybe adjust things a little, but know that you are doing good things for your body and the weight will start to come off again. I know a few years ago when I was doing weight watchers I did not lose for a month and I was in the gym working all the time. The lady told me I must be cheating but I knew I wasn't and my advisor told me my body was just adjusting to the workouts and building muscle. Sure enough a few weeks later the weight started coming off. Don't give in or give up and don't compare yourself to your friend. You are doing great and will be back on the weight loss path in no time!
  • Zy30
    Zy30 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Maybe you have hit a plateau or your body is used to your workout routines and need to change your workout habbits just a little bit. Perhaps you might want to try juicing for a couple days to get you out the plateau stage that you are in? I was stuck on plateau for 10 months and had was working out 5 days a week and eating very healthy, so literally stopped working out for about 2 months to let my body rest and began indulging on pizza, burgers and my all time favorite chocolate. I didn't gain any weight, instead I dropped another 15lbs once I started working out again and went from a 5 day workout to a 3 day.

Don't get discouraged, you have been doing really good and will accomplish your goals!

Best of luck,

Liz
  • jafray4
    jafray4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    We just had this conversation this morning with someone else. It's important to in essence throw your body some curve balls. Indulge some for a day and have the pizza or eat out. and change your workout some. Instead of walking and biking take a few days and do a workout dvd or something. My body needs this almost every other week. It seems that I adjust to the same calorie intake and calories burned everyday. So varying my days each week helps.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Have you refreshed your daily calorie goal? Every 5 pounds lost you should re-enter your numbers and calculate a new calorie goal on MFP. I just did it and I got 20 calories less. I've only lost 5 lbs though, I see you've lost a lot more so the difference could be quite a bit.

Also, sometimes I reset my scale. If it's electronic I'll step on it, wait for the numbers to show 0.0 and then I'll let it turn off without me stepping on it. Or I'll pick up something heavier and weigh myself with it. Almost always get a different weight for myself by myself after that.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Sometimes those last 10 -15lbs are the hardest. Try shaking things up in your diet and workout. Then go back to your routine. Sometimes the body needs a jolt or change of a routine. Focus on what you've accomplished and think about where you came from and where you are now. You still have 4 months left. Stay positive.
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I figured after not following my diet at all the first few weeks of august it would get the jolt. I can't do too many different exercises because I am risking a huge flare up from fibromyalgia and then I would have to take a huge amount of time to recover. Also if I eat out of calories I will gain the weight! My body holds salt and water like I don't drink at all! It's weird but my doctor sums it up fibro which I understand it makes the body weird. My nutritionist told me to just keep going it will eventually have to let go but I'm like when? Thank you for the support. I wish the app had groups, I substitute teach a lot so I am usually on the app!
  • Ansin529
    Options
    First, Congratulations on your progress thus far... I can only imagine the hard work and discipline you put forth to gain such success... I only hope that I can gain success to the level you have...

I would have to agree with many of the responses you have received thus far. I just got over a two week plateau myself and it required a change in my exercises and an increase in calories... I would spike my calories here and there (in moderation), work out during odd hours and increased my water intake...

As soon as I spiked my calories, I immediately transitioned back into clean eating and maintained a solid work-out regiment...You may need to play with our calories by one or two hundred calories + or -...

Are you weighing your food? You may not be cheating, but you can easily rack up hundreds of calories per day by mistaking the weight of your food...

Keep at it... You will find the culprit, eradicate it and continue to progress...
  • cherrilovee
    cherrilovee Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Have you been measuring? Because sometimes the scale isn't the best way to see your loss!
  • Snowdog999
    Snowdog999 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    WOW! What an amazing job you have done so far. Congratulations. I find for myself I go up and down, up and down. I have lost and gained the same five pounds a few times now but when i look at my weight graph, I am actually on a downward trend. I know when I was on a different weight loss program I did hit some very difficult plateaus, but eventually my body broke through and I was able to start losing again.
    I agree with all the comments posted here: shake things up a bit, take a cheat day or meal here and there but don't give up. You'll break through.
    Again, focus on your achievement thus far and know that you will succeed!
  • GlynnisSapsfordHey
    Options
    Our body always tells us what it wants, and I would say yours is saying you need to change something. Good luck i am sure you will break through this
  • irisheyes321
    irisheyes321 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi,

First of all congrats on your amazing weight loss.You have done fab.Have you measured your self lately?

I am nearly three weeks working my *kitten* off and no change on the scales but I have lost inches and that's the only thing that is

keeping me from raiding the fridge lol.

Take care and head up high,

Liz.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I've found, for me, it all evens itself out. These past few months, the weight loss has come in 10 lb increments. I'll lose 10lbs in what seems like a week and then the next three weeks are spent waiting for the scale to move again. In the end, it averages out to about a pound a week...which is what I'm aiming for right now.

I would agree with those who say to change things up. You've accomplished alot already by losing so much. The first few months after I started tracking calories, I shied away from ever going over my daily limit, thinking I was going to revert to the old me and gain everything back. Now, I know better. The occasional blow-out meal isn't going to hurt. Really, it isn't. If anything, it can kick your body back into gear and get the scale moving again...in the right direction!
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Can you open up your diary?
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Have you refreshed your daily calorie goal? Every 5 pounds lost you should re-enter your numbers and calculate a new calorie goal on MFP. I just did it and I got 20 calories less. I've only lost 5 lbs though, I see you've lost a lot more so the difference could be quite a bit.

Also, sometimes I reset my scale. If it's electronic I'll step on it, wait for the numbers to show 0.0 and then I'll let it turn off without me stepping on it. Or I'll pick up something heavier and weigh myself with it. Almost always get a different weight for myself by myself after that.

I have never had MFP give me lower calories than 1200. Wouldn't it refigure it each time you put in your new weight if that were true- or at least once you lost 5 pounds? I went to the check-in to look at calorie goals and it already had my current weight that I just entered today and I've lost 11 pounds and it's never given me anything less than 1200 (which I think it wouldn't go lower than that anyway).