September 9, 2014 and topic

Options
Good morning MFP peeps! More importantly our group peeps.

My insurance was submitted and approved yesterday, I think they took one look at my BMI and said.. yep! LOL

Next step will be a surgery date when the news reaches the hospital.

I went out for dinner at Applebee's last night with my friend who had gastric bypass, we went over my diet sheets and talked and talked about what it was going to be like. This was after we signed up our puppies for their next obedience classes. I signed Remy up for her first title CGC and for Rally. Wow I just realized I need to get her registered so I need photos asap!

Going to Applebee's actually reminded me why I need to do this, when we walked in it felt like everyone was staring at me.. well some people actually were... and not in a good way. Second they put us in a booth I struggled to fit into. Worse, when I went to the bathroom being ever so careful about getting out, when I got back in I shifted in the seat and the whole seat moved back.. it was so embarrassing.. I am sitting there hoping no one noticed the loud noise as the bench moved and then settled again. AWFUL. I am really starting to not want to go out to eat at all.

So I guess anything embarrassing or uncomfortable for you guys lately? Or anything good you noticed because you lost weight?

Replies

• persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    The main embarrassing thing i get is people staring at me in the street. I keep checking that yes i definitely have put all my clothes on and there is nothing on my face and my hair is brushed and then I know they are staring because I am fat. I am used to myself and struggle to understand how fascinating the sight of me is to so many people. I know there are lots of big people out there but when i stop and think about it i hardly ever see them in my area. I think most drive so are not seen as much as me. I do not drive so i walk to my local shops or get bus because that is what i have always done.

I relate to seats being too small also, though to me i think the seats are getting smaller, I don't quite get it is because i am twice the size of most humans. Especially when i am doing well and losing weight it suprizes me still that people are still shocked by my size. I can sometimes feel slim when i lose 10lb but people in street just see a double sized person still. I look forward to just being over weight and not morbidly obese.
  • justme1002
    justme1002 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi. I can definitely relate to this topic. If we ever go out to eat, I ask for a table so that I can avoid the embarrassment I have felt being squished in a booth. I'm not very tall so having my chest rest on the table is not fun. I obviously know that I am morbidly obese, but it really hits home in photographs. Sometimes I can't even believe that the person in the picture is me- or how on earth did I let myself get this way??! Embarrassment about my looks has kept me away from many fun events. I even missed a family trip because I was afraid I wouldn't fit in the airplane seat (which I'm sure was true.) Thanks for sharing this topic today.
  • wennim
    wennim Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate to the booth thing. I can now comfortably fit in most booths but there are a couple of local places where I know the booths are smaller and still ask for a table.

I was always embarrassed by the red face/sweating after walking around places trying to keep up with the kids. The whale flop incident where I broke my ankle was the ultimate embarrassment. I just didn't have good balance or reflexes when I was heavier...I am still heavy but not as heavy.

My biggest thing though is lack of pictures. I hated having my picture taken and often times we would take pictures of just the kids instead of actual family pictures. I was feeling really good and dare I say attractive the other day and so I let a picture get taken only to see it and be reminded of just how big I still am. I have always been a very quiet person but now that I am losing a little weight my confidence is boosted and I find myself being more open to talking to people.
  • carostad
    Options
    I relate to this so much. I'm a little further in my journey than some of you, so I can tell you there is light at the middle of the tunnel! I am now around 250ish (just under actually) and I haven't had to be embarassed about booths in a while. My boobs still rest on the table sometimes, though, lol. I think that's just the plight of the large chested. I do rejoice in being able to use the smaller booths in bathrooms again. I think that's something people don't talk about much but bathroom booths can be so tiny it can be hard to do your business, ahem, if you're carrying some extra weight. I used to always take the handicap stall and felt guilty about it, but now I avoid it if at all possible and leave it open for those that need the extra space. It used to tick me off so much when a skinny little person would walk out of that big stall. TMI? LOL.

I've had 2 weeks of visitors, celebrations, birthdays, etc and it's been hard on the scale. I'm back to where I was 3 weeks ago, but I have one more night of birthday celebrations with my daughter and her friends tonight, and then I should start losing again, I hope. This journey of losing weight, stalling for a little while, going up, going down, more stalling is mentally exhausting. I know my goal is to live the way I *can* live instead of living in a state of denying myself everything, and that takes longer, but sometimes it's frustrating to have to relose weight I'd already "lost". I try to remain positive and upbeat, and I remind myself over and over again that it's a marathon, not a sprint, but I'd like to have my cake and lose weight too. LOL. It will happen.

I'm definitely noticing how much stronger I am. I can walk 2 miles now and it barely phases me. That's so exciting to me. I think I'm about to take my step goal up to 9000 steps from my current 8k. That has made such a difference for me.

Grats on your surgery progress Julie. It sounds like you're really prepared. Keeping you in my thoughts...

Caroline
  • spooks1960
    spooks1960 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I too can relate to this topic. I stay clear of booths at restaurants. The hostesses look at me funny when I ask for a table. One even asked if there was a specific reason why I would want a table and not a booth. I felt quite embarrassed because she was quite loud and many people started to stare. Hated it!!!!!.

Congrats Julie on getting approved for the surgery. You sound really determined and prepared for this to happen. I hope the same will happen to me when I get there. Surgery class is at the end of the month. Looking forward to it.

Have a great day everyone.
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Julie, I am so happy for you that you were approved for your surgery.... As far as the booths, I almost always ask for tables. As far as getting starred at, I ask... do you happen to have a eye problem??? I'm so tired of being tired. People think being obese is about food. IT ISN'T. For many of us, it's the emotions that lead to the food.

Hugs,
    Cari
  • ronercat
    ronercat Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    As with the rest of you the booth thing is not fun. I have finally reached a point where I am good in most booths and I like it. The worst for me though used to be bowling. I love to bowl, but I kept ripping my shorts every time I went (I lost four pair that way). I finally had to give up and start wearing gym shorts to the lane, which looks a bit silly. Again I recently had good news regarding this. the last time I went bowling (Friday) I was able to go in normal clothes and nothing ripped.
  • leatrisgwi
    Options
    You hang in there. As difficult as it is to admit that we are morbidly obese - you are not alone. I am short with a big chest as well and the height of some booth tables are just the right height to hike the sisters up and give my back a break. Just kidding. Glad you wrote.
  • MsDellyssa
    MsDellyssa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You hang in there. As difficult as it is to admit that we are morbidly obese - you are not alone. I am short with a big chest as well and the height of some booth tables are just the right height to hike the sisters up and give my back a break. Just kidding. Glad you wrote.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who puts the girls on the table for a back rest.. But anyway, booths are not my friend either. Neither are crowds. I feel smothered and covered in stares. (wow that almost sounds like the waffle house's hash-browns which I can't even fathom eating... ugh) I'm not sure if my being fat has a lot to do with my anxiety with crowds or not, but it sure doesn't help.

Good luck on the surgery. My sister in law had it done a couple of yrs ago. She said it was the best thing she ever did. She can now chase my 4 ½ yr old nephew all over the place. I hope it goes this well for you too.
  • jennylilac
    jennylilac Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting approved! I hope it goes smoothly for you. I am really looking forward to the day I no longer stand out because of my weight. I want to stand out for all the right reasons!