Aqua Fitness

Options
jess_erin
jess_erin Posts: 69 Member
Hi FF&P pals,

I'm looking into enrolling in an Aqua Fitness program and just wanted to see if there was any moms to be or moms that did this while they were expecting. Was there a specifice program you liked? Did you find it a beneficial form of excersie while pregnant? Or did you find just swimming laps to be better?

I've really gotten out of my workout routine from being so sick and tired and I thought this might be a good way to get back into it (in addition to walking). I know it depends on what programs are offered in your own city but I'm just interested in your feedback. I'm looking at a 10 week Aqua Zumba class. It looks like fun and my sister said she would join me too.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    In my first pregnancy 6 years ago I took a prenatal water class at the YMCA. I went religiously, everyday after work (which was in the morning). I enjoyed it, and I think it really helped with labor. The exercises were targeted specifically for pregnancy. I remember doing alot of sciatica related exercises. I went all the way up until the day I delivered.

I haven't been able to do the same this pregnancy, due to some other issues, and I was recently in a car accident, and my car was totaled, so I have no way to get to the Y to take classes :(

Anyway, non-pregnant I've been taking the Aqua Zumba at the Y. They offer it at my Y 2x a week. It's ALOT of fun. If you've ever done regular Zumba, you'll appreciate this class. I've done it a few times in my first trimester, and just had to modify some of the moves (like twisting jumps, etc.).

If you're looking for cardio during pregnancy with low impact, then Aqua Zumba would be great. But if you're just looking for some prenatal activity/calisthetics etc. then look into a prenatal water workout.
  • mrsomeara
    mrsomeara Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I just did Aqua Fit at LA Fitness and enjoyed it. I did water aerobics at the public pool my last pregnancy as well. It's easy on your joints and feels good to be in the water. Its a nice addition to my strength training videos, elliptical, biking and walking workout routine.

Aqua Zumba sounds like a BLAST! I say you sign up :-)
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I didn't do any specific aqua program last pregnancy, but I did find that the only exercise I could comfortably do was water activity. I developed a routine of walking/running briskly in the warm therapy pool for 1/2 hour, then moving over to the regular lap lanes for about a mile's worth of lap swimming. Every woman experiences each pregnancy differently, so my recommendation is to go ahead and try it out and see how you feel.
  • jess_erin
    jess_erin Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I just registered for my Aqua Zumba with my mom, sister, and sister-in-law. I'm excited, should be fun.
  • jsimm2127
    jsimm2127 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I loved aqua aerobics with my last pregnancy. It felt so good on my aching feet to get in there and still get my heart going! I am looking for an aqua zumba class for winter at our YMCA.