Training Mask?

Options
Has anyone here tried it, or know of anyone who uses them?

Thanks in advance!

:drinker:

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I don't personally use them because I decided after some research on my own that it probably wouldn't benefit me much. I have a friend who has used/uses one, but I haven't asked for a full review from her. Last I had asked her though, she had been using it for about a month and was "eh" about it. She hadn't noticed any difference in her workouts (running, cycling, rowing, etc.).

One of the main reasons I opted to save my money was because it doesn't actually mimick higher elevation training. It basically just makes you breathe with restriction.It will help you strengthen your diaphragm since it has to learn to breathe against resistance. It does cut down on the amount of air you can get at one time, but the "make-up" of the air you're breathing is exactly the same with or without the mask. (I.e. if the air outside is 50% oxygen, it will still be 50% oxygen with the mask. You'll just been getting 25% less air with each breath. The thing with elevation is the air is actually compromised of less oxygen, not less air overall. I hope that makes sense.)

(I don't know if that's the kind of info you were looking for or not, so I hope that answered your question.)
  • FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I don't personally use them because I decided after some research on my own that it probably wouldn't benefit me much. I have a friend who has used/uses one, but I haven't asked for a full review from her. Last I had asked her though, she had been using it for about a month and was "eh" about it. She hadn't noticed any difference in her workouts (running, cycling, rowing, etc.).

One of the main reasons I opted to save my money was because it doesn't actually mimick higher elevation training. It basically just makes you breathe with restriction.It will help you strengthen your diaphragm since it has to learn to breathe against resistance. It does cut down on the amount of air you can get at one time, but the "make-up" of the air you're breathing is exactly the same with or without the mask. (I.e. if the air outside is 50% oxygen, it will still be 50% oxygen with the mask. You'll just been getting 25% less air with each breath. The thing with elevation is the air is actually compromised of less oxygen, not less air overall. I hope that makes sense.)

(I don't know if that's the kind of info you were looking for or not, so I hope that answered your question.)

wow, that made a lot of sense! thanks! (I did buy it though, before I read this. I will give my take on it in the future). Your explanation does make a lot of sense.:drinker:
  • ColossusCain
    ColossusCain Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Skip to 4:18 for your answer to elevation training masks, or watch the whole thing for all training gear q&A's. It gives the most solid answer you need on the subject.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrhc5-Fxo0g