Sub 3hr Marathon, possible or dreaming?

Options
2»

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    My HM PR is 1:52:03 and right now I am questioning whether I can run a sub 4 hr marathon. And I already have one in the books. I admire your ambition, but yeah, I do think it's a bit unrealistic. Increases in speed are not usually liner either. I have found that it takes a lot less time to go from an 11 minute mile to a 9 minute mile than it does to go from a 9 minute mile to a 7 minute mile for most races of any notable distance.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Just be cautious in your mileage build up and don't tailor your training paces to your "dream goal", but to where your fitness currently resides. Nothing will have you sidelined faster than doing workouts faster that you are capable of or running more mileage than your body is ready for.

Totally agree with you Carson :) I stuck on 30-35kms a week for nearly 3 months before this current increase.

I honestly just love getting out for time on my feet, so I doubt I'm even going to look at a proper training plan for several months yet.(Not that I've come across a 10-11 month plan) I'll just continue on my current routine with some increases in the distances. Especially getting through summer, which isn't that far away for me.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Just be cautious in your mileage build up and don't tailor your training paces to your "dream goal", but to where your fitness currently resides. Nothing will have you sidelined faster than doing workouts faster that you are capable of or running more mileage than your body is ready for.

Totally agree with you Carson :) I stuck on 30-35kms a week for nearly 3 months before this current increase.

I honestly just love getting out for time on my feet, so I doubt I'm even going to look at a proper training plan for several months yet.(Not that I've come across a 10-11 month plan) I'll just continue on my current routine with some increases in the distances. Especially getting through summer, which isn't that far away for me.

In this base building phase, the only workouts you really need to add are some striders once a week, 8 to 10 of 20 seconds or 100 meters and a weekly run with a tempo section of 20 to 30 minutes at your LT pace. Other than that, just easy running is where you need to be.
  • taeliesyn
    Options

In this base building phase, the only workouts you really need to add are some striders once a week, 8 to 10 of 20 seconds or 100 meters and a weekly run with a tempo section of 20 to 30 minutes at your LT pace. Other than that, just easy running is where you need to be.

Thanks for the advice :) I'll try and stick to it.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I LOVE PEOPLE that set their own STANDARDS HIGH!
    GOOD FOR YOU!
    GO GET THEM!
    PROVE THEM WRONG
    KICK SOME BUTT
  • MSRunner23
    Options
    Here's a good test. Go and run as many miles as you can at 6:51/mile. If you can make it 26.2 miles, you can do a sub-3 hour marathon.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Here's a good test. Go and run as many miles as you can at 6:51/mile. If you can make it 26.2 miles, you can do a sub-3 hour marathon.

:drinker:
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

Thanks Capt. Obvious.
  • MSRunner23
    Options

Thanks Capt. Obvious.

I like to keep it simple like that.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Arguably if you could do 26.2 miles of 6:51 by yourself on a training run you could do a real race a fair bit faster.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Arguably if you could do 26.2 miles of 6:51 by yourself on a training run you could do a real race a fair bit faster.

Assuming it's not too hot, or too hilly and that all the stars align properly...of course.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU!
    GO GET THEM!
    PROVE THEM WRONG
    KICK SOME BUTT

CRASH AND BURN
    HAVE A MISERABLE EXPERIENCE AND SWEAR OFF MARATHONS FOREVER

OP please disregard that advice and listen to what Carson is telling you.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU!
    GO GET THEM!
    PROVE THEM WRONG
    KICK SOME BUTT

CRASH AND BURN

+2 to that...

AND WHY ARE YOU YELLING?
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU!
    GO GET THEM!
    PROVE THEM WRONG
    KICK SOME BUTT

CRASH AND BURN

+2 to that...

AND WHY ARE YOU YELLING?

Yelling makes you appear to be an authority.

YOU DIDN"T KNOW THAT?!?!
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My first half was 1:57. My first full was 3:30. I plan to go for 3:15 in november and then shoot to break a 3 hour marathon in chicago next year (with BOston in between). I think you can do it. I wasn't sure I could, but I spent this summer racing shorter distances and I am feeling very confident now. you can do it!!! You won't break that 3 hr in 3 months, but give yourself a year or more of solid training and then see where you are.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    haha, after reading the thread i see i am contrary to what most have said, but I still think you can keep it as a goal as long as you work smart towards it. Build mileage, add strides, add some tempo after that, have off season months to pull back running and strength train, work on getting body fat down and eating right, feuling...etc.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU!
    GO GET THEM!
    PROVE THEM WRONG
    KICK SOME BUTT

CRASH AND BURN

Don't worry David I'm bold with my goals, but not stupid about attaining them! :)