Scan coming up

Options
I had/have cancer in my liver of unknown primary (maybe bile duct or colon, but they really don't know). I have a scan coming up in a couple weeks. My last one in June was clean, but I'm very apprehensive about this one. They are tracking two tumor markers for me (CEA and CA 19-9). While I have been on chemo, the CEA has been bouncing around and just went 0.1 ng/ml over normal for my last blood test. I know one test doesn't mean anything (especially this particular marker) and that trends are important, but I'm still really, really nervous. My CA 19-9 number has been completely stable since April, so that makes me feel a little better. They usually change together when something is wrong. The CEA can be impacted by liver irritation and a bunch of other things, which my chemo definitely can do (although my liver numbers have been normal).I am waiting to see what my numbers look like from the blood they took yesterday. I'm nervous about that too.

I guess I just needed to vent. I hate this so much. I live my life in three month increments and it's awful.

Replies

• Alsison
    Alsison Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    You have every right to vent!

I truly understand what it is like waiting in tests. All you can do is try not to let your worries get the best of you.

My motto ever since being diagnosed with rectal cancer is breathe in... breathe out... repeat.

Hugs,
    Alison
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I hate it too. I wish there was no such thing as cancer. Good luck on your scan, and be good to yourself in the meantime. =)
  • ghnewport
    ghnewport Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    ...I hate this so much. I live my life in three month increments and it's awful.

Your'e right about it being awful. I've been living the three month increments for about 8 years now. I think it's finally getting to me. Might be time to up the head meds.
  • Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you are going through this right now. It seems like chemo can cause so many weird and unpredictable changes in our bodies -- such as making that CEA number bounce around. It sounds like the other marker is more reliable, and that one is stable.

I hope the time period until your scan passes as quickly as possible.
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I had the scan yesterday. Now I just have to wait for the results...
  • Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Just checking in on you . . .