Just got VSG yesterday and first night home

Options
Hey folks. Glad to have found this group! Well I had my VSG yesterday 9/10/14. I'm home now and so far it's been tough. The hours after surgery I mostly slept and was groggy from the anesthesia. Now that I'm home, I have pain. I have a few sharp pains that I attribute to gas? Inside my abdominal area form time to time and obviously my biggest incision hurts most where they pulled out my stomach. I really hope things get better and better quicker cause even with pain meds (Vicodin), I'm really uncomfortable.

Any tips advice or some support on feeling better? I'm really nervous at the moment and I know the pain and uncomfortableness is causing me to over think things. I hope it gets better soon :/

Replies

• asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Greg: First off congrats, welcome to your "new" life. The pain is probably gas, the best thing you can do is take little sips of water, walk (even around the house or yard it will get the gas moving) take your pain meds and rest. Repeat. Your body needs to heal so be kind to yourself. I held a pillow to my stomach when I had to cough, and slept in the lazy boy because it was to uncomfortable in the bed the first few day.
    I wish that I could fast forward the clock for you. The one good thing is that this will be a distant memory in no time.
    I wish you all the best.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Try some gas-ex strips and even though you don't feel like it get up and move as much as possible! Sip water or G2 continually. Set a timer remind you to drink if you have to for the first few days. Also, just my personal experience, but Vicodin can be rough on the stomach and cause nausea on a GOOD day. Your stomach is not having a good day. For me, at least, I found Jr Tylenol worked as well and didn't make me sicker. It WILL get better!
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'll presume your surgeon still has you on just water and broth? That's how it was for me for about a week post op. It's just gas and I say 'Just' lightly. It's awful, but it will pass...literally. Get out of bed and walk walk walk. It gets it moving. Keep sipping your liquids so you stay hydrated. The narcotics aren't going to help gas pain too much and remember, narcotics slow down the gut, so the gas moves slower. The narcotics are for surgical pain, so if you can save them for night when you're trying to sleep and stay awake and walk around during the day, you're going to start feeling really better really fast.

And yes, give it a few days, things get better. you're in for a lot of adjustments, but will start to appreciate your new life pretty soon. All my best to you.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You will feel better pretty quickly. Keep moving, and keep pushing liquids, and you'll be in good shape soon :)
  • MistyHiker
    MistyHiker Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Greg: First off congrats, welcome to your "new" life. The pain is probably gas, the best thing you can do is take little sips of water, walk (even around the house or yard it will get the gas moving) take your pain meds and rest. Repeat. Your body needs to heal so be kind to yourself. I held a pillow to my stomach when I had to cough, and slept in the lazy boy because it was to uncomfortable in the bed the first few day.
    I wish that I could fast forward the clock for you. The one good thing is that this will be a distant memory in no time.
    I wish you all the best.

Exact same thoughts here!! Move around, even slowly, is very important. It will defiantly help with the gas.

I will always remember my 1st night back for the rest of my life. But mine was because some way some how I got hiccups! The most painful hiccups of my life! I was doubled over holding a pillow and screaming with each hiccup.
    (shuddering at the memories)

Gas X strips was my best friend the 1st 3 weeks - LOL!

Congrats and use your new tool well!
  • Shabambam
    Shabambam Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Congrats! And welcome! I had that pain too (I am 1 month post-op) and it was the worst feeling. Once I started walking around the house I started feeling so much better! Take everything slow. Everyone told me the first couple of weeks were the hardest part and they were so right! Hang in there! :-)
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Walk,walk, walk,sip,sip,sip, I think the pain meds make things worse IMHO, I used Tylenol exclusively. I got out on Friday and was back at work on monday
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on having your surgery behind you. Sorry you are having so much pain. I haven't had my surgery yet so I cannot speak from personal experience. Wishing you a speedy recovery. There is a lot of support on the site. Keep posting and asking questions and hopefully you will get some suggestions that will help you through the first difficult days and weeks.
    Hang in there. :smile:
  • Mom2Cubs
    Mom2Cubs Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You will feel better everyday. The gas should stop in the next day and the sugery scars will heal pretty quickly. Stay hydrated and move as much as you can. Remember, small sips. Drinking too large of a sip will cause pain, too. I went and bought baby spoons to eat wth so I wouldn't take to big of a bite of anything and used them for the broth too, so i wouldn't take too much in. Good luck.
  • Sharbear73
    Sharbear73 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you have been in pain. I am super excited for you though! :)
    Your surgeon removed your stomach? Mine says they won't. I'm so confused.
  • shoppinglady1972
    shoppinglady1972 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others...make sure you get your liquids in and walk, walk, walk!!! I was really uncomfortable for a few days as well, but each day was a little better. Just be sure to follow your drs and nutritionists instructions and you will be great!!
    Congrats!!! Once you get past this, you will LOVE it!!
  • lbrown1428
    lbrown1428 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I just had mine 9/12/2014 and I'm really not sore other than when I first get up from sitting or laying. Everyone is different. I fill like my stomach still has to be in there since I haven't felt full from my 2 oz of purees each meal. I also keel having feelings like my stomach is rumbling which is pretty uncomfortable until it passes.
  • ChefBH
    ChefBH Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hang in there…i promise it only gets better and soon you don't remember any of it being a big deal…just how worth it it is
  • Cathiesunday
    Cathiesunday Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just had my VSG on Monday, September 8, 2014. I thought that I'd be able to go back to work 10 days later, because it was "just laparoscopic surgery." Surprise! It hurt a lot more than I was prepared for. I've been taking Hydrocodone and it works pretty good, but since it's a narcotic, I can't drive. I'm going stir crazy! I'm going to switch to Tylenol liquid tomorrow. Actually, I only have one pain area left. The PA, at my Post Op appointment, said it hurts where they pulled my stomach out. She said they cut a muscle and now, as it heals it pulls and spasms. Even with the pain meds I can't bend down to pick anything up without getting killer zingers. Forget socks and shoes. Fingers crossed that it stays warm here in WI so I can wear flip flops.
  • Cathiesunday
    Cathiesunday Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Upside, I haven't had gas or nausea and everything is staying down just fine. Good luck fellow VSGers!