Any one do ParkRuns

Options
pietomb00
pietomb00 Posts: 69 Member
Hi all,

I was planning on doing a Parkrun this Saturday just gone, but over selpt! Will be doing one next week hopefully. Was wondering if anyone else did them, where, and if you enjoy it?

For those that don't know, parkrun(.org) are a weekly timed run held in lots of places around the country (and world) on a Saturday morning at 9.

Replies

• helenkenny9212
    helenkenny9212 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Sounds so cool. I am super out of practice and have put on a lot of weight since my last 5/10k. I think I'll get back up to being able to do a full 5k non-stop and then join in. Cheers
  • nowornever250
    nowornever250 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi

I run a parkrun most weeks - well run might be an overstatement some weeks! It doesnt matter if you run, jog or walk everyone is very friendly and most weeks someone seems to have made cake to go with a post run cuppa! I think we are lucky in Middlesbrough as we have 5 in the Tees Valley, plus another one in nearby Darlington.

Parkrun has been a stepping stone for me to step up to 10k and half marathons, its a good way to start the weekend :)

Thanks Anne
  • mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yup, Im a regular runner at the Strathclyde park run, great group of people there, super supportive and I would highly recommend anyone that fancies taking up running, or looking to improve to have a look at their local park run.
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Yep love parkrun, I havent been in able to do one in a while due to knee injury - however I'm looking to go back this weekend - either the Delamere and Warrington routes

:happy:
  • KnickersInATwist
    KnickersInATwist Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I keep meaning to do it (the one in liverpool) but I keep procrastinating. This weekend though... Maybe ;)
  • pietomb00
    Options
    Glad to hear that others do these runs and enjoy it!

Turns out it was a good job I didn't try to go to my local one this past weekend, it had been cancelled as some other running event was on.
    I keep meaning to do it (the one in liverpool) but I keep procrastinating. This weekend though... Maybe ;)

I'm exactly the same, I'll make you a deal, how about we both go this weekend? (albeit to different ones)
  • runeatrunlive
    runeatrunlive Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Love Parkrun!

Although recently it's been more tempting for me to stay in bed... I don't even have an excuse as I'm in Scotland and Parkrun starts half an hour later here!

How is everyone getting on timewise? Any new PB's recently?
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Once I find a cheap enough running buggy I hope to do park runs. Guildford is our nearest but I want to do the Whitstable one too: by the sea and a combo of dead flat and rather steep.
  • aprilh47
    aprilh47 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    ive just registered but dont think i will be going straight away, i havent even done my usual 3k for last 2 weeks have managed to do 5k straight since before race for life in june.
  • nige101
    nige101 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Its something to aim for , just starting c25k on week one :-)
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K in the spring with a goal of running a 5K Race For Life. It has been very surprisingly addictive and I can run 10K now. Saturday mornings are busy for me, so no Park Runs :-(
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Volunteered as a marshall last year. Motivated, me to get out of bed on a Sat morning :)
  • FoodieMotion
    FoodieMotion Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Did the Huddersfield one when I was visiting my bro and we have one in Tilgate (Crawley) and in Horsham (where I live). I've been out with injury but are doing a couple of 5k runs before I return to do a park run again.
  • aprilh47
    Options
    I'm all ready for my first one on Saturday (Wakefield). Looking forward to it but not expecting a very good time and expect to be last on the time list. But im seeing as my benchmark to aim to beat next week.
  • FoodieMotion
    Options
    Good luck hun.

If you get a chance one weekend go to the Huddersfield one. It is massive and a very good crowd of supporters too :smile:
  • aprilh47
    Options
    really enjoyed doing the park run this morning, well from about 4k onwards. very please with myself and my time, kept a nice steady pace and did it 38.44 my all time personal best.
  • pietomb00
    Options
    really enjoyed doing the park run this morning, well from about 4k onwards. very please with myself and my time, kept a nice steady pace and did it 38.44 my all time personal best.

Well done!

I finally managed to drag myself out of bed this weekend and completed it (Alice holt), turns out I'm not very good at the "racing" bit of running, spent the first 2.5km slowly trying to overtake people and not wanting to get in anyone's way.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Yeh me :) I do the Ormskirk one and Liverpool
  • Laurochka
    Laurochka Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've started going to Edinburgh Park run and it's great. There's a friendly atmosphere and people of all ages and abilities. I also find the official time results quite motivating.
  • FoodieMotion
    Options
    This weekend is the 10 year anniversary of Park Run.

I like the fact that some of them organise pacers for if you want to aim towards a faster time or know you're on track for your time.