vomiting during WOD - what is the goal here?

Options
Guys,

This is my first post here! Hi. I've been going to the early morning crossfit for 1 month. There is a nice strength/skill part and then a Metcon (the intense stuff). Well, it seems that my body enjoys throwing up right at the end of the Metcon (has happenned twice now). I've been going for a month and I believe that I am now at a point where I can push harder and perhaps this causes me to vomit.

What I've been doing is waking an hour before the workout so I can drink a cup of coffee and have some vitamin-c and fish oil along with water. Today I ate a handful of grapes along with a Tums tablet (to attempt to cancel out the acid from the grapes and coffee). I've heard some people say an empty stomach is better and some say eat a banana.

Do you have any suggestions on what I can do better to avoid vomiting? Or, is vomiting the goal?

Edit: I know vomiting isn't the goal.. my goal is progression and physical health/well being.

Replies

• thatjeffsmith
    thatjeffsmith Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Just reading the words 'fish oil' makes me want to throw up.

I wake up at 5:20 for a 6AM class, and I only have water - but everyone's different.

Just do what feels right/good.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I will dry heave every time I work out fasted. I definitely don't want to throw up fish oil.

I eat 1 1/2 hours before my WOD, figuring that if the hard part will usually start about 20-30 minutes after I arrive. I eat oatmeal and a banana every day. I'm not paleo because my body did not cooperate during the month I went off oatmeal pre-WOD. If I eat bacon for breakfast, I will vomit during the warm up.

Some people can work out fasted. I can't even drive to the gas station fasted.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Guys,

This is my first post here! Hi. I've been going to the early morning crossfit for 1 month. There is a nice strength/skill part and then a Metcon (the intense stuff). Well, it seems that my body enjoys throwing up right at the end of the Metcon (has happenned twice now). I've been going for a month and I believe that I am now at a point where I can push harder and perhaps this causes me to vomit.

What I've been doing is waking an hour before the workout so I can drink a cup of coffee and have some vitamin-c and fish oil along with water. Today I ate a handful of grapes along with a Tums tablet (to attempt to cancel out the acid from the grapes and coffee). I've heard some people say an empty stomach is better and some say eat a banana.

Do you have any suggestions on what I can do better to avoid vomiting? Or, is vomiting the goal?

Edit: I know vomiting isn't the goal.. my goal is progression and physical health/well being.

Vomiting is never the goal. I rarely work out in the morning, but I always do so fasted. If I'm doing a hard workout I can't have food on my stomach or it's coming up, and even a CF workout is not going to burn through your glycogen stores to the point where you bonk. Just bring a few things to eat after the workout is over and your stomach is back to normal.
  • laser_goat
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys! I'll try a totally empty stomach - coffee just helps so much!
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Gonna repeat everyone on this. I typically work out fasted, but in the last couple of years have begun to figure out what I can and cannot eat within a 2 hour window of beginning a WOD thanks to time restrictions at competitions. For whatever reason, certain Cliff Bars will stay down and others will threaten to come back up but generally I find that they, along with a banana or a handful of almonds gives me enough energy to continue through workout after workout. SO if I'm starving, or I know it will be one of those grinders that will be especially tough to finish without the energy from some food, that's typically what I'll eat prior to a workout.

ETA: vomiting is the exact opposite of the goal. If you need to take a little breather in the middle of the workout to keep everything down DO THAT, don't keep pushing if you feel like you're going to make yourself puke. Go a little slower if you need to.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I work out fasted, first thing in the morning. I've never thrown up or heaved and, no, that is definitely NOT the goal.
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I work out fasted, first thing in the morning. I've never thrown up or heaved and, no, that is definitely NOT the goal.

Ditto.
  • FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am a PUSH IT TO MY LIMITS kind of athlete. I HAVE to eat. I know I need the reserve calories that I am going to burn up. If I DON'T eat, I know I could possibly throw up or maybe even faint if I deplete all my energy. But, that is me... I can actually eat 10 min before a WOD and it not affect me due to training my body to handle the food. I never feel like I have to vomit on a full stomach...

oh boy.... how we are all different:noway:
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I do a 6 AM class and I don't eat before and I workout just fine, but either way works for me, because when I do the 9 AM class I eat before and it works just as fine.

Try doing it on an empty stomach and see how that feels, each one of us handles stuff differently

Goodluck
  • bonz1481
    bonz1481 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also don't eat before a morning workout (exception: if im up a FEW hours prior to workout I'll eat something light -- as in I'm up at 730 and not working out until 10 on a Saturday) -- no coffee - or i vom. :(

Two things that help me -- as I'm a known puker:
    1. stay hydrated.
    2. eating enough the night before. I didn't eat enough dinner last night -- and I felt like death during my workout this morning

Also -- after a while -- my body just got used to it....
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Gonna repeat everyone on this. I typically work out fasted, but in the last couple of years have begun to figure out what I can and cannot eat within a 2 hour window of beginning a WOD thanks to time restrictions at competitions. For whatever reason, certain Cliff Bars will stay down and others will threaten to come back up but generally I find that they, along with a banana or a handful of almonds gives me enough energy to continue through workout after workout. SO if I'm starving, or I know it will be one of those grinders that will be especially tough to finish without the energy from some food, that's typically what I'll eat prior to a workout.

ETA: vomiting is the exact opposite of the goal. If you need to take a little breather in the middle of the workout to keep everything down DO THAT, don't keep pushing if you feel like you're going to make yourself puke. Go a little slower if you need to.

This. I've just stopped a few times during workouts where i ate too quickly and we were doing burpees. Just the act of my belly hitting the floor was ruining me. Coach walked over to make sure I was OK, told her what was going on and just stayed down and did a few max reps of push ups until things got back under control.
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I will dry heave every time I work out fasted. I definitely don't want to throw up fish oil.

I eat 1 1/2 hours before my WOD, figuring that if the hard part will usually start about 20-30 minutes after I arrive. I eat oatmeal and a banana every day. I'm not paleo because my body did not cooperate during the month I went off oatmeal pre-WOD. If I eat bacon for breakfast, I will vomit during the warm up.

Some people can work out fasted. I can't even drive to the gas station fasted.

I am the same!! I don't know how people do crossfit fasted. I wouldn't be able to do anything!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    LOL I know. I've had to pull over on the way to work before to dry heave when I've not had time to eat breakfast. The idea of doing CF fasted, well I threw up in my mouth a little just now thinking about it as well. :laugh:
  • bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I started doing my morning workouts fasted and don't eat within 2 hours when I workout in the afternoons--I've found that I perform even better fasted than not. But everyone is different. The only time I've gotten close to puking is after Karen (150 wall balls) and I made the mistake of not cooling down properly before driving. I also find that if I take an antihistimine before I workout that it helps my equilibrium (I have bad sinuses that can make me dizzy and nauseous).
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I do a 5.45am class and have nothing except water. I think if I had fish oil 1st I'd throw up too.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    For early morning workouts I usually will have 1/2 a banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter about 30+ minutes before. If I wake up late, it is usually just water.
  • crin713
    Options
    I dont eat either but I may do a protein shake while I workout. If I eat right before a workout I feel sluggish and I feel like a have to puke. No bueno for me
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Negative exercise calories!
  • ashleyxxxo
    ashleyxxxo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I do a 7am class and I always eat before hand. I even have coffee.. If I don't put something in my stomach with the coffee I am sure my stomach would hate me. Maybe you should supplement the coffee with some carbs to soak up the acidity?
    Just a suggestion!
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Nope, I can't eat before a 7am class. I've only vomited after CF once when I've WODed on an empty stomach, after Barbara, just vommed up water. My heart rate does get up to 175bpm (that's nearly 93% of my max) sometimes and that's when I start to feel like I might puke, but I've got the hang of not letting it get any higher which reduces the vom risk.

If I'm doing an evening WOD I probably eat something 2 to 3 hours beforehand and it seems to be OK, but I often feel sick for about an hour and a half after an evening WOD and can't eat until it subsides.