Week 1 Informational and Goal-setting: Sugars and Carbs

Week 1 Informational:
Sugar:
Are you working out consistently and still not getting results you want?
Do you have belly fat and love handles that seem disproportionate to the amount of crunches you have been doing?

We eat way to much sugar in our diets. Sugar is in everything! To compensate for the "low fat" dietary approach in the 1980s and 1990s, food companies replaced fat with sugar in packaged foods. Even if something says it is "low fat" look at the sugar content. You may find it is very high!

What will sugar do to me?
Sugar increases your risk for chronic disease like diabetes and heart disease
Sugar and simple carbohydrates raise triglyceride levels and lower your good cholesterol (HDL), resulting in "bad" cholesterol ratios and high total cholesterol.
Sugar makes you sluggish.
Sugar keeps you from losing weight because your body burns the sugar instead of burning your fat reserves. The extra sugar that is not burned throughout the day goes to your waist and your hips!

Here are some ideas to help you formulate your “no-sugar goal” this week:

Cut out soft drinks and drink water only, or at the very least use no-calorie flavoring in your water (I cannot vouch for the safety of those non-calorie water flavorings)
Drink only Half and Half in your coffee, and do not use sweetened creamers (measure your Half and Half! 2 tablespoons is a serving)
Switch to a whole fruit and vegetable smoothie for one of your meals in the day (get your "5 a day" in one meal) and add a serving of non-sweetened protein powder to keep you full until your next meal
Snack on fruits and vegetables throughout the day
Look into those granola bars you have been eating, and see whether they are as healthy as they claim. They probably have a lot of sugar. You will get better results in your diet if you switch to a whole piece of fruit or raw vegetables as a snack instead

In general, a diet of low sugar, sufficient protein, and modest fat intake (considering “good” fats, which is another topic, will help you lose weight and ward off chronic disease).
Look at your sugar intake in your daily nutrition summary in My Fitness Pal and adjust accordingly
Your goal does not need to be complicated: Simple and small changes can mean great gains!

Choose your goal for this week related to cutting out sugar in your diet and post it in a response to this forum post.

If you are interested in learning more...
There is a concept called "glycemic index" (GI), which considers how fast sugars are broken down in the body. Generally, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and high fiber foods have low GI, or low glycemic load (GL). That is, they do not raise your blood sugar as much as simple carbohydrates like white bread and refined sugar.
In studies, people who ate more low-glycemic foods had less weight gain over time than those who ate refined grains and refined sugars.
This is an important component to consider in your quest for sustained weight loss!
Want to learn more?
This website from Australia has information on glycemic values in foods and provides suggestions for diet: http://www.glycemicindex.com/

Best Wishes for success! :laugh:
Elizabeth

Replies

• My goal is to cut back on my refined sugars. I like to add a couple tsp of brown sugar to my oatmeal in the morning but will try to use other flavors, such as cinnamon or dried fruit. :smile:
  • My goal is to have 1 or less diet pops per day and 1 or less small sweet per day. For the sweets, I want to really think if I need the sweet before I have it, and hold out for the really good stuff or pass it up all together. Also, working on switching out the sweets with fruits and veggies to keep me fuller and satisfied. :flowerforyou:
  • My goal is to cut out the "granola" bars that I buy and look for a healthier snack like green peppers and hummus.
  • My goal this week is to cut down to 1 diet soda per day, one smoothie meal replacement daily and utilize the diary to look for other ways to decrease refined sugar.
  • My goal is to have a homemade protein shake each morning for breakfast. (have the recipe saved on here).

Also to drink only water and black coffee for the week.
  • kittytiger442
    kittytiger442 Posts: 8 Member
    My goal is to drink 96 ounces of water a day. I will also continue having a smoothie for breakfast.( Monday- Friday)
  • Medhnurse
    Medhnurse Posts: 3 Member
    I currently drink 1 regular soda per day, sometimes a bottle and sometimes a can. My goal is to have 1 soda per day only 3 days per week.
  • My goal will be to have a fruit shake for breakfast every morning.
  • My goal for this week is to cut out all soda and replace it by drinking at least 100 ounces of water per day.
  • My goal is to drink water alone this week M-F (as I have a dinner date Sat night:happy: )
    I have changed many things in the past week already, but I'm finding sugar to be in EVERYTHING!! This is certainly an eye opener and something I need to watch out for
  • feeling very guilty as reading this eating a couple Mike and Ike's. Sassy machine in breakroom. So my goal this week is to stay way from them for the rest of the week and to drink water with no flavor in it.
  • I am really going to try to not eat sweet treats this week. I get plenty of exercise my fitbit went off by 8:00 AM I already had my 10,000 steps after working out. I just eat way too much of everything!!
  • That is wonderful! Good for you! Thank you for posting your goal. :tongue: Good on you!
  • I have a question for you, Elizabeth: the way that Fitness Pal automatically sets your guidelines for carbs, protein, sugars, etc; would you say that it is a good guideline to go by? So if Fitness Pal gives you a number for your sugar intake that day, is it okay to follow that as a guide, and still be doing well? Hope this makes sense.
  • My goal is to not have any desserts this week.
  • The guideline for carbs, proteins, and fat is a percentage, and it will change as you add food into your diary each day. It is telling you what percentage of your diet was carbohydrates, what was protein, and what percentage of what you ate was fat.

It is okay to follow this as a rough guideline.

I also want you to be more informed about different types of carbohydrates and sugars so that you can make better food choices that will translate into better health and more weight loss.

So, yes, use the pie on the "nutrition" tab as a guideline, but also realize that there are different types of sugars/carbohydrates.

I hope this makes sense. If you have more questions, please ask!

Thanks for the question!

Elizabeth
  • My goal is to drink 100 oz of water daily
  • Hi Elizabeth, still trying to navigate my way around fitness pal app; sorry for the delay in my goals/food diary.

My goal for the week: exercise twice this week and develop a routine.
  • I'm a little late on the goal - I generally use the app for myfitnesspal and I guess I can't access the group from there. I'll have to better about checking in from my laptop. My goal for the rest of the week will be to eat more fruit and vegetables rather than things with refined sugar.
  • If I am understanding the site correctly, Fitness Pal defines for you what percentage of your diet should be carbs, sugars, etc, because it will indicate that you are "over" when you reach a certain amount as you log your food (indicated by the bright red number with the negative in front!). I guess what I am asking is do you agree with the way that Fitness Pal assigns the percentages that you should go by? Or is it better to custom assign those?