Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Just Started FitBit, Already burnt 700 Cals?!

I'm just wondering if anyone can help me... I just started with my FitBit (just got one today) and it's telling me that before using the FitBit (I was charging it for the very first time) it said I had I already burnt 500 calories?! I definitely know I have NOT burnt that much so far.

I literally just put it on, drove to class and and walked for like a minute and it's saying I burnt 700 calories. Please help! I don't want this to affect my MFP log.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Fitbit accounts for all the calories you burn in a day. This includes your BMR. When you first set it up, it will account for your BMR from midnight all the way up until you set it up.

For example:
    if I had set mine up at noon
    my bmr is roughly 1536 right now
    based on my bmr I burn roughly 16 calories every 15 mins
    from midnight - noon I burn roughly 768 calories just by being alive not including any steps I take
    This means even if I do nothing all day, I will burn 1536 in a 24 hr period.
    Any movement/activity is an additional burn on top of that number.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Oh and it won't add calories until it thinks you will burn more than MFP's estimate. You can view MFP's estimate by going here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals

The amount MFP estimates you will burn before exercise is on the right hand side. For me, it's 1960.

When you sync your fitbit, MFP will look at how many calories you have burned so far and make an estimate of how many you will burn by midnight (this will change with each sync) then it does this:

Fitbit estimate based on last sync - MFP estimate = adjustment (can be negative if you have negative adjustments turned on)

Mine is currently:
    2353 (based on 2204 as of 10:10pm)
    ______
    393 calories added as an adjustment
  • prestonam
    prestonam Posts: 24 Member
    Yep it's before 2pm here & I have already burnt 1656 calories. (this high because I have already done over 8k steps & extra exercise) 700 is totally normal for being awake a few hours - you burn calories sleeping too - your organs need to keep working, blood pumping etc. Don't panic - Fitbit is reliable ask anyone who uses it. :-) Good Luck on your journey
  • Oh and it won't add calories until it thinks you will burn more than MFP's estimate. You can view MFP's estimate by going here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals

The amount MFP estimates you will burn before exercise is on the right hand side. For me, it's 1960.

When you sync your fitbit, MFP will look at how many calories you have burned so far and make an estimate of how many you will burn by midnight (this will change with each sync) then it does this:

Fitbit estimate based on last sync - MFP estimate = adjustment (can be negative if you have negative adjustments turned on)

Mine is currently:
    2353 (based on 2204 as of 10:10pm)
    ______
    393 calories added as an adjustment

Oh, thanks heaps! So you're essentially saying that it won't make the adjustment onto MFP until that calculation is made?
    Thanks again, I really appreciate the help!
  • Yep it's before 2pm here & I have already burnt 1656 calories. (this high because I have already done over 8k steps & extra exercise) 700 is totally normal for being awake a few hours - you burn calories sleeping too - your organs need to keep working, blood pumping etc. Don't panic - Fitbit is reliable ask anyone who uses it. :-) Good Luck on your journey

Oh! So it means that your constantly burning calories to keep you alive, however these can be increased when you do exercise? And that's when the adjustment comes up on MFP?

Thanks for responding :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    One thing you may change though since syncing it.

In your Fitbit Settings - Calorie Estimation - disable it.
    Unless every day is about equal, and you think you'll be prone to forgetting it, then keep it enabled.

That setting tells Fitbit to estimate any point in time based on historical data as to total daily burn.
    Then that is sent to MFP. Which also does some math to estimate total daily burn - that combo can be troublesome unless each day really is about equal.

With it disabled, your daily burn estimate is figured to be sedentary level of activity, until you actually burn more.
    That usually works out better for MFP's math.

And yes, MFP already made an estimate of your daily maintenance without exercise - when you selected non-exercise activity level - Sedentary perhaps?
    Fitbit is just helping MFP to make that more accurate. Including exercise when done.
    Since it's all about merely eating less than you burn, and MFP always removes the same deficit from what it looks like you burned, Fitbit is just making that more accurate.
  • One thing you may change though since syncing it.

Unless every day is about equal, and you think you'll be prone to forgetting it, then keep it enabled.

That setting tells Fitbit to estimate any point in time based on historical data as to total daily burn.
    Then that is sent to MFP. Which also does some math to estimate total daily burn - that combo can be troublesome unless each day really is about equal.

With it disabled, your daily burn estimate is figured to be sedentary level of activity, until you actually burn more.

And yes, MFP already made an estimate of your daily maintenance without exercise - when you selected non-exercise activity level - Sedentary perhaps?
    Fitbit is just helping MFP to make that more accurate. Including exercise when done.
    Since it's all about merely eating less than you burn, and MFP always removes the same deficit from what it looks like you burned, Fitbit is just making that more accurate.

Hi!

Thanks so much for the explanation. I just checked my settings and it says that that area was already disabled, so that's good.
    In regards to where you mentioned selecting a non-exercise activity level "Sedentary", do you know how to set this? I'm not sure whether I've actually put in anything for this yet.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    One thing you may change though since syncing it.

Hi!

Thanks so much for the explanation. I just checked my settings and it says that that area was already disabled, so that's good.
    In regards to where you mentioned selecting a non-exercise activity level "Sedentary", do you know how to set this? I'm not sure whether I've actually put in anything for this yet.

On MFP Profile under settings, you selected your daily activity level. Majority select Sedentary to be "on the safe side", true or not.

And you don't want to just select that level, if it's true yes, but if it's not you'll get big adjustments everyday without exercise.
    In which case, truer would be Lightly Active. Easier to plan the day, because smaller adjustment.
  • Andrea4456
    Andrea4456 Posts: 39 Member
    I had a similar problem with my fitbit, and I contacted fitbit - come to find out my time zone was set to Hawaii time.... and I'm on the east coast. After I fixed my timezone (via Fitbit website or app), it's been accurate.

Hope this helps!
  • leon0897
    leon0897 Posts: 35 Member
    Quick quesiton, with the fitbit updating to MFP, are you suppose to try to consume less total calories from the excercise, or food or both? Example should i want a remaining calorie number of 0 everyday or a huge remaining balance? Based on fitbit i'm at almost 1400 excercise calories burned and I haven't even did my nightly workout yet. Even factoring breakfast and lunch I've only consumed 960 food calories. This could give someone the impression that they could have a huge (2000) calorie dinner and still be on the way to weight loss. Its hard for me to buy that.