How much can my time improve?

Options
I have a 5k in 8 weeks that I'm hoping to get under 23:08 for. My last 5k I did it in 23:13, that was back in mid June 2014. I've been running but not pushing too hard. Right now I'm doing a 5k at a little under 25 minutes in just running on the treadmill with 1% grade.

Think I can cut 2 minutes in 8 weeks? How can I go about this the best way possible?

Replies

• JenRunTriHappyGirl
    Options
    I have found that distance training helps with my speed on shorter runs. Also, if you are wanting to cut that much time off of an ALREADY fast 5K, I would start running outside. Your body definitely needs to adjust to the elements. I am in Florida, and with the heat and humidity reaching above 100 degrees almost everyday for the past 2 weeks, I would die if I only ran on a treadmill and then tried to run outside.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend ditching the treadmill and get out and jog 4-5 miles 3-4 days a week with some hills mixed in there.

Good Luck

29509743.png
  • RunningMartin
    RunningMartin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Repeats / Intervals will help with speed as well as Tempo runs.

Such as 16 x 200m at 90% your max - Progressing to 11 x 400 or even 8 x 600!

Try to do a tempo run and an interval session at least once a week and be sure to have a rest day.. Oh and get outside!!!