Dark/milk chocolate

llbow
llbow Posts: 8 Member
A friend of mine asked me if chocolate was vegan/vegetarian friendly. I honestly did not know the answer. Can someone shed some light for me please?

Replies

• daveinreston
    daveinreston Posts: 15 Member
    Not milk chocolate, but most dark chocolates I have found are vegan. Ingredients list on the package will confirm. Dark chocolates taste better anyway!

I have found a few that sweeten with stevia instead of sugar that are good too. My favorite treat is to freeze a ripe banana and then blend it and frozen cherries in my vitamix. After blending, I fold in a handful of dark chocolate chips (Lily's Dark Chocolate uses stevia and is 55 cals for 60 chips) and enjoy!
  • llbow
    llbow Posts: 8 Member
    Thank you!!! :wink:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    There are some specific vegan milk chocolate. Some are better than others I personally like the plamil and moo free which are available in the UK not sure about any where else. Be careful with dark chocolate don't assume a large majority especially the more mainstream brands still have some milk in.
  • kimglasson
    kimglasson Posts: 3 Member
    I use Sunfoods Chocolate Cacao Powder in smoothies and banana ice cream and for making brownies. The only ingredient is certified organic cacao. It's processed at a low temperature so it is still loaded with antioxidants. Lots of minerals too. Good stuff. It's vegan and raw..
  • I have noticed the stuff specifically marketed as vegan chocolate is crazy expensive! But in Safeway there's the Safeway Select brand of Orange and Raspberry that's vegan, and the Almond blueberry one is vegan too :) Only $2.50 for a large bar which is half of what you would pay for the specific vegan stuff.