Kitchen gadgets

Options
Hey guys!

Just wondering what kitchen gadgets did you all use going into the puree stage? I am not there yet, but I like the idea of being organised!

What did you use that was invaluable to you!

Replies

• foxymitchell
    foxymitchell Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Congrats on your new journey. A few things I got were a bullet (for making smoothies & protein shakes), a grater, a meat tenderizer (hammer looking thing), and a digital food scale. Feel free to be-friend me.
    Good luck
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Digital food scale -- make sure it has a tare function and weighs in both metric and imperial
    Food processor - I used the Cuisinart Mini Prep Plus
    Blender for protein shakes - I use a Cuisinart immersion blender. I think immersion blenders are the best for shakes because they don't cause your shakes to get foamy and frothy by putting air in them.
    Food thermometer -- if you plan to mix protein powder into hot coffee, tea, or soup, or plan to use the popular Unjury chicken soup protein powder, you'll need to be sure the liquid is under 130 degrees or the protein will curdle (gross!)
    Good luck and feel free to friend me if you like. My diary is open to friends.
  • candicevaughn
    candicevaughn Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Food scale, measuring cup, food processor. I'm going to get a Ninja today. The blender I have now has been okay for protein shakes but I don't think it's going to hack it for the puree stage. A blender bottle is also very helpful for those times you don;t want to pull out a food processor. I couldn't have done my pre-op without it. Today is my last day on full liquids and I start puree tomorrow. I also have a thermos that i adore. Warm decaff tea goes down so much easier than room temp liquids and I can't tolerate cold liquids at all. The thermos helps me travel and get that warm tea in also.
  • becskimo
    Options
    Thanks guys! Great advice and now it looks like I will have to do some shopping.... :D
  • JxAAA
    JxAAA Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My food scale and my Ninja are my 2 best kitchen friends! Check out the Ninja Master Prep, it's 3 cannisters/mixer things and 1 motor. I love it, I use it for food processing and shakes. The rest of my family loves it too for smoothies and icees.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a nutribullet. I had seen some previous posters here talk about it. I got one that can be used for blending/pureeing both hot and cold. I'm thinking in the liquid phase I can use it to mix up batches of soup that I can eat/freeze. Then, in the pureeing phase I can use it to blend up some meat & broth to the correct consistency. I kind of think pureed meat sounds a little icky, but probably at that point I will be happy to have the taste of real meat.
  • lbrown1428
    lbrown1428 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I just eat foods that can be cut with a butter knife. Such as eggs of any kind, canned chicken or fish. And mash up my veggies and fruits. The nutritionist for my sleeve told us they consider anything that can be cut with a butter knife pureed. I know it's different from surgeon to surgeon. We were also told tk never weigh our food to measure instead.
  • becskimo
    Options
    Hey guys!

Thanks for all the awesome advice. Just went shopping and bought a sunbeam cheapy version of the magic bullet and some funky scales that measure all kinds of things asides from just weight! It will be nice to be able to look at body fat and hydration levels too! Oh and some kitchen scales as well. Feeling much more prepared and happy.

Also just made my optifast shake for lunch in my faux-bullet... lots of ice, some benefibre, a serving of Davinci sugar free caramal flavour and a banana optifast.... I could start really enjoying this!
  • becskimo
    Options
    Pureed meat in liquid does sound a little icky... but at the time I bet it will taste like the most awesome thing ever! Heck, even on optifast that sounds great....