PCOS and weight loss, what works for you?

Options
I'm tying to bust some myths....
I've heard over the years that the following things should be cut from my diet to improve weight loss with PCOS;
.wheat
.dairy
.fat
.carbs
.protein
.sugar

So that's pretty much all food groups!
I've also heard that a person with PCOS should have a low glycemic diet too.
I'm under the impression that carbs are a no-no but i personally struggle without them, they keep me going, they keep me full..
Anyway, what's worked/working for you?

Surely, a balanced diet and excessive is enough for anyone to loose weight, even us 'cysters'

Xx

Replies

• VaxSA
    VaxSA Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Low glycemic is true, thats no myth. It correlates to the amount of sugar we have in our blood at any given time, forcing the release of insulin. It is highly recommended that women with PCOS eat low GI.

I personally stand that by that, as well.

However, I choose to eat very low carb for a kickstart, thats what works for me. Low carbs, NO added sugar. I am also low dairy at the moment, but that happened as a side effect, it wasnt on purpose.

All you can do is what works for you, every single body is different. If you can carb load and still lose (or whatever your goals may be) then more power to you and I am wearing my envy face!

A balanced diet and excessive exercise was not enough for me, no. I did a whole year of 2 hours at the gym, 5 days a week, following a 1200cal diet under a nutritionist...didnt cheat...still gained 20 kilos (and no it wasnt muscle lol, I wish). The extent of your insulin resistance means alot. No person with PCOS is the same as the next person as their resistance is different. Those with less resistance have a bit of a better time with the weight loss, but not necessarily with fertility, and those with higher resistance are pretty much ****ed, unless you go on meds and follow a very strict monitored diet.

^^ I am at that stage, on meds and a super strict diet. I wouldnt wish it on (almost) anyone.

Sorry to keep responding to your posts, I just wish the PCOS community was a littlemore active! We are unique in our dietary requirements!
  • fayelobeck89
    fayelobeck89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    No! Keep the replies coming! I am the same, I wish the PCOS community was more active too, I like to learn about things and have lots of different angles to learn from.

Thanks for clearing up the glycemic part of it, I'm curious how that works?

I find mostly what I crave more than anythig is sugary food, I wonder if this has something to do with the PCOS rather than just something that's hard for me.

I find cutting down on carbs hard, but I have started noticing that they make me feel sluggish, I'm going to trade in my 'white' foods for whole grain/wholemeal (pasta,bread,etc) and I need to work more on my fitness, long walks work well for me but I'm VERY fatigued in the afternoons, right now I have such a bad headache and all I want is chocolate for a pick-me-up.

I'm still learning about what works for me, I've cut down carbs and I'm eating more fruit and veg to fill me up instead of crisps, crackers and other snacks that aren't as healthy but hunger comes quicker by doing this so I know I need to tweak my diet somehow... Not sure how at the moment though haha
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    having someone go to the gym with me is my biggest help in weight loss. The next one would be meal planing and making sure that I get enough protein so I don't crave things so much
  • itoperz
    itoperz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've tried removing wheat from my diet, but over time, I just wasn't noticing any difference. I think each person is different and I'm just not the type that would respond to that change. Might work for some, but not for me.
  • fayelobeck89
    Options
    Thanks ladies. It's hard work isn't it!
    I've started doing more 'low GI' meals and researching more foods
    To get a feel for what is actually low glycemic and what is high and ive
    Been carful to curb the snacking and upping the water intake and I've lost 7lb so far so something's working :)
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Honestly for me it was eating the right amount and exercising regurally. I am on a plan that give me exactly 1500 calories. I eat that, it's all measure out for me and I lose weight. I exercise five/six days a week (with my partner) and can lose normally.
  • jerseymack23
    jerseymack23 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating gluten (so wheat), and lost 10 lbs. in 2 months. I haven't done strict dieting or exercising in those 2 months, so it's pretty remarkable with PCOS.
  • courtneyh1083
    courtneyh1083 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I believe a clean diet is what helps me the most. It doesn't matter if I'm wheat free or dairy free... sugar free however, whole different ball park. I notice a huge difference in how I feel if I'm not eating processed sugar and the weight comes off much quicker.
  • fayelobeck89
    Options
    Thanks ladies, so far I've cut the carb intake and I'm working towards a low glycemic diet :)
  • iloveowls216
    Options
    I try to not eat after 7pm. I've noticed on days that I have had more calories than I should or foods I shouldn't eat, if I don't eat late I still lose weight or at least stay the same. I also try to walk between 2 and 5 miles a day.
  • fayelobeck89
    Options
    Does anyone watch their macro?
    I'm concerned that mine may not be
    At levels I should be following?
    Like should I lower them?
    I've also read about carbs, are they something
    We should be really cautious of?
  • anlenz
    anlenz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    For me, a low fat diet is what has been working over the last seven weeks. My RE has me on Metformin to see if that helps with the weight loss. I have PCO, but I am not insulin resistant, so I feel like I have an unusual form of PCOS -- or I don't really have the syndrome, but PCO. I didn't think that the simply calorie deficient was working either, but have found through watching my sodium, fat and upping my protein that I am getting results. I never made it to my max dose of Metformin and have been intermitting taking the lowest dose for the past week. So I really don't think it's influencing my weight loss.
  • fayelobeck89
    Options
    anlenz wrote: »
    For me, a low fat diet is what has been working over the last seven weeks. My RE has me on Metformin to see if that helps with the weight loss. I have PCO, but I am not insulin resistant, so I feel like I have an unusual form of PCOS -- or I don't really have the syndrome, but PCO. I didn't think that the simply calorie deficient was working either, but have found through watching my sodium, fat and upping my protein that I am getting results. I never made it to my max dose of Metformin and have been intermitting taking the lowest dose for the past week. So I really don't think it's influencing my weight loss.

I'm not insulin resistant, I asked my doctor and she told me that all my blood work is in the normal range so I have no ide what's going on with me. So far just being carful with what I eat is giving me results so I'm just trying to maintain that x
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    anlenz wrote: »

I'm not insulin resistant, I asked my doctor and she told me that all my blood work is in the normal range so I have no ide what's going on with me. So far just being carful with what I eat is giving me results so I'm just trying to maintain that x

My RE advises even if you are not at the point of being insulin resistant he states still should be on Metformin min of 2000mg per day. I don't know if I really notice a difference or not with taking it. At the moment having issues with my thyroid so hard to say.
  • fayelobeck89
    Options

My RE advises even if you are not at the point of being insulin resistant he states still should be on Metformin min of 2000mg per day. I don't know if I really notice a difference or not with taking it. At the moment having issues with my thyroid so hard to say. [/quote]

Isn't it funny how doctors opinions are different.
    My GP told me that metfformin very rarely gets prescribed these days and I just need to focus on my healthier lifestyle and 'keep on trying' lol x
  • bdawso88
    bdawso88 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm actually in the same boat. I was just recently diagnosed and am really struggling with knowing what/how to eat now. I don't know much about low glycemic diets. My doctor told me to eat more frequently but smaller amounts throughout the day, so that's what I'm currently trying. I just started taking Metformin on 12/6 so not really sure if that's going to help me with weight loss or not. Right now I'm just praying it gets me ovulating.
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    So for me i really noticed a difference in my weight loss when i was on my metformin and took it consistently. I was put on Metformin to help with conceiving, but the weight managment really seemed to help as well!. I'm on 1000 mg a day. I try to eat as "clean" and unprocessed as i can, avoiding simple carbs.