10 reasons 5Ks are Freakin Awesome!

Options
davemunger
davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
Fun article on Runner's World. I think the best part isn't so much the 10 reasons but the fact that this marathoner doesn't realize he's talking to a world-class 5Ker:

"You know a lot about this stuff! You run marathons, too?"

"Well, not really. Once. I race 5-Ks mostly."

Wah-wah.

Mr. Onplane is visibly less impressed. Fair enough. Anyone can run 3.1 miles. "I started out running 5-Ks, too," he says. "Keep at it, you'll get there."

Link to full article:

http://www.runnersworld.com/5k-training-plans/10-reasons-the-5k-is-freaking-awesome

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I just don't know how she could resist the urge to "educate" him.

This is the attitude that permeates the running community today. Shorter races are less difficult than longer ones and are only run by more inexperienced runner. Total bullsh1t.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I think it's because more people are getting into running via C25k, which is all about building up the distance you can run. So it sets up increasing your distance as the obvious next step.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    I think that is part of the reason. Another big part is the running stores with their "Distance Running Workshops" and Team in Training saying that the marathon is the ultimate sacrifice and the perfect vehicle for fund raising. No one in these organizations is saying "You just ran a 29 minute 5K. Let's build you mileage a bit and see if we can get you under 25." It's all about "Well let's get to a 10K", then HM, etc. It's a fundamental failing by those that are nurturing the runners that are new to the sport.
  • litsy3
    Options
    Also they don't mention that the reason you might want to be able to run 10k to train for 5k is so you can warm up before the race and then cool down afterwards.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    It's also that you can pretty much walk a 5K without taking a huge chunk out of your day. The longer distances you have to actually run a good chunk of it to finish before sundown. So when you go to a 5K race you have to weave your way through 5,000 walkers before you can even hit your pace. It kind of kills a little of the idea that it's a "serious race".
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Did any of you read some of the comments under the article? The ones I've read were mostly saying: I love to do 5km runs, 5km runs allow me to run but have family time.. Bla bla bla! Which proves the point that people don't get what racing a 5K is.

And I might get rocks thrown at me for saying that out loud (considering I did the couch-to-marathon thing)... But I also don't know why running stores, with their clinics, push people to sign up for a marathon... That just promote the idea of not being a real runner if you are not training for a marathon.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Short distance is definitely not my thing anymore but I am not a snob about it. I am slow as molasses but can run for hours so it suits me. Whatever your thing is keep at it. There's isn't a best distance in my opinion except whatever you get the most pleasure from. Predominately I hear all negative things about 26.2 actually lol. I rarely hear people say how much they enjoyed their marathon experience. Are they proud of themselves? Of course, who wouldn't be? You just ran 26.2 miles! No one is really ever like "I just had the best time" lol. Maybe it's just my impression. I think anyone that's in it to win it regardless of pace or distance should be commended for their efforts. Thankfully we all get to chose our races.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    Did any of you read some of the comments under the article? The ones I've read were mostly saying: I love to do 5km runs, 5km runs allow me to run but have family time.. Bla bla bla! Which proves the point that people don't get what racing a 5K is.

And I might get rocks thrown at me for saying that out loud (considering I did the couch-to-marathon thing)... But I also don't know why running stores, with their clinics, push people to sign up for a marathon... That just promote the idea of not being a real runner if you are not training for a marathon.

Blows kisses at Josée just in case anyone decides to throw rocks at her.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of this fella on the general fitness boards that said he didn't waste his time with 5Ks anymore simply because he could run further than that.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of this fella on the general fitness boards that said he didn't waste his time with 5Ks anymore simply because he could run further than that.

Yes, I remember him saying that just before the magazine that originally published this article came out. When I read it, that was my first thougt too. I wished I couldn't have linked it to him.

I thought it was a great article and have shared it a few times.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have a marathon in November and then my next race is a 5K that I have run for the past two new years day. To be honest, I am looking forward to the 5k as much as the marathon. There is a special level of pain that goes along with the 5k. It's kind of surreal.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I just don't know how she could resist the urge to "educate" him.

My thoughts exactly!
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    I rarely hear people say how much they enjoyed their marathon experience. Are they proud of themselves? Of course, who wouldn't be? You just ran 26.2 miles! No one is really ever like "I just had the best time" lol. Maybe it's just my impression.

I had been running for 5 years before I ran my first marathon and I've run 5 since then. I enjoyed the 2nd, 3rd and 4th because I was fit, prepared and ran within my limits. The first was hard and painful, but still enjoyable. The last was under tough conditions and it hurt real bad and I was glad it was over.

I can't think of a single 5K that I have ever finished and thought "That was fun!" lol. 5Ks hurt like a b1tch!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    I rarely hear people say how much they enjoyed their marathon experience. Are they proud of themselves? Of course, who wouldn't be? You just ran 26.2 miles! No one is really ever like "I just had the best time" lol. Maybe it's just my impression.

I had been running for 5 years before I ran my first marathon and I've run 5 since then. I enjoyed the 2nd, 3rd and 4th because I was fit, prepared and ran within my limits. The first was hard and painful, but still enjoyable. The last was under tough conditions and it hurt real bad and I was glad it was over.

I can't think of a single 5K that I have ever finished and thought "That was fun!" lol. 5Ks hurt like a b1tch!

Maybe it's the shorter suffering time that has people tricked haha.
  • litsy3
    Options
    I've done two marathons and really enjoyed both and will do another one this spring. But after the second one I decided to drop back and actually train for a 5k rather than just whining about how I'm no good at them. Surprisingly enough it turns out if you do specific training for the distance you get better at it. But I definitely hated every second of the actual race!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Seems like a lot of "more serious" runners do 5ks for fun and marathons to race. Lately I've been doing the opposite, and love it. There's definitely a sense of accomplishment to finishing a marathon but there's nothing better than going absolutely all-out for 3.1 miles!
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Seems like a lot of "more serious" runners do 5ks for fun and marathons to race. Lately I've been doing the opposite, and love it. There's definitely a sense of accomplishment to finishing a marathon but there's nothing better than going absolutely all-out for 3.1 miles!

I agree...I have bq'ing on the brain, but I look forward to getting it done, so I can focus on shorter, more intense racing.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your goal--for some of you, the goal is racing-beating others, beating your PR, getting on the podium. For some of us, it is to run while having fun, not getting injured, having a lifelong exercise we can enjoy, to burn lots of calories so we can eat!

Some people prefer the longer distances, some people the shorter.

5K's are HARD--running all out for 3.1 miles! Some people like this, some people prefer longer slower paces.

I don't think having different goals makes any of us less or more of a runner. It does make us more or less of a competitive runner.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options

I believe the running shoe stores encourage as many people to run marathons in order to sell shoes. More marathon runners = more miles on their shoes = more frequent shoe replacement.