df1982
df1982 Posts: 147 Member
How is it going this week?

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    oooh fancy new Group Title!

It's going good for me --- just in "prep mode" now since I don't start 'til the 28th.

Thinking of trying some of the batch cooking ideas:
    http://blog.stuffimakemyhusband.com/p/whole30-oamc-freezer-menu.html
    http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/
  • girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Things are going well! I have felt pretty good so far, and on day 5 I think that's good. Days 2&3 were hardest, and I feel hopeful (but reserved) about the next 25 days. I knwo days 10-11 are usually hard for people.
  • df1982
    Options
    @girlcalledryan: The first 5 days are SO freaking hard, for me at least. You should be very proud for getting through them. Good for you!

@kirkor: You are smart to do so much prep. It really does make all the difference. I'm trying to cook more in batches this time. My goal is to make enough for a meal, a lunch and a portion to freeze for later. Do you have a slow cooker? I find it is SO useful for this style of cooking, and a real time saver.

Also, I love the Clothes Make the Girl recipes! I think I've made most things in her cookbook once. Let me know how you like that other blog.
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Day 10 here. I really felt like I wanted chocolate last night and today. But not long lingering cravings - they passed pretty quickly. The problem is I'm still so tired at night. I actually had coffee this afternoon to try and be more awake this evening. (I used to use this time to answer work e-mails, and I'm falling behind!) It's only day 10, though, so hopefully that will get better with time.

@Kikor - I did a little batch cooking last weekend, but didn't get as far as I would have liked. I did make five mason jar salads for my work lunches; you guys know about those?

@DF - I bought the ingredients for Clothes Make the Girl Chocolate Chile, and am planning to make it in the slow cooker - have you done that?

@Ryan - I did know know days 10 and 11 are hard; that explains the chocolate craving. I still need to read the book. :embarassed:
  • Triplestep
    Options
    Oh my gosh - I am on day 12! Not day 10 - that's how tired I am. I lost two days. :smile:
  • girlcalledryan
    Options
    I am on day 7! Week one is wrapping up nicely. And now we have coconut aminos, almond flour, coconut and almon milk, as well as homemade ghee, mayo & veggie dip. I think I got alot accomplished.

@df1982, I need to start making more food. last night I made a delish beef tip & mushrrom gravy recipe and I could have eated it for days. I used a regular onion, and ghee.

http://www.preppypaleo.com/2012/11/paleo-steak-tips-in-mushroom-gravy.html

I am having alot of trouble not snacking. I work in the medical field and I have a long commute so breakfast is at 6:45am, lunch is at 12:30, and dinenr sometimes is as late as 7:30 and I just can't make it between meals. I get really close, like I need to eat at 11:15 and 5:00. I feel like if I need to eat, I should, but there is so much anti-snacking on the forums.
  • Triplestep
    Options
    @ryan: I can't make it in between meals with the mental clarity I need to do my job, so I eat nuts. I have a container that holds two ounces (which is probably more than a "closed handful" - what the program recommends per day) and if I need to, I eat half between breakfast and lunch, and half when I'm driving home from work (so before dinner.) I know you're not supposed to snack, but if I'm going to stay on this program, I can't feel hungry and scattered halfway between meals every day.

I will tell you that the amount I need to snack has reduced quite a bit since I started doing this, and I don't force myself to eat the nuts if I'm not hungry. But if I need them, they are there.

I also wait a bit before eating or snacking because I find that my first signs of hunger often go away now. I listen to the second or third nudge I get from my belly/brain.
  • Triplestep
    Options
    By the way, if any of you are looking for good ways to store your coconut milk after you open the can, Target his mini-milk bottles in the dollar section; they are packaged two for three dollars, and look kind of like this, but with screw-on tops:

http://st.houzz.com/simgs/42b1194f00fdd3f4_4-4774/traditional-food-containers-and-storage.jpg
  • girlcalledryan
    Options
    @triplestep, those bottles are awesome! I have been looking for a way to store regualr milk so my 5 yo can do breakfast by himself.

My snacking amount has reduced, and it's usually raw nutsand dried fruit or baby carrots. I know I'm getting too much dried fruit, and I'm trying to taper down.

I am on day 8 now, and yesterday I wanted to give up while trying to figure out where on earth to go out after work with my friends. And then I realised there is an outback near work. And they have a GF menu. And I checked the forums and other people sya they are an easy place to go out. SO that's where we will go. We are going out because it's my last day at this job. I start a new job on Monday.

Because I had that stressful moment (hour or so) of dispair and thoughts of quitting, I downloaded the book. To help reinforce the whys.
  • df1982
    Options
    @triplestep - I was actually thinking of making Chocolate Chilli this weekend! It's really good and super filling!

Good for you for getting through some of the hardest days. I have been feeling really tired this time around as well. If I need to snack, I do it. I also can't afford to melt down at work as my body adjusts. I think that as long as the snacks are healthy and balanced (not just fruit), it is totally fine, and can be reduced with time.

@girlcalledryan - Good for you for sticking with it. Eating out is definitely hard, but I feel like it is something I need to learn to do if I want to keep this up (the alternative is staying in for the whole 30 days, and beyond!). I'm still not very good at it. The last time I attempted it, I ended up having to start over ha ha!

Also, reading the book definitely helps with motivation...I may want to get back to it. I'm finding this time around very, very difficult. I feel like I want to quit and I'm not even really sure why. I'm going through an extremely stressful time at work, so perhaps that is it.

Great job everyone!
  • df1982
    Options
    How's everyone doing this weekend?

I feel like I am finally back on track after I accidentally ate that soy. I'm still a little low energy (work stress!), but I am going to attempt a workout today. I did tons of Whole30 cooking yesterday, which was motivating.

Hope that everyone has a great day,

Elma
  • girlcalledryan
    Options
    I ate out yesterday (outback) and today (local Mexican) and did my best to avoid. And I think, for me, that'll be good enough. If I do my due diligence to eat compliant, then I'm on plan as far as I am concerned. Check the menu. Ask the right questions. Make the right request. And if it looks right, its good.

I do feel tired and angry today. I don't know if its that I didn't sleep well, or maybe its delayed adjustments.

I was hoping to run today, but the day had other plans.
  • Triplestep
    Options
    Day 16 for me, and I'm doing pretty well. I'm getting ready to go out and get some new pans since the ones I have are pretty beaten up. I didn't care much before now, but I'm cooking so much, it's starting to get on my nerves.

The book arrived yesterday! Getting ready to dive into that, too. I tried to read before bed last night, but of course, I fell asleep. :(

@girlcalledryan: I tend to agree with you; If you're doing this to for the "change your relationship with food" benefits, then due diligence is probably more important than wondering if the restaurant has cooked something in vegetable oil. That said, I do find that some of the more obvious eliminations do stave off the cravings. (like not eating sugar or sweeteners. I don't feel like I'm looking for sugary snacks all the time.)

By the way, if you get those Target milk bottles, be aware that they dribble. Your son will be able to handle them, but he'll leave little milk rings on the table, no fault of his own. So they might not be the best "self-sufficiency" teaching tool.

@df: Glad you're feeling back on track. What did you make during your cooking marathon? I'm getting ready to make some of the things I made last week a second time to see if I can improve on them, and/or reduce the time it takes to make them. Once I master them, I'll move on.

And I made that chocolate chili. I'm not sure what everyone is raving about over on the whole30 board. Yes, it's good, but w/out beans, it should have way more other "stuff" in it. Otherwise, I'm inclined to put it on rice! It's got the consistency of Sloppy Joes. I'm going to try to "fix" mine with veggies and sweet potatoes.

Hope you're both enjoying your weekends!
  • girlcalledryan
    Options
    @triplestep I am hoping to find some food sensitivities, but, I decided before I started that I would not kill myself avoiding soy the rest of my life.

This week is wrapping up nicely, I made a great salad for lunch with my "ranch" dressing, and I made Italian sausage soup for dinner. Both turned out great.
    I also tried kombucha today. I think it will def be my treat through this. 1/2 a can a day
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    And I made that chocolate chili. I'm not sure what everyone is raving about over on the whole30 board.

lol that's funny :)

I haven't made that chili yet (although I plan to next week) but I think a of lot of W30 people go into "rave mode" about a lot of things that it's not necessary for.
  • Triplestep
    Options
    And I made that chocolate chili. I'm not sure what everyone is raving about over on the whole30 board.

lol that's funny :)

I haven't made that chili yet (although I plan to next week) but I think a of lot of W30 people go into "rave mode" about a lot of things that it's not necessary for.

Tonight I mixed mine with some stewed veggies that I had already made and it was MUCH better. Next time I'm going to add them right to the crock pot.

@girlcalledryan - what is in your "ranch" dressing?
  • girlcalledryan
    Options
    My ranch is mayo, a tbsp or so of spinach and herb dip mix (garlic, spinach and herbs), some onion powder, salt, and almond milk to taste. I mix everything but the almond milk in the blender when I make the mayo, and then add almond milk to the mason jar and shake.

There is a fresh new thread for this week. See you all there