18 weeks and up 22 lbs.

Options
Yep. Just like the subject line says...I'm only 18 weeks along and up 22 pounds. I have to get it off my chest. I have been slacking really bad, and although I haven't been a total pig, I also haven't made the best choices, logged anything, or exercised as much as I should. I don't know if it's even possible, but I'd really like to slow my weight gain down. I really have to start holding myself accountable, and moving my *kitten* more. I know I can't be the only one struggling...

I want to come up with a reasonable goal from here on out, but I'm not sure what that is. I guess I don't have a specific weight gain goal, since I don't really know what is safe...so maybe my goal will be just to log consistently and exercise 3-5 times/week. That's all I can really do, right? Pregnancy is supposed to be a beautiful thing, and although I feel like its a time I shouldn't have to stress about calorie counting, its still less stressful than gaining too much weight and having complications such as preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, etc.

Replies

• meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I totally get where you're coming from, but just want to point out that gaining over the "recommended amount" doesn't necessarily mean you'll have health complications. Pre-eclampsia (and GD, too) has more to do with nutrition than weight gain. I'd focus more on making sure you're getting lots of protein (aim for at least 80g), filling up on veggies/fruit, and drinking lots of water (as close to a gallon as you can) while avoiding sugar/refined carbs as much as you can.
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    So true! Its hard to stay positive when you feel like a failure, though!

I had borderline GD with my daughter...but issues didn't arise until 36 weeks, thank goodness. I guess its just a hard pill to swallow, since my original weight gain goal was 25 pounds for the entire pregnancy, being that I started out slightly overweight. You're so right, though. I need to just make good choices, drink plenty of water and stay active. With a 50 pound gain with my first, I was still healthy enough to have an amazing labor and delivery experience...well...as amazing as something that painful can be. Just hard. Clearly I have some disordered eating...but I already knew that. Either being a total big, or feeling like I'm completely limited and run by the numbers. Ugh.
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I gained 45lbs with my first and had lots of complications during the pregnancy...swelling, carpal tunnel, etc. At 41 weeks I had high blood pressure and had to be induced, though the labor itself went fine. I swore up and down that the next pregnancy, I'd do so much better. I got in really good shape, exercised throughout the 2nd pregnancy, ate fairly well (though every holiday happened during the pregnancy, so I had some indulgences). I had NO swelling and still gained 45lbs!!! I was so obsessed with my weight and so unhappy with myself, although I was way healthier and stronger than the first pregnancy.

I got in even better shape after that pregnancy and was convinced that my next pregnancy would be a minimal gain. Yep, nope! LOL I've actually gained even more this time...I'm up 48lbs at 38 weeks, but again, I'm healthy and I eat really healthy (except for a few binges I went through here and there). I've given up on the expectations of what my pregnancies should look like and trying to compare myself to other people b/c it was just making me miserable. You are NOT a failure! I hate the "guidelines" b/c they make anyone who goes over them feel that way! I hope you can find a good balance.

Things that have helped me with the "needing to stuff myself" feelings are making huge cucumber salads every day. I do cucumber, an avocado, tomatoes, onions, cheese, balsamic vinegar and olive oil. (And fresh basil if I have some!) Oh, and raw minced garlic (Which is great for you!). Fills me right up and is delicious! For mindless eating while reading or watching tv, I munch on grapes and cheese. Or plain yogurt with a drizzle of honey if I need something sweet after dinner. :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I would definitely work on logging consistently. Even if you're going over, make sure you log it. This way you can look back on it and see if there's patterns or certain areas your can work on.

And I agree, make sure you get plenty of protein!
  • elbeerock
    elbeerock Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you missus. :(

I lost 30 pounds earlier this year and was fit as a fiddle until the day I found out I was pregnant...The second I found out, I threw my smokes (and my heavy smoking habit) out the window.

It was HARD. Everyone I know gives me the pats on the head for "doing right by my baby", but I secretly felt horrible at the same time because I knew that my crappy eating and suddenly totally sedentary lifestyle was probably pretty terrible for the little one.

Anyway, I think I finally got out of the worst of the fog a few weeks ago, so I'm trying really hard to make peace with the fact that my 20-25 pound (depends on the day, I retain a LOT of water) weight gain will just have to come off later. From here on out, it's trying to handle each day as it comes, and make whatever I gain as healthy as possible.
  • xelor23
    xelor23 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This calculator was right on where what my Dr. recommended and it gives me cues on where I should be when.

http://www.calculator.net/pregnancy-weight-gain-calculator.html

Hope it helps!
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I've been eating far too much and not exercising :( my daughter is yelling MOOO at me as I'm typing this lol. I suggest logging honestly & consistently, try walking a few days a week, Then work from there.
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I gained 70 !!! lbs with my first, so I can relate to you. This time around I am 17 weeks and have gained 6 pounds. It's still on the high end for what I should gain at this point though. What I've been doing is FORCING myself to exercise. Also, when I want to binge on some bad food I just try to remember how I felt when I had gained 70 pounds, and that usually deters me. I wasn't in good shape last pregnancy and I had a harder labor, and then I think my weight really played a role postpartum depression. so I am trying to keep that in mind that I want to try to avoid pp if I can to enjoy my time with baby.
  • JDearman143
    JDearman143 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I can totally relate!! My first pregnancy I got up to 240lbs!! Granted, I started at 190 so it was only a 50lb gain, but still, I'm scared to do it again (but with a possible HIGHER gain than last with the way I'm eaiting)! I just found out I was pregnant last Wednesday and since then I haven't made it to the gym once and I hadn't cared at all about what I put into my mouth (and how much of it!) and already my clothes don't fit, I'm uncomfortable, feel fat and sadly, I'm only 8 weeks! I can't imagine what the next 7 months have in store for me.. =(

But, today I've decided I'm not going to go through my whole pregnancy like this.. I got down to 133lbs in June of this year, 3lbs shy of my goal.. Felt fit, happy and better than ever! I started slacking again the last 2 months and gained 10 of those pounds back and then when I finally said ENOUGH IS ENOUGH and started getting back at it, I found out I was preggers and it's like the old fat kid I used to be dug herself back into my brain again! But, I packed my gym clothes to work with me today only brought healthy snacks (and only the RIGHT amount of them) and it's time to be a healthy, fit prego! =)

Here's to hoping I can keep this motivation long enough to make it a habit!
  • Fit4Yah
    Fit4Yah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Definitely can relate! I'm 28 weeks and up 17 lbs. I started over weight tho so my weight gain is very frustrating. I am exercising 3-5 times a week and I feel really good physically but mentally it gets to me when I weigh myself!! I had a goal in mind and I've gained more that what I hoped to already and I still have 12 weeks to go. :( I know I definitely need to cut down on carbs and up my protein though!

My first pregnancy I gained 70 pounds. My second I gained 25 lbs, third 17 lbs, fourth 12 lbs, and 5th 30 lbs. I lost all the weight from each pregnancy EXCEPT my first pregnancy I still carry 50 lbs of that :/
  • getfitgal123
    getfitgal123 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Please don't beat yourself up too much. I have been exercising regularly, logging all my food and eating between 1600-1800 calories (total) and I have still put on more than I hoped. (About 25 lbs at 24 weeks.)

There was one point in the FIRST TRI where I put on 9 pounds in 5 weeks and I remember being pretty upset. But since then it has leveled out to about 1 lb per week and I am trying to stick to that for the remainder of the pregnancy, which would put me around 35-40 lb gain. (I tend to deliver early.)

I agree w/ others that you should focus on logging and exercise. Also it helped me to find healthier food swaps that still satisfied my cravings. For example, I crave pizza a lot so I started making my own with a lower carb flatbread + lowfat mozz and plenty of veggies.

Good luck!