Vegas Rock 'n' Roll Marathon

Options
GillianMcK
GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
Anyone from on here doing this in November or done it before??
Group of us travelling from the UK, 2 of the (not normal) boys are doing Worlds Toughest Mudder Saturday-Sunday and I've entered the half marathon on the Sunday afternoon (chickened out of the full marathon as the time limit was too close to my time)!

Any tips/advice, and where do we go for food after and then on the Monday before we head out (their going to NY, I'm heading home)??

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine did it a couple years ago when hundreds of people got sick from contaminated water that they served.

Have you already paid for your registration and air fare?

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/las-vegas-marathon/las-vegas-marathon-runners-say-they-were-sickened

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/dec/08/marathon/
  • GillianMcK
    Options
    Yeah, already paid up!!!

I'll buy bottled water from the shops and carry it (although I really dislike carrying things when I'm running!)!!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    It's not just the water. RnR manages to mismanage just about every aspect of a race except for the profitability part. Oh wait, that's not part of the race.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Just be careful and try not to make any hard, nonrefundable travel commitments. They are known for canceling their events without a lot of notice if they don't clear enough in profit. Sure, they refund your entry, but you're SOL with any arrangements you've made.
  • GillianMcK
    Options
    Just be careful and try not to make any hard, nonrefundable travel commitments. They are known for canceling their events without a lot of notice if they don't clear enough in profit. Sure, they refund your entry, but you're SOL with any arrangements you've made.
    Thanks, we're out for Worlds Toughest Mudder with the boys, just decided that I would do that as well since we would be out there, I would be disappointed if they cancelled it, but not really out of any money (sure I can find a running store somewhere in Vegas that I could spend the refund on, if it came to that)!!
    Got a lovely villa booked with it's own swimming pool, if we have to spend the day by the pool instead of getting ready to run in the evening, I'm sure I could almost cope with that!!

This could possibly explain why the Edinburgh one was cancelled though (I hadn't entered that one though)!!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    With 40,000+ entrants I don't think you need to worry about the race being cancelled; I would be willing to bet this is most profitable race in RnR's stable. Carson's concern about water is dead on, they use water from the fire hydrants/hoses for water AND to mix gatorade. The bigger problem I am worried about is adjusting my body to running at night.
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I did the marathon last year. I thought overall it was a well put on race and i would do it again.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    My first and only experience with RnR was the one in Raleigh. It was an awful course, very few aid stations, the start had to be delayed because of traffic and routing problems with getting to the start line, it was a mess. I was NOT impressed.