Get the ball rolling: hockey calories

Options
So.... the group exists, perhaps it's time to put something in it.

Not to cast aspersions on the MFP exercise calorie counts, but... the ones for hockey make me a little grumpy. A) I think the ones they have assume skaters, not goalies and b) I think they assume continuous play (which, of course, doesn't actually happen).

Any thoughts?

Replies

• Glovesave3373
    Glovesave3373 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree the calories are probably counted for a skater more so than a goalie, however when you playing hockey it is actually an anaerobic exercise and not aerobic/cardio due to the nature of the sport... quick short bursts and not a long constant cardio workout.
    As a goalie we can do at least 100 Squats in a game.... and the way I judge it is how intense a game I'm in. A few weeks ago I faced 60 shots and I counted every last minute, however monday night only 22, but I was in position nearly the whole time... and the majority of the time in a squat and hold so I counted the majority of the minutes.

My advise is to be honest to yourself when you are playing... if you didn't work hard and just stood on the ice for 30 min and was actively engaged 15 min.. than just put 15 min of hockey but if those 15 min were intense... put 20.

Remember even when at rest you are buring calories just think about how much you sweat when your not in the play.....

Best of Luck
  • Glovesave3373
    Glovesave3373 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I wore my HRM the last two games... 1 was intense and the other about average.... I burned way more even on the average game than the MFP site suggests.... probably because we are never sitting the whole game we are constantly buring calories and then bamm... major burn... but rest for a goalie is still standing and not sitting like a player.
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that's really good data to have! I am still a poor enough skater that I feel it just standing there and balancing on my skates for 45 minutes.

I'll be very curious to see if I can notice a difference with 17 less pounds (I haven't played since I started this... stupid wrist.)
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    i'm going to try wearing my HRM next time I play and will report back but I am currently on IR
  • Cflyum
    Cflyum Posts: 5
    Options
    I am a skater. I tried to wear my hrm at our last practice/ scrimmage but the sensor popped off. I would love to hear everyone else's results.
  • bosuhart
    Options
    Hi All - I play 40 minutes on and off every two minutes - intense - no standing around with 20 minutes drills. Conservatlively I put 30 minutes into the system and it came up with 255 caloris burned - that just seems really low for such an intensive workout.
  • stljam
    Options
    So. I'll try to update this more over the next few weeks but I played twice over the weekend. Yes I am a goalie. I also am pretty to new to ice hockey and the position even given my age. As a result, I am not likely very efficient in my movements which may make me work harder and burn more calories compared to someone who has played a long time, actually been coached, etc.

Friday was against former jr players, former college players and an older former nhl pro's son. because of numbers it was 4 on 4 for just over an hour. I burned 931 calories according to my FT7 in about 67 minutes.

Sunday was against mostly low intermediate/advanced beginnner adults, not 4 on 4 but regular ice hockey. I burned 922 caloreies in about 68 minutes.

Next up is wednesday for an hour and a half outside against intermediate to advanced beginner adults. It should be interesting to see how the longer and outdoor factors impact calories.
  • stljam
    Options
    I was sick and missed the wednesday skate. Last nigt in my league game, HRM said 1,121 (note this is not net calories as it includes BMR calories as well). I'll update this post later tonight with HR ranges and fat burn vs cardio though all but 10 minutes or less of the time was in cardio mode according to the watch.
  • Macbobbins
    Macbobbins Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree with this. I couldn't find 'hockey - goalie' in the exercise categories. After training for 2 hours on a Wednesday night, I can really feel the work on my legs and my core - but I'm not sure how to list it because it's not as cardiovascular as being out field. I'm a field hockey goalie in the UK by the way, not an ice-hockey goalie :-)
  • stljam
    Options
    Dang. I wore the HRM tonight but forgot to turn it on when i took the ice. Easily would have been 1,200 or more tonight as I faced 40 some odd shots in our game. Fun getting outshot again by 50% or so and still winning, lol.

Unfortunately, I got run again, making 4 times in the last week that I have had a direct head collision with players. Luckily only minor issues with the two in the first game last monday and again some issues with the one in this game. Hopefully tomorrow will be as good as last tuesday was.

I play wednesday night and plan to wear it then for an hour and a half outdoors. Thursday night i'll grab it and add the hrm ranges from all the skates.
  • stljam
    Options
    I agree with this. I couldn't find 'hockey - goalie' in the exercise categories. After training for 2 hours on a Wednesday night, I can really feel the work on my legs and my core - but I'm not sure how to list it because it's not as cardiovascular as being out field. I'm a field hockey goalie in the UK by the way, not an ice-hockey goalie :-)

Got to love female hockey goalies. My wife has talked about trying it out but so far has stuck to Center and D.

I met this wonderful goalie at a charity event. She was beautiful, super nice and definitely had some skill.

HOS-31-085-manon-rheaume.jpg Look at those guns, lol.

Wish she wouldn't have done this shoot though...
    Corbis-PN016326.jpg?size=67&uid=bed8d034-8882-4fe9-813a-6c27ddd6aad2

Good luck in your fitness and in backstopping your team. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

ETA - That's Manon Rheaume for those that don't know. She played for the Tampa Bay Lighting vs my hometown St. Louis Blues in an exhibition game and played in their minor league system for a while.
  • stljam
    Options
    Ok here goes.

Today was a slower paced skate for 92 minutes with net calories burned of 1,005. This is low because i did not adjust my weight for all my gear but hopefully that accounts for some standing around.

average heart rate 134
    Max heart rate 180
    20 minutes of fat burn
    72 minutes of cardio

Compare that to two league games ago
    82 minutes for 1,010 cals (again not weight adjusted for gear weight)
    average heart rate 142
    Max heart rate 168
    4.5 minutes fat burn
    77.5 minutes of cardio

I should note that I have had a sinus infection since before christmas and that the first stats are from an outdoor skate where it was much colder.
  • Macbobbins
    Macbobbins Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Got to love female hockey goalies. My wife has talked about trying it out but so far has stuck to Center and D.

Haha, yeah, we're a rare breed! Tell your wife that she'll love it and feel bad *kitten* wearing all of the kit!

And thanks for the good luck - it always helps.
  • stljam
    Options
    Last night league game. We got dominated in the first two periods and then controlled the third and OT. 85 minutes 1,101 calories. 4-3 OT win with our GTG happening with 2.5 seconds left.
  • atwphoto
    Options
    I just joined myfitnesspal and am on week 3. glad there's some fellow hockey players out there. I play defense, center and occasionally goalie. Have played for 12 years. 33 yr old female, bad *kitten* here. stay strong people, lets get skinny
  • machinistgoalie
    Options
    Going zombie on this thread and kickin' it back to life, if anything to say "hey". Goalies: FTW!