Breastfeeding and strength training/weight loss?

Options
jennk5309
jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
I'm due in a few weeks and plan on breastfeeding for about 2 years. I lost weight breastfeeding my first daughter quite easily, and was below my pre pregnancy weight without trying within 6 months. With my second daughter, I didn't lose anything for several years, but I was in a bad situation at home and stressed. It took a divorce and lots of work to lose the weight!

This time, I'm ten years older (39), but am hoping that having a good home life and less stress plus good exercise habits will help me to lose the weight (I'm headed for a 60 pound gain, just like with my first two- my body must like that number in pregnancy).

When I lost weight before getting pregnant this time, I was the cardio queen and hardly ever did strength training. I've noticed though that people who lift just look better overall when losing weight. I was thinking that since I will be burning lots of calories breastfeeding, that I'll do less cardio and much more strength training. I have a book called "You Are Your Own Gym" and was planning on following his program at home. I do have lots of equipment though, between my hubby and I- weights, bands, balls, videos, etc.

Any advice?

Replies

• Hipp706
    Hipp706 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    No advice, but I'm hoping someone does ????
  • ksnel3
    ksnel3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am in your previous situation right now, "bad situation at home and stressed," currently going through a divorce. I really think stress is a lot of my problem.. I am 6 months postpartum and I am below pre pregnancy weight, but still overweight. I used to be a cardio queen (okay.. I still do a lot of cardio..), but strength training really is amazing. I know this is a slightly older post, but hopefully this will still help! Lindsey Brin actually has a postpartum bootcamp DVD that I use and like a lot. It has modifiers including a girl to watch incase you just had a baby. It's only 20 minutes, which is amazing because I don't have a lot of time with 3 little ones running around! I honestly jumped straight into things like 30 Day Shred and other strength training, but just recently started her bootcamp. I think it's amazing because it is made for postpartum so really helps all of the trouble areas. After I finish her 12 week program, then I am going to go back to more intense workouts.