Getting ready for breaking the habit.

Options
Hey everybody, my name is Alex and I'm also a food addict... I've been reading a lot about it and I definitely got to the conclusion I can't eat sugars, wheat or flour ever again. I'm really scared about what's about to come. I'm setting a date, it might be this friday or next monday. But I'll stop eating those things forever... I don't how I will explain this to my friends when I go out with them, I don't know how to explain it to my family. Not to many people understand. I also don't know what will I do when I travel since I love trying new foods when traveling. I've tried to focus on the good things I'll get, like my life together, I'll be healthy, and more stuff. But I'm really scared... Specially since we never stop being addicts, we just "get control"... Any good advice?... I really appreciate it. Thaks.

Replies

• jltheis7
    jltheis7 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I was just as scared, nervous, unsure, you name it, when I gave up white flour, potatoes, switched to whole grains (and very little of those), and virtually all added sugars. But after the first three weeks, the cravings were gone. I also found that the books and research articles I was reading were right, relapsing made the cravings and detox soooo much worse. But I loved how well I felt when I made those changes. So, I guess in sharing my experience I'm hoping you will feel encouraged to start and just figure out the challenges as they appear. You can do this!
  • Valerieleclerc2014
    Options
    was it difficult to get on track and keep it going?
  • Samantha030809
    Options
    I started following the Food Addicts Anonymous food plan about a month ago. It wasn't difficult for me to get on track and keep it going; in fact, I've had a few off-plan treats since and have been able to continue to eat with the plan. I know that it doesn't work for everybody (having off-plan treats, yet staying on track), but I've been able to do it. I was at a point where I realized that this is my only choice, besides staying unhealthy, continuing to binge, continuing to be fat, and continuing to be miserable. I don't necessarily plan to stick with the program 100% forever, but only expect to go off-plan on special occasions, and even then, keep off-plan foods to a minimum. For example, birthday dinner out, as close to plan as possible, with an off-plan dessert. I never want to go back.
  • Sumner100Christ_follower
    Options
    I am ashamed to admit this, but I have heard the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. I am overweight. I am a binge-eater, and I need help to quit binge eating forever. The day before I began my fitness pal I consumed approximately 8,830 calories in one day, and it wasn't even a special occasion. I calculated it. Though, I am sure there were many days in which I consumed more than this. In fact, I don't know if that day would even make my top 100 binge-eating days, but I never calculated how many calories I consumed those other days. One day I ate two medium full-size delivery pizzas loaded with toppings. Another day, my mother gave me a huge extremely sweet, rich, and chocolatey ice cream cake for my birthday, and I ate the entire cake within two days except for two small slices. In December, I went to the movie theater, and just while watching one film I consumed 3 jumbo popcorn containers with extra butter by myself. I think I could talk about my binge-eating failures for hours. However, when I am not binge-eating I eat mostly low-calorie healthy food. When I am not binge-eating I am a strong proponent for saving the environment and eating healthy, and when I am binge eating I feel like a hypocrite. Though, I love good tasting food so much that I feel like I could eat it forever. I really appreciate food that makes my taste senses explode with joy. I also binge-eat during almost all celebrations or when I am depressed. Additionally, when I am not binge-eating I think very few people eat healthier than me. I have been doing okay recently, but I do not know when I will not be able to resist the urge to binge eat again. To complicate things I am a Christian, and in Christianity over eating is considered the sin of gluttony. I am trying to get in shape because 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 ESV reads: "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body." Thus, I really want to get in as good of shape as possible spiritually and physically.