Maca

Options
Has anyone had any experience with Maca? Read that it's supposed to help with PCOS symptoms... :smile:

Replies

• toadoftoadhall
    toadoftoadhall Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I took Maca (in my morning smoothie) for a couple of months and it (a) gave me lots of energy and (b) cleared up my skin. However, my cycle is usually around 34 days, and I ended up with two 50 day ones, and after two months I became so sensitive to it that if I put it in a smoothie and took one sip I would immediately vomit. I was only having 1 tsp a day of the powder.
    I stopped taking it (obviously!) which was a shame, as I suspect that my monthly cycle would have re-regulated and I did feel so much better on it. Perhaps I should have taken a break from it or only taken it at certain times (I have seen commentary on the internet suggesting that some weeks of your menstrual cycle you should not take it, but have not been able to find any further information)?
    I am going to try and reintroduce it.
    I would be interested to hear about other people's experiences.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-555-maca.aspx?activeingredientid=555&activeingredientname=maca

I don't know if I would even try it. It is found to act like estrogen and if you are like me and most with PCOS we have to much estrogen and adding more is not going to be helpful
  • toadoftoadhall
    toadoftoadhall Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi Truddy6647,
    I should have mentioned in my post that I have low estrogen and high androgens (although all within "normal" ranges). I do not have enough information to advise anyone to take or not to maca, so would suggest everyone does their own research. Maca does not contain any hormones, yet appears to nourish the endocrine system. It is supposed to be an adaptogen so should help to normalise hormone levels. If it doesn't make you puke! (Also worth mentioning that I never ever get sick normally).
    I guess always best to take medical advice.
    Pip