Week 2 Informational and Goal-setting: Interval Exercise

Welcome to week 2!

This week we will explore the impact of exercise on weight loss. We will continue the goal started in week 1, and you will continue implementing the changes in week 1 while also adding in components of exercise to your routine. Some of you have already been exercising. This informational for week 2 will help you with tips on exercising to get the most benefit out of your workouts and lifestyle.

Interval exercise with short bursts of high energy followed by a short interval of low energy exercise increases metabolism and burns more fat. In studies, people who exercised for a period of time at the same pace burned fewer calories than those who exercised for the same amount of time, but performed intervals of high energy (increasing the heart rate) coupled with low energy intervals. One does not need a gym to exercise either. Some of my best workouts have been using my own body weight and doing intervals of 15 burpies (high energy), 10 push-ups (low energy), 30 crunches (low energy), etc, and continuing this for ½ hour to 45 minutes.

Ideas on how to incorporate this into your routine:
Consider the rule of threes: high energy 1 minute, low energy 2 minutes.
Walk as fast as you can for 1 minute, and then walk slowly for the next two minutes catching your breath. Continue this routine for a ½ hour.
Walk up and down the stairs at work on your lunch break and then run up and down them as fast as you can. Repeating this for as long as you can.

Final words....

Do it with a pal! Exercise with a buddy! It is more fun and makes you more accountable!

My Fitness Pal will let you know what is the recommended amount of time to exercise. You can follow those recommendations according to your age, weight, and modify based on your condition.

As a reminder, it is not enough to perform exercise alone to lose weight. It must be coupled with caloric restriction.

Your goal for week 2 - Try to incorporate some kind of interval training into your routine this week. Post what you did and what your thoughts were on the workout!

Best of luck to you! You are off to a great start!

Elizabeth

Replies

• My goal this week is to continue with strength training 3x per week, and incorporting more interval exercise when I do cardio.
  • I currently do circuit training 2 days a week but will attempt fast/slow walking on in-between days.
  • My goal will be to incorporate intervals into my walking and swimming.
  • My goal this week is to try to get a little interval training into my dog walk, she is high strung so running is her favorite thing to do. Unfortunately for me and her, I do not run. The hardest part for me in this exercise task is finding the time and energy to do it. Between work and school and just general daily tasks, I am too tired to exercise most of the time.
  • Medhnurse
    Medhnurse Posts: 3 Member
    My goal this week is to do my stair stepper 3-4 days this week. I usually only do 10 minutes, but I will try to up it to 15 minutes.
  • My goal this week will be to continue with the refined sugar restriction and add the addition of interval training. I have done interval training in the past with running/walking but found this to be very hard on my hip joints. I will give the fast walk/slow walk version a try. Good luck with your goals this week everyone!! :-D
  • This week I will incorporate interval training while walking
  • My Goal is to excercise harder, to really push myself.
  • I am going to work on exercising daily rather than only 2-3x per week.
  • started weight strength training 2x every week 9 machines 15 reps with 3 circits will continue to do 10,000 steps a day 2,500 in "fast feet" 3 miles on my eliptical 3 days a week.
  • Great goals!
    Thank you for sharing!
    I love the idea of fast feet and of incorporating walking the dog into interval exercise, as well as accommodating each of your own personal needs into your workouts!
    Elizabeth
  • kittytiger442
    kittytiger442 Posts: 8 Member
    My goal was to do the interval program on my elliptical.