Weightlifting while pregnant?

Options
Anyone going to the gym while pregnant? What modifications have you done?

Replies

• bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I workout at home. I'm still lifting-just not as heavy. I was doing SLs 5x5 prior to finding out I was pregnant and had gotten to a point where every lift was very challenging. I loved it and didn't want to give it up.

My Dr told me that I can continue to lift, just no more pushing the strength gains and to work in the 10-12 rep range. I've deloaded my weights significantly, but am still performing the same lifts-DL, squat, OHP, bench, and row. If you use too much weight, you risk tearing the uterine lining. I'm actually going to deloaded a bit more this week, I'm incredibly exhausted and the weights I was using last week just sound too heavy right now!

I'm also continuing with my PiYo, a few other cardio DVDs, and LOTS of walking. Jogged for about 15 minutes last week, and had to stop because my boobs hurt too much. As the pregnancy progresses, I will obviously need to make adjustments. My goal is to keep moving and focus on nutrition.

I should add that I'm still overweight, and my Dr would like to see my total gain to be no more than 25lbs. So for me, continuing to move by at least walking, will play an important role.

Talk to your Dr to find out if it is ok for you to continue your normal routine. Good luck to you! I hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy!
  • TheNewoImproved
    TheNewoImproved Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I wish :-( I wasn't lifting regularly enough to feel confident enough to lift
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I wish :-( I wasn't lifting regularly enough to feel confident enough to lift

Nor was I. I have a small set of hand weights which i used with Jillian Michaels but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it was proper weight lifting! I will be making a concerted effort to change that once I'm back to full workouts!
  • getfitgal123
    getfitgal123 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am still lifting - I do kettlebell training 3 X week. I am 24 weeks along. So far only modifications needed have been more rest breaks and more water. I don't try to really push myself with the amount of weight either.
    I had been training for 1.5yrs 3 X per week, pre-preg though.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I crossfit and am now well into 2nd trimester, going 6x a week. I have reduced my squat load to doing multiple reps at about 70% of my max. I am still lifting heavy for overhead press and deadlifts, though I think my coach may tell me to scale back on the deadlifts this week. At this stage in pregnancy, I have been feeling full of energy and very strong, so it's hard to keep reminding myself of why I need to reduce load. Otherwise, I'm still doing all my supplementary resistance training as well - push-ups, pull-ups, air squats, burpees, etc.
  • mg720
    mg720 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Pre pregnancy i was lifting 6 days a week. Now i simply dont have the energy to do it so often (props to all you amazing ladies who do)...i have been trying my best to get to the gym at least 2-3 days a week and when i do go i still lift but not as heavy.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Pre pregnancy i was lifting 6 days a week. Now i simply dont have the energy to do it so often (props to all you amazing ladies who do)...i have been trying my best to get to the gym at least 2-3 days a week and when i do go i still lift but not as heavy.

Right there with ya! I was doing 5-6 days a week pre-pregnancy. Now Im doing 3 days of full body.
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I crossfit and am now well into 2nd trimester, going 6x a week. I have reduced my squat load to doing multiple reps at about 70% of my max. I am still lifting heavy for overhead press and deadlifts, though I think my coach may tell me to scale back on the deadlifts this week. At this stage in pregnancy, I have been feeling full of energy and very strong, so it's hard to keep reminding myself of why I need to reduce load. Otherwise, I'm still doing all my supplementary resistance training as well - push-ups, pull-ups, air squats, burpees, etc.

I love reading this! I almost didn't train during my first tri (I'm only 10 weeks now) and I can't wait to have more energy in 2nd trimester. I miss my hip thursts, deadlifts, squats... But right now I barely have enough energy to go through my work day :( I was also doing 4-5x a week... My goal is to get back to 2 days of weights and 1 day of cardio starting in the 2nd trimester.
  • sara_m83
    Options

I love reading this! I almost didn't train during my first tri (I'm only 10 weeks now) and I can't wait to have more energy in 2nd trimester. I miss my hip thursts, deadlifts, squats... But right now I barely have enough energy to go through my work day :( I was also doing 4-5x a week... My goal is to get back to 2 days of weights and 1 day of cardio starting in the 2nd trimester.

Oh the first trimester was hard for me! I could barely manage 3 workouts a week (down from my usual 7/week) and just making it through the day was hard. I hear you! For me, it got better almost instantly in week 13. Hang in there!
  • fit_mama30
    Options

Oh the first trimester was hard for me! I could barely manage 3 workouts a week (down from my usual 7/week) and just making it through the day was hard. I hear you! For me, it got better almost instantly in week 13. Hang in there!

Thanks! I was able to hit the gym this morning after sleeping in (day off from work; Dr appointment this afternoon). It felt AMAZING to get back to my squats, deadlifts, etc. I'm so excited to having more energy already!
  • fit_mama30
    Options
    I had my first appointment with the nurse yesterday. It went well... She didn't do an u/s or anything, just took my heigh weight and all the usual stuff (going over medical history and etc.).

BUT... She asked me what exercice I do, which is dance and weight lifting. She basically told me I should stick to 20 pounds weight or so... :/ I didn't say anything but I don't plan on following that advice. Is that bad?! I mean, she also told me I could do everything I was doing before.

I did deadlifts the morning before the appt, now I can sometimes deadlift 160 pounds but I stuck to about 85 pounds that day (especially after a month off the gym). Am I the only one who still decides to lift more than 5 pounds dumbbells? If the doctor sees I need to slow down because there is something wrong with my pregnancy, I'll do it. But now it was just general advice, and I don't feel it applies to me.

What do you think?
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think you should listen to your body. If you feel you can do it, you might as well. I split wood at 4.5 months pregnant for about 6 hours one weekend. I wasn't lifting super heavy logs or anything, but I was bending down, squatting and lifting some medium-sized logs. I was sore, but felt fine otherwise.

At this point, I'm not lifting. It's not because I'm avoiding it, it's just because I don't like weights. I have to wrangle a 70 pound Rottweiler while out for a walk, so I consider that lifting. LOL. Seriously, my main form of exercise these days is walking the dog. I'm walking on average 5-6k per day because of the dog. I don't have the time or will to lift weights. I will start my push-up and tricep dip routine when I start my mat leave and the baby is born. That takes all of five minutes and I get great results.

Luckily, I'm able to keep a toned appearance naturally without lifting heavy weights. I hope I stay like that. :)
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My first visit with the dr, he asked if I exercise, I said yes. He said, good keep it up. Then asked what do I do? I answered P90x and Insanity. He was quiet for a second and then said, Oh those are really intense aren't they? You probably shouldn't do them but you can run and swim. Now, I do run some, but haven't for awhile because of foot problems so I didn't feel comfortable re-starting running after getting pregnant. But I felt totally confident modifying P90x and continuing with that.

I did pretty much stop Insanity because my heart rate skyrockets too quickly. I also started adding in some Bodybeast (weightlifting) and I feel great. I modify where I feel it is needed and take a few more breaks than I used to. So I am going against Dr's advice. I am NOT telling you it's ok to do that, you need to make the decision for yourself, but my body is totally used to working out hard, on Saturdays I would run a few miles after doing Insanity. that is what I was used to doing and was still doing it before I knew I was pregnant and a few weeks after I found out, then I stopped when nausea and fatigue hit me. Now I am working out more again, but being careful because I definitely lost strength when I was taking it easier. I think do what feels ok for you, but don't push strength gains.
    I had my first appointment with the nurse yesterday. It went well... She didn't do an u/s or anything, just took my heigh weight and all the usual stuff (going over medical history and etc.).

BUT... She asked me what exercice I do, which is dance and weight lifting. She basically told me I should stick to 20 pounds weight or so... :/ I didn't say anything but I don't plan on following that advice. Is that bad?! I mean, she also told me I could do everything I was doing before.

I did deadlifts the morning before the appt, now I can sometimes deadlift 160 pounds but I stuck to about 85 pounds that day (especially after a month off the gym). Am I the only one who still decides to lift more than 5 pounds dumbbells? If the doctor sees I need to slow down because there is something wrong with my pregnancy, I'll do it. But now it was just general advice, and I don't feel it applies to me.

What do you think?
  • fit_mama30
    Options
    Thanks to both of you ^^
    I do believe in doing what I was doing pre-pregnancy... and adjust the weights of course. And listening to my body. Unless something is wrong with my pregnancy, I don't see myself stopping lifting weights. At some point, it will probably be unconfortable to squat and deadlift (because of my growing belly) but it isn't a concern right now, so I plan on keeping up with my (lighter) squats & deadlifts until then.

;)
  • sara_m83
    Options
    Again, as a researcher, I am not happy taking "conventional wisdom" to heart without knowing the science behind it. I have devoted a lot of energy to researching workout intensity and effects on pregnancy and have come to the conclusion that the warnings doctors give are based on old wives tales and not on science. The only study that found any negative outcome on fetal development from high intensity exercise was done on elite athletes who were regularly and consistently training at above 90% of their max heart rate. These women tended to have healthy children with slightly lower than average birth weights.

What I have taken from the innumerable other studies on heart rate, intensity, and pregnancy is that, provided you do not consistently or for long durations exceed 90% of your max heart rate while exercising, you should not be concerned. For me, that is 170 bpm. I use a heart rate monitor during workouts with an alert set to sound if my heart rate exceeds 170. It usually does once or twice a session, at which point I back off, take a break, and resume when my HR is back down to 160 or so.

PS. when it comes to lifting, I am sticking to 70-80% of my 1 rep maxes for squats & deadlifts, but have been given the green light to go as heavy as possible for overhead presses, as these are actually helpful for strengthening your core, including your pelvic floor muscles so vital for birthing. This week, my deadlifts were at sets of 5 at 145lbs. My squats were sets of 5 at 100lbs.
  • fit_mama30
    Options
    Well, thanks again for your very complete answer! I also don't like "conventional wisdom". The nurse did not ask me how much I was lifting prior to being pregnant. I think most nurses/doctors don't think women usually 'lift heavy' (which tends to be true if I look around) so this may be why they suggest not lifting anything heavier than a 20 pounds dumbbell. But what if I had a kid that weighted 25-30 pounds? My friend's kid is 25 pounds or so and I lift him all the time without an issue. There is no way I'll stick to cardio for 9 months. It's boring!

I believe in strenghtening my core AND back and I'm sure this will lead to less problems in the long run. I'll talk to my doc when I see him next month. He's young and apparently he's also an athlete so his opinon might differ.

I'm glad to see other people sharing my point of view, most of the people around me are suggesting I 'take it easy' and not lift too much. I just nod and do my own thing in the gym... good thing my BF agrees with me though ;)
  • MySkinnyJeans2014
    Options
    I'm at 28 Weeks now
    I went to the gym and had a personal trainer write a fitness plan for me last week. (It's free where I go! woop!) My usual workout routine is intense - but I took a break from the gym starting right when I got pregnant and now I'm a pile. (never doing that again). I plan to use the routine she gave me for a couple weeks and then go back and hopefully tell her it was way too easy and increase the intensity slightly. Obviously this is going to depend on if my baby and body agree with me.

My first pregnancy I worked out HARD through the first trimester. TONS of push ups, P90x videos, strength training,yoga, etc. I had a great workout buddy and I didn't want to tell her I was pregnant until week 12. It turned out to be the BEST thing I've ever done and I wish I would've done that with this one.

I did keep working out throughout my first pregnancy but just didn't do the exercises to their fullest. (i.e. knee push ups, no moves requiring laying on your back, not increasing weights, when I felt tired I took a breather) and that seemed to work out great. I also didn't do much but prenatal yoga for the last month or so.
  • sara_m83
    Options
    I did keep working out throughout my first pregnancy but just didn't do the exercises to their fullest. (i.e. knee push ups, no moves requiring laying on your back, not increasing weights, when I felt tired I took a breather) and that seemed to work out great. I also didn't do much but prenatal yoga for the last month or so.

Just another myth to dispel: you can do things laying on your back - there is no risk here unless you are one of the unfortunate women who experiences dizziness/nausea while laying on your back.
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Are you serious? I need to do some of my own research also, because I have been modifying to not do anything laying on my back and trying not to sleep laying on my back. Ok, I am a researcher too, I need to go do my own research!

Just another myth to dispel: you can do things laying on your back - there is no risk here unless you are one of the unfortunate women who experiences dizziness/nausea while laying on your back.
  • sara_m83
    Options
    Is anyone getting pain/discomfort from ab exercises, particularly in the plank position? I don't know if it's just that the uterus is getting in the way now or what. During abs and in lunges, I get the oddest sensations/discomfort.