Just started running again

Options
Thaeda
Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
Ok... MANY years ago I used to run. I was running between 20-30 miles per week. Then I started gaining weight.... and stopped running about 8 years ago. After losing almost 100 pounds, I thought it was time to give it a try. IDK if you can call it "running"... I was going at only 5mph on the treadmill for 30 seconds in between 3 min. walking intervals, but I am going slowly. I have had trouble since April with my left Achilles and it is FINALLY doing ok, so I do not want to tweak it. I have to keep reminding myself I am 44-- not 24. I am hoping to get back into running more, but would like to lose another 15-20 pounds before I do a lot of running-- less risk of injury the lighter I am. :)

Replies

• asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Good for you, for losing the weight and trying to do something that you previously did. You are right thou, you don't want to push yourself to hard right now, especially if you are just freshly healed. Take your time, increase you duration and speed and you will get back to where you want to be. Congrats on all you accomplishments!! :drinker:
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting out of your comfort zone and trying something different! You are an inspiration! Isn't it a great feeling to know you can do so much more now than you could 100 lbs ago?
  • Thaeda
    Options
    Thanks much! My knees hurt me the next day (probably because I was wearing cross trainers instead of my good running shoes), but I want to give it another try tomorrow! :happy:
  • MistyHiker
    MistyHiker Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I so want to be able to run! I told myself once I hit the 100lb lost I was going to start trying. Thanks for the inspiration!
  • gastrognome89
    gastrognome89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Great news, running gives you such a good boost of energy. I haven't run in ages, been too self-conscious about my weight and lethargic from all the crap I was eating.

Question from me - how long post surgery should I wait before I start jogging again? I think Doc said to wait 6 weeks does that sound right? Also are there any exercises you can do (other than walking) safely in the first few weeks post op? Keen to make the most of the 'honeymoon period' while it lasts.

Gnomie.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have heard good things about the Couch to 5K program. It starts walking and gradually adds in running intervals. There are plenty of C25K groups here.

My hips are still not terribly excited about me running again. It will be interesting to see if losing more weight will allow it back into my life.

Rob
  • kglowins
    kglowins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have recently tried running. I'm doing one minute intervals in between walking. However, my biggest problem is breathing while running. I'm doing it all wrong and it makes it so much harder. Any tips? I know it should be in through your nose out through your mouth.
  • Thaeda
    Options
    I never really paid much attention. Just breathing works. ;) I would not worry about a specific method. :bigsmile:

Ok, I have recently tried running. I'm doing one minute intervals in between walking. However, my biggest problem is breathing while running. I'm doing it all wrong and it makes it so much harder. Any tips? I know it should be in through your nose out through your mouth.