Holiday Meal Survival Tips

Options
Hey everyone! We all know that fall/winter means lots of holiday gatherings with lots of yummy, yummy food... It's a really dangerous time for anyone on a diet, haha :) Let's share our tips on how to be smart with all that food around!

For me, the biggest change is with drinks. I only drink no-calorie beverages like tea or water at a party. I limit myself to one glass of wine or one beer etc. if I want to have something alcoholic.

It's just so easy to drink, and drink, and drink.... Once you see how many calories in in a single beer or a glass of juice, it can be scary. I used to drink more calories than I would eat during any party!

How about you guys? Any tips?

Replies

• catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I agree with cutting back on the alcohol intake. Also try to eat more protein and fill up on that helps a bit too....sustains me a bit longer too so I am not as hungry. Also trying to pay attention to 'how much' you eat....like if you are going to eat a cookie, then just try to eat one and fill up on water so you get that full feeling. Also trying to start you big holiday meals with a big salad, fills me up and then I don't have much room for the stuffing (which I LOVE) and mashed potatoes etc.
  • XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    Options
    I always try and bring a healthy dish. That way if everyone else decided on cookies and brownies and cake I have a healthy option that I know I'll enjoy. :)
  • Kerri81
    Kerri81 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My family tends to go all out for the holidays. So the plan this year is to try and substitute some of the items with healthier way to cook them. My mom has already told everyone. "If you don't like it then don't eat it or cook for yourself." :) Last year instead of mashed potatoes we did mashed cauliflower. Ended up being a big hit.
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    When I was on Atkins, I did the mashed cauliflower and it was very good!! Filling up on water before you eat helps too. I love coleslaw too and keeping the mayonaise to a minimum or light mayo helps and I add sweetner to it too instead of sugar. I know not everyone is into the artifical sweetners, but I am...even the Splenda brown sugar for the sweet potatoes or squash is good...at least I am not using the real deal with all the calories. I think also if you really can be mindful and plan your portion sizes that helps too...having a little bit of this and a little bit of that makes the meal feel like a real holiday meal instead of restricting major items or omitting them totally.
  • MPwife10
    MPwife10 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I save my cheat meals for the holiday Lol. That way I am not stressing but I still watch the amount I eat. I only cook for my husband, me, my dad and the girls so it's pretty easy. Plus I can't have egg because I am nursing so that will make it easier not to eat a whole pumpkin pie haha,