What to wear in the rain

Options
Smooth06
Smooth06 Posts: 28 Member
I am participating in my first 5k. I am excited, nervous, and everything in between! There is a chance for rain on the day of the race. What do you recommend I run in if it rains ( a poncho, jacket , etc) ? Any suggestions for this "First Timer" would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• larrewl
    larrewl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I would wear a garbage bag with holes for my head and arms if it's raining before the race then shed it for the 5k. Getting wet for a 5k is not going to hurt you as long as you use common sense. Good Luck! :smile:
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I live in Seattle thus running in the great outdoors in the winter requires one to run in the rain constantly. My advice to you is this: Do not wear cotton. Cotton will get wet, heavy, cause chaffing and not dry. Same for your socks and under garments, no cotton!! Some people prefer to wear a hat with a brim on rainy days to help keep the rain out of their eyes. I always just wear long sleeved non cotton shirts for my rainy day runs if it's cold out and if it's warm a tank top (again, not cotton). Will it be warm? Remember as you race your body is going to heat itself right up so try not to dress in too many layers. Rain ponchos and jackets tend to trap the heat in so if it's not going to be super cold I would skip them. It's only a 5K so you can handle being wet and chilled for a bit. Bring something dry and warm to put on after your race - perhaps a dry pair of shoes and socks also. If it's really going to be pouring bring a plastic bag to put your wet clothes in or to sit on for the ride home.

Enjoy your race! They're addicting.
  • Smooth06
    Options
    Thank you for the advice! Yes, it will be warm. I will definitely remember " No Cotton"! I will let you know how it goes!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    No cotton socks either. Get special (non-wicking) running socks.
  • Smooth06
    Options
    I did it!!! Thank you all for your advice. Yesterday, I completed my first 5K race!! Guess what? It did rain, but stopped just in time for the run to begin! Because of your advice, I was well prepared! Now, to prepare for my next one! I think I am HOOKED!!
  • diana5066
    diana5066 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    way to go! I am doing my 1st 5k in 4 weeks..
  • Smooth06
    Options
    That is wonderful Diana5066! I am so excited for you! Enjoy every minute of it! Watch out....you may fall in love with it :love: !
  • ShortMrsN
    ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Yay!! Well done!!:flowerforyou:

I'm hoping to do my 1st 5k at the end of November......if I can get the day off work!!!