Wow, I did that!

Options
My best friend lives on the island of Dominica in the eastern Carribbean, which is pretty much a vertical island with very little flat land. They are known as the "Nature Island" and have a number of waterfalls, hot springs, and other cool features only accessible by trail. Before this year, I've only managed a few as I couldn't haul my much larger self up most of the mountains.

Last week I managed the ultimate hike on the island, the Boiling Lake hike. It is typically 6-7 hours, and I took about 7.5hrs. The weather was perfect, and I finished it! Even with all the exercise and physical activity I've been doing over the past few months I still was half dead halfway through (reaching the lake) and am really not sure how I made it back. It took me around three days before I could walk normally, lol.

But I know without a doubt that this is not something I could have ever done before having the surgery and getting myself in shape. My friend even told me (after I got back), that she had always discouraged me before because she was worried that I might seriously hurt myself attempting it. It just makes me that much more inspired to go out and do more! Maybe I will finally tackle one of the century bike rides my co-worker keeps trying to convince me to do.

Someone did a nice summary of the hike (not me): http://www.travelingsolemates.com/dominica-the-hike-to-the-boiling-lake/

Seriously, I did that :D

Replies

• asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Good for you, is it not empowering to be able to do something that you knew that you would not have been able to do before. Enjoy your accomplishment. Now on to your next adventure! :flowerforyou:
  • becskimo
    Options
    Congratulations! That is so incredible. 7 and a half hours of anything makes me bite my lip and grimace. You totally rock.
  • teachren
    Options
    Congratulations! It's an amazing feeling when you accomplish something you know you never could have done before surgery. You get a real adrenalin high, right?

Give the bike ride a shot! :-)

Well don!
  • kittenincalgary
    kittenincalgary Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    What an awesome accomplishment! I followed that link you posted and holey moley, it looks so beautiful there.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Oh my WORD!! That is a WONDERFUL accomplishment!! You must be thrilled (and sore... but more thrilled, right?). What I love about these kinds of things is it gives us the courage to try all kinds of things we never thought we could do before. How exciting!!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!

You will never again have a challenge ahead of you that will look the same. You will have this huge success in your memory bank to remind yourself of how much you can accomplish!

Great job!

Rob
  • Liongoddess
    Liongoddess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful accomplishment!
  • foxymitchell
    foxymitchell Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Way to go. Looks like you accomplished something that you've been wanting to do along time!!
  • actg95
    actg95 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    YAY!!! Congratulations!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful! Happy for you!