Walking Dead Spinoff Series Announced

Options
A friend of mine told me about this. I must have been under a rock because I didn't know about it until today.

AMC announced today that it has ordered a pilot episode of a companion series for The Walking Dead.

The Walking Dead producers Robert Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd and David Alpert will also executive produce the new project which, like the original, is being produced by AMC Studios. Dave Erickson (Sons of Anarchy), who co-created and co-wrote the pilot with Kirkman, will serve as an executive producer and showrunner.

“Almost from the beginning of The Walking Dead on AMC, fans have been curious about what is going on in the zombie apocalypse in other parts of the world. In fact, beyond requests for zombie cameos, it’s the question I get asked the most,” said AMC President Charlie Collier. “Obviously, we all take our stewardship of the original franchise incredibly seriously and we, along with Robert, Gale, David and now Dave, are all proceeding with extreme care in order to ensure that we are offering fans something truly compelling, engaging and distinct. We’re thrilled to be taking this next step with these remarkable partners.”

The pilot is scheduled for production in late 2014. No additional details are being provided about the location and/or casting for the pilot at this time.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/05/pilot-ordered-for-the-walking-dead-spinoff

Replies

• BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    After reading the entire article... I have no more information than I had just reading the headline! I need answers! Where is it taking place? Will it be several locations or just focusing on one area like the current show? Who is going to be in it? What are they calling it?! Why you gotta tease me, Books?!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Sorry! :laugh:

So what do we want to see in the spin-off?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Definitely what is happening in the other major cities in the USA
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I would love to see what's going on in other cities, other coutries even.

I would also like a glimpse into the very beginnings of the walkers. To my knowledge, they have only shown a few clips of the escapes of some of the characters. Shane being at the hospital trying to rescue Rick, or Lori out on the highway with Shane trying to get away from the city.

Even having new character stories, but based more on the beginnings of the apocolypse, if that makes sense.

But I will be watching whatever they put out, for sure.
  • HoneyFrogger
    HoneyFrogger Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to it! But with out Sweet Sweet Daryl it won't be as good ;)
  • Booksandbeaches
    Options
    I agree. Without Darryl, it's just not the same. And Michonne. Without a Michonne a series about zombies just isn't as good.
  • BryVia12
    BryVia12 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I just hope they air it during the summer cuz this has been a long wait! It would be nice to have something to watch during the off season!
  • RLMsFitnessPal
    RLMsFitnessPal Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've long been curious about how the zombie apocalypse began. I'd like to see a story focused on patient zero and how the plague spread beyond our ability to control it. I think it'd be interesting to learn more about the science behind how the disease kills us and causes us to reanimate.
  • Slendermike
    Slendermike Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    After reading the entire article... I have no more information than I had just reading the headline! I need answers! Where is it taking place? Will it be several locations or just focusing on one area like the current show? Who is going to be in it? What are they calling it?! Why you gotta tease me, Books?!

No kidding - I want details
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Details aren't going to happen. However there is just a twinge more information here:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/09/05/walking-dead-companion-series/

It sounds doubtful there will be crossover characters for at least the first couple of seasons. No telling on this sketchy information though.
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I believe I heard of a June date. Nothing but a teaser screen graphic, no trailers out yet that I've seen. I think I saw that on one of the last episodes of Better Call Saul for this season.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    There was a preview during either the show finale or the Talking Dead finale..it was in LA. If the preview isn't in any of the links above, it features a bunch of random shots of LA while a radio DJ talks about the nasty new flu going around and how if you're sick you should stay home...last shot is a zombie walking through a tunnel... :)

ETA, sorry lol didn't realize most of the thread was older.
  • annaheyoolay
    annaheyoolay Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I think it comes out in July.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    There is a trailer for it online. It looked awesome.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Options
    It looks good. Someone said that Latino family that appeared in the first season and parted ways with Rick's group because they wanted to go back to their hometown to find relatives might be appearing on this spinoff.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I only saw the trailer posted here: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-walking-dead-spinoff-unveils-ominous-first-trailer/

There doesn't look like much to it. Is there a longer one somewhere?
  • StephanieOugh2014
    StephanieOugh2014 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think it's being filmed in Vancouver, bc