Weekly encouragement: Sept 22 - 28

Options
kirkor
kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
Didn't see the thread yet so I figured I'd start it!

The 28th will be Day 1 for me. So this week I'm looking for recipes, doing some shopping, checking labels on cans I already have, etc.
I'm also going to hold off on added sugar stuff this week as a "pre game" since sugar is the toughest craving I get.

Replies

• girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Today is day 11. And also my first day at a new job. But its going okay.
  • kirkor
    Options
    Eating up all my oatmeal, canned corn, and non-compliant canned tuna this week. :)
  • girlcalledryan
    Options
    I am saving those. Well, I am allowing my family to eat them, and depending on how reintro goes, we will phase them out if needed.
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Day 18 here. Yesterday I was not hungry in the least; today I think I could have eaten anything that wasn't nailed down. I had that chocolate chili for lunch (with the added veggies) and I guess it was just enough to get my appetite going, but not fill me up. I came home and wanted to devour everything! Luckily I had leftovers to eat.

@ryan, Congrats on the new job; what is it you're doing? (And thanks for the recipe in the last thread.)

@Kikor, I like your game plan: stop eating sugar, but eat all the non-compliant other food. :) I bet you will find this easier than you think it will be. I like it because there's no wiggle room. I can't tell you how much fake sugar I ate while doing South Beach, and my cravings never really went away like they have with whole30.
  • girlcalledryan
    Options
    @triplestep, I am a medical assistant. I used to work for a pediatric office, but I transferred to family medicine closer to home. So far, I don't like it much, but my husband and I decided I would give it 6 full months before I thought about leaving.

Today I made "bang bang" shrimp. It was SO GOOD.

I made a simple hot sauce by sauteeing a sliced big hot pepper and some onion and garlic powder in about 1/2 tbsp of light tasting olive oil for few minutes, then adding 1/2 cup of water to the pan. Sauteeing that about 20 minutes, until the liquid almost all evaperates out. Then cool a little and puree in food processor or blender with about 1/2-1 cup of white vinegar (depends on how you like your hot sauce, I used about 1/2 cup). Do all that in a well ventilated area or the peppers will choke you.

Finely chop a small cabbage and medium onion and sautee in 1 tbsp coconut oil, add 2-3 eggs and sautee until onion is clear, cabbage is tender, and egg is cooked through. yay "fried rice"! while that pan is going fry the shrimp.

Coat patted dry, peeled, deveined shrimp in a mixture of 1 tbsp almond flour, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp garlic. Pan fry in 1-2 tbsp hot coconut oil.

Prepare other stir fry veggies if desired. I cooked mine with coconut secret garlic sauce (yum)

Mix homemade mayo (1/2 cup) with 1 tsp red pepper flakes, 1/4-1/2 tsp lime juice, 1 tbsp hot sause in a small bowl. Coat shrimp in sauce or drizzle over plate. Adjust hot sauce amount to taste.

No joke, this meal was so good I made more cabbage fried rice mix and put the leftover sauce over chicken thighs for lunch tomorrow! And, I was able to serve my son's without sauce.
  • kirkor
    Options
    That shrimp stir fry sounds awesome!

With all these recipes I've been reading about, I think I should probably get a food processor.
  • df1982
    df1982 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to all for getting this far!

Sorry for bing MIA. I'm out with a killer flu. Somehow, I've managed to keep up my Whole30, although my meals have obviously been small, not perfectly balanced - or non-existent.
  • df1982
    df1982 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    @triplestep, I am a medical assistant. I used to work for a pediatric office, but I transferred to family medicine closer to home. So far, I don't like it much, but my husband and I decided I would give it 6 full months before I thought about leaving.

Today I made "bang bang" shrimp. It was SO GOOD.

I made a simple hot sauce by sauteeing a sliced big hot pepper and some onion and garlic powder in about 1/2 tbsp of light tasting olive oil for few minutes, then adding 1/2 cup of water to the pan. Sauteeing that about 20 minutes, until the liquid almost all evaperates out. Then cool a little and puree in food processor or blender with about 1/2-1 cup of white vinegar (depends on how you like your hot sauce, I used about 1/2 cup). Do all that in a well ventilated area or the peppers will choke you.

Finely chop a small cabbage and medium onion and sautee in 1 tbsp coconut oil, add 2-3 eggs and sautee until onion is clear, cabbage is tender, and egg is cooked through. yay "fried rice"! while that pan is going fry the shrimp.

Coat patted dry, peeled, deveined shrimp in a mixture of 1 tbsp almond flour, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp garlic. Pan fry in 1-2 tbsp hot coconut oil.

Prepare other stir fry veggies if desired. I cooked mine with coconut secret garlic sauce (yum)

Mix homemade mayo (1/2 cup) with 1 tsp red pepper flakes, 1/4-1/2 tsp lime juice, 1 tbsp hot sause in a small bowl. Coat shrimp in sauce or drizzle over plate. Adjust hot sauce amount to taste.

No joke, this meal was so good I made more cabbage fried rice mix and put the leftover sauce over chicken thighs for lunch tomorrow! And, I was able to serve my son's without sauce.

This seriously sounds amazing. Maybe I'm getting my appetite back! Thank you for sharing!
  • girlcalledryan
    Options
    Today I made coconut crusted shrimp. With "pina colada" sauce. It was yum as well.
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It's Rosh Hashana - the Jewish New Year - and I went out to eat for the first time on Whole30 yesterday. Managed to stay on track AND I actually enjoyed my meal more than I thought I would. (Grilled shrimp, potato, broccoli, drizzled lemon.) Yes, shrimp is not kosher - I don't adhere to the Jewish dietary restrictions. My husband did rib me a little for eating non-kosher food to celebrate a Jewish High Holiday. :)

I don't think I would have enjoyed this meal a month ago, and I was worried after I ordered that it would be too dry with no sauces or butter. But I think I am enjoying the taste of unadulterated food more after a few weeks of eating like this. I don't know what the Shrimp were grilled in - it may have been non-compliant - but a baked potato tasted fine with bites of grilled shrimp on the same fork.

I will say that I will probably have to go back to sweet potatoes; three hour nap after lunch and then up all night after that. I'm guessing it was the white potato, which is permissible, but it was the first one I ate since starting Whole30

@Ryan, sorry the new job isn't all you'd hoped. I think giving it some time is probably a good idea. I'm also in a new job that is just "meh" but my commute is so much better, so I'm grateful for that at least. More time to spend cooking and exercising. That's the plan anyway!

@Kikor, do some research on the food processor, or you'll end up like me with several things that blend, grind and chop. There have got to be some out there that do more things than my old individual pieces!

@DF, hope you're feeling better soon!
  • girlcalledryan
    Options
    Triplestep, good job at dinner. I have been surprised lately what is satisfying. I don't crave hardly anything, and if I do get a taste for something, it passes quickly. Mostly what I crave is ethnic food, and its gone in an hour. Maybe next time bring some ghee, olive oil, or homemade dressing so you can enjoy you meal more.
    I bring my "ranch" with me.
  • girlcalledryan
    Options
    Hey everyone, how's the weekend going?