Well back on the band wagon...

Options
Hello all,
My name is Meiya and here I am once again. I have tried this dieting thing so many times since I was younger and always do so well for a few months then it's back to the sweets and crappy food. But I'm going to be 21 in about 4 months, and I want to bring in not only the new year, but my birthday with a BANG! I'm tired of feeling like that frumpy fat girl. Currently I am at 238 lbs, which considering I was up to about 274 about 8 months ago, isn't half bad. But I keep falling off track, and find it so hard to get back on track. I guess that's why I'm here. I'm thinking maybe if I reach out and get some help then it not only makes me responsible for myself but to you guys as well.

I want to lose about 30-40 lbs in the ext 4 months. On average that's about 10 lbs a month, that's the "healthy" range for someone my size. I need to completely cut out bad sugars, bad/excessive carbs, and I need to start going to the gym almost everyday. I bought a year membership to the 24-hr gym in my town, and I plan to utilize it! I just need some help!

Anyone have any pointers as to how to stay on track? Any cheats as to better manage your portions? I am in this for the long haul, and I need all the support I can get. Today, is the first day of the rest of my life! :)

So shoot me some friend requests, some messages, I'd love to get to know you all. Thanks for the help, in advance. and I hope I can help you along too!!

- Meiya

Replies

• leannabseven
    leannabseven Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hi, Meiya, and welcome to the group.

My best advice is to gain knowledge...that sounds trite, but seriously, learn what a normal portion is, then, weigh and measure and log. I don't know a sure-fire shortcut, but knowledge is power.

My turning point was accepting that there is no temporary solution; this is a permanent problem and the solution is a permanent change in your life in regards to food and activity. The trick is not to dread it and feel like it's something you HAVE to do, but rather that it is a choice you are making and a lifestyle you are embracing.

Good luck. If you'd like to friend me here, I'll be happy to cheer you on.

LeAnna
  • Etherlily1
    Etherlily1 Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Meiya, welcome to the group!

A tool that I use to do things one at a time. It can be so tempting to see all the issues and try to tackle them all at once. The problem with that is you burn out, get frustrated easily when something slips or does not seem to work the way you want it too, or it all becomes too much and you are overwhelmed and possibly panicky by the enormity of the situation.

For portion control I am doing the 21-Day Fix (exercise and eating plan) which comes with a portion controlled eating plan using color coded containers to help you portion out what you need, and it's not a small amount of food either but healthy choices. I like this because I do not have to spend a lot of time measuring and counting. If it fits I can eat it (some items are numbered per how much equals one container). That's one way. The other way I had been doing it was following www.choosemyplate.gov - This site is more than just telling you how much something is supposed to be; there are other sections designed to help you stay on track.
  • ShyGirl1978sm
    ShyGirl1978sm Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi Meiya, welcome to the group, I'm quite new too so maybe we could cheer each other on?

Your post sounds exactly like me, like I could have written it! I always used to be gung-ho at the start, cutting out everything and going exercise crazy, but it'd last a month tops then I'd find it too hard and give in. Then I read a really great article about weight loss and it suggested only tackling one thing at a time. So ie, in the first week aim to drink 8 glasses of water each day. In the second week focus on portion control, in the 3rd week cut down on sugary treats etc.

So I've taken this approach this time and I feel more focused. I'm not on a diet, I'm making a lifestyle change - oh I sound a bit preachy there lol :)

As for portion control, I measure all my food and log everything. It's time consuming but I can see where I've been going wrong before and once I've done it long enough it'll become second nature.

I have also used the support from the boards etc this time, I didn't before but it's really helping me.

Good luck with your journey and I hope I can help you through it :)
  • jenmar17
    jenmar17 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Hi Meiya,

I'm also in my 20s and also relatively knew to MFP. I was also around your weight during college (I've gained a bit more sense then). I wish I would have been like you and nipped it in the butt back then.

You've already been given some great advice, but I'll second it.

Some of the best advice I've ever been given is that you shouldn't do anything to lose weight that you wouldn't want to continue to do the rest of your life. You have to think about this as a lifestyle change. Not a "diet" or some big obstacle. You are making a decision to live a healthier, happier life, and to feel better and better about yourself. That is exciting! Make that your goal, and get excited about it.

Also, it's better to make small changes that you can stick to than to completely overhaul and fall off the wagon in a few months. Start by limiting certain foods or simply getting used to logging your calories. Then start my establishing a calorie limit. Never let yourself go hungry though; if you're hungry drink some water and eat something healthy. For exercise, start by going to the gym four days a week. Then move up from there. Even these small changes, if you stick to them, can have the weight coming off pretty quick.

Anyway, like I said, I'm at the beginning of my journey too. It's going quit well so far (I've lost 26 pounds!), and I couldn't be more motivated to keep going. I sent you a friend request; I'd love to support each other.
  • leannabseven
    leannabseven Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    This is all excellent advice. Once I accepted that I HAVE to weigh, measure and log, my life got much simpler. And I'm also embracing the idea that it's a lifestyle change. I don't want to reach my goal and then have to learn a new way of eating...that just seems like a surefire way for me to fail.