Post marathon weight gain?

Options
Anyone else struggle with this? I'm two weeks post marathon and can't seem to shake these 4 pounds. I'm heading to the start line again in two weeks and would really prefer to not be carrying any extra with me.

Past marathons I haven't had the same issue. Might be up a pound or two for a week, and then it levels off. What gives??

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I plan to gain about 3-5 pounds after this training cycle, but that (according to Matt Fitzgerald and others) is healthy. Even elite marathoners try to gain a little back after a training cycle.

It seems only natural to me if you are doing rest or a reverse taper. I suppose you could fend it off by really watching your intake or doing a mini-quick start kinda thing where you cut 100-300 calories.

This cycle could be different than others if you really got down closer to your ideal racing weight and now you are tapering back up to "living weight" (as I call it in my head...)
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I gain during marathon training... probably gain afterward, too. It is hard to shake that I AM HUNGRY ALL the time after you are done training for a marathon. My answer is to train for another marathon lol