Second Sleeve Soon...

Options
Qski
Qski Posts: 246 Member
Hi Everyone,
I had a gastric sleeve done in October 2006, I got down to around 64kg (my healthy weight range is 50-62kg) at that weight I was a size 8-10 in most stores and pretty happy with my size. I was still a size 10 in Aug 2008, a few months after that I had a relationship break up and then started single life and slowly started to gain. By about 2011 I had gained most of the weight back and I have fluctuated up and down 10kg since then. I did pretty much everything that I shouldn't post surgery and in hindsight was definitely not ready to have the surgery and make the lifestyle changes required.

Late last year I went to weight watchers, started a C25K program and some lifting and lost about 12kg. Then I lost a contract, stressed out about a new one and then it was Christmas and then another job change, getting engaged and deciding to try for a baby changed all that and I gained it back.

When I went to upgrade my health insurance (to add baby related stuff), I realised that bariatric surgery was not considered cosmetic and that I was covered for it (for my 1st surgery I was self funded). I visited a few forums again and started doing some research. I have now seen 2 surgeons (my first one and another at a different hospital), discussed with my gp and a psychologist and my partner and I think that having surgery again along with the tools I used late last year (tracking, couch to 5k and lifting) I should try again.

This means we delay trying for a baby for a year and I focus on getting healthy and changing my health habits permanently this time with the assistance of a second sleeve (I have already had barium swallow, bloods, endoscopy etc done). The surgeon who did my first surgery says he is happy to sleeve me again. I have had no reflux issues, am reasonably healthy (other than mental health issues and high blood pressure). My pouch has stretched to a point where I am able to go to a normal restaurant and eat a starter and a main, but I won't have room for dessert.

I am trying not to do a walk of shame or anything like that. I know what I did wrong and I am determined to not do it this time.
I found MFP very useful and friendly and am glad to have found this group.

I am more than happy to share experience and any positive learnings I can add from what I did first time around

I am meeting with my surgeon on Friday 26th September to decide on a date for my re-sleeve.
*waves Hi*

Replies

• Cathiesunday
    Cathiesunday Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are ready to make it work long term this time. Good luck!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Wow! Wasn't aware you could be "re-sleeved". Good luck with everything this time around.
  • Penelope1975
    Penelope1975 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    One of the things I was told by my physician was that I should delay getting pregnant for 18 months to 2 years following surgery. It may be that it could take that long for my weight loss to stabilize because of the amount I have to lose, but I thought it was a general guideline. That might be something you want to ask about if you are planning to conceive right away.
  • juliebccs
    Options
    I too didn't know you could be done twice? I am glad that you get a second chance.