Half marathon over, now what?

Options
pmur
pmur Posts: 223 Member
I ran my first half this past weekend(2:40). Now I have no "plan" to follow, for the first time since I started running nine months ago. It was c25k and then a 5k race, 10K training and race, HM training right after that and race. I found a 10k I'd like to run for thanksgiving and a HM in the first week of December. I followed Hal Higdon's novice 1 half marathon plan for the half but I just don't want to start over at the beginning. What do all of you suggest? I did 3 weeks of 5/5/10 miles before tapering for the half.

Also, my running buddy who ran the race with me is looking at a mid October half. What is a good plan for her until the half?

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first half!
    If you just completed one you don't need to start over again. I would keep a solid distance until your half in December. You could always start in the middle of Hal's training plan if you want to follow a plan. I would probably keep a long run between 8-12 miles. Your friend depending on when in October could just repeat the last few weeks of the plan? Have a drop down week (this week) and rebuild?

I am sure others have better advice ha ;)
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon has a 10k plan, it's not so much a "work your way up to a 10k" but more of a how to PR your 10k. You could give it a try. Now that you have a good running base just keep it up and keep building on it. Find another half to run and go for a PR. :smile:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Maybe find a full marathon plan and start halway in that? Best way to prepare for a half is to train for a full I say.
  • suetorrence
    suetorrence Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the question. I have been wondering the same thing myself. I completed my second half marathon last weekend and have no other races this year unless some short holiday themed 5ks put on by my local Fleet Feet store. I began running by taking a C25K class through Fleet Feet followed by a 5K race. Then two weeks later I started a half marathon class also put on by Fleet Feet. After that class we ran a half marathon. I did do a five mile run between the 5K and half marathon plus a 12K trail run after the half. Next it was on to training for my second half. Being a new runner - just since last December - and an older one (67) I am unsure what I should be doing that will help me maintain my level of fitness and increase my strength and endurance. There is a group that will be doing hill repeats until it is too icy to run the hills. Any thoughts?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Rewind your half plan and start it however many weeks out til your 10k. With you being so new to running, I wouldn't recommend diving into a full marathon plan since they can peak at 45+MPW (and I doubt you're anywhere near there currently). At a minimum, just continue to build your base with the slow and easy miles since you're running a 2:40 HM. Work on increasing your MPW!
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I would just keep cycling through the mid point of your previous routine for a while until it is time to buckle down for your next race. That way you keep a mileage base up and can concentrate on speed and form (or just running for fun) for a little bit.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Maybe find a full marathon plan and start halway in that? Best way to prepare for a half is to train for a full I say.

I don't think a marathon plan for a 10K is the way to go....
    At a minimum, just continue to build your base with the slow and easy miles since you're running a 2:40 HM. Work on increasing your MPW!
    I would do that. :)
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    In to follow since I'm in a similar situation. My next goal is a 5k PR at the Turkey Trot this year. I haven't run a 5k road race since last year's.
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first half! I don't really have any advice because I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. Nothing to train for and it's bumming me out a bit, I gotta say! I think I'm going to do a half three weeks from now and besides that I'm just going to try to PR on the shorter distances! If you have any desire to run longer than 13.1 you could also start picking out a early spring marathon which would give you a ton of time to train!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Bump for tips! I am running my first half in three weeks and am already wondering what to do over the winter until next spring. Living in the Midwest means fall is for lots of races, but not much until April after that.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first HM!

There are couple of ways of handling this:

First, if you have a specifc race date in mind for the half (and it seems you do), you could just pick up the training at the appropriate point, working backwards from the race date and do that.

But the thing I'd recommend is this: you already have the distance training in, so just keep repeating the last six weeks leading up to the half-marathon with the taper. What you really want to do is keep the long-distance conditioning up and the physical and mental stamina associated with the endurance distance of the half-marathon. But you still want to vary the distance to allow you muscles and your aerobic system to develop and maintain what you've accomplished.

BTW, you are likely to see improvement both because of continued training and because the weather might get even more ideal.

I had to sort this out for myself last year when I ran my first three marathons (ever) in November, February and April. Moreover, I didn't want to "start over" from April to November of this year between two marathons. So every few weeks, until I could back-calculate the training schedule into my "maintenance mileage", I ran two HMs to keep my edge in May and June before racing season here dropped off. I would also run a slow training run of between 15 and 20 miles every few weeks to keep the training along with shorter runs of 45-60 minutes at least twice during the week just to keep to some routine schedule in place.

BTW, it worked.

My HM times (not the split time in the full marathon) have dropped from 2:13:45 in my first HM in March down to 2:01:56 last weekend. My HMs have corresponded with mid-distance speed training runs for my next series of marathons.
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your half!
    But the thing I'd recommend is this: you already have the distance training in, so just keep repeating the last six weeks leading up to the half-marathon with the taper. What you really want to do is keep the long-distance conditioning up and the physical and mental stamina associated with the endurance distance of the half-marathon. But you still want to vary the distance to allow you muscles and your aerobic system to develop and maintain what you've accomplished.

I agree with this plan of action.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I went through the exact same thing in 2012... I went from C25K through 10K and up to HM within 6 months of starting running always with a written out plan ahead of me.

I literally was in the shower in my hotel room after the first HM when the thought occurred to me "now what?"

The real answer is - whatever you want!

You've gotten from the couch to the HM and done it well (my first HM was 2:46, so 2:40 sounds just fine to me:)

What I did at the recommendation of others was to find another goal race a couple of months later and continue with the HM training. I scheduled one for myself 10 weeks after the first and went back into the Hal Higdon HM training plan that I had just used... running about 2/3 of the peak mileage each week until the plan caught up with me and then continuing through the rest of the cycle.

That second race in the fall of 2012 was my best-trained race, and is still my PR nearly two years and 5 more HMs later. I cut 16 minutes off my time from 10 weeks earlier.

One thing I wouldn't recommend is the idea of transitioning right to a full marathon training plan. I thought about it after that second HM and on the advice of runners I respect and trust, I shelved it for nearly two years.

Now this year, after another two years of running, I am finally training for my first full and I feel like I JUST have enough experience and enough of a running base to make a go of it.

Good luck in whatever you do!

Ted
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your HM!! That's a really good time too! I'm doing a HM next week.

My advice would be to sign yourself up for a couple of 10k races over the next few months, to give you goals to train for and then maybe a full or another half marathon next spring!! That's my plan anyways :-)
  • pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Finally, I found my thread! I thought it was lost forever :)
    Dear experienced runners,
    Thank you all for your expert advice. Just like most of you suggested, I rewound my plan to run my long runs starting at 7 miles. I did a 10 miler last weekend. My 10k is in a couple of weeks and it falls on a day that I have to run a 5 miler, so I'm bang on target.
    My HM is on Dec 14th and I have ample time for it. Thanks for telling me that I didn't have to start from scratch. Hopefully, this one will be easier than the last both temp wise and course wise (95 temp at start and 10hills).
    I am continuing to run 10k and half distances for the next year. Around this time next year, I hope to start training for a full marathon.
    For the next half, I plan to follow Hal Higdon's intermediate training plan or the novice 2 plan, whichever one I think will be my level depending on week 1 of the plan!

Thank you all!