We are more than this...

Options
*Stepping on my soap box*

So, I'm noticing that the only topic that really gets any traction is the weekly weigh-in. And don't get me wrong, I LOVE that thread! But we are all on a journey that is not a small undertaking and it isn't one we'll be reaching in the the immediate future....we need to be there to offer support to each other, to share our victories and and our frustrations and even our funny or embarrassing moments if we want.

Many of us have strong support at home; some do not. But unless your support group has been where you are, or is along on the journey with you, they can't understand...truly understand...where you're starting or what causes the biggest struggles. My Mister loves me and is there for me 100%. But if he has any issues with food it is that he is too thin and rarely even thinks about food. As hard as he tries, he just can't "get it".

And for those who have reached your goal or who are much nearer to your goal than you were in the beginning...don't leave us. Perhaps you can't remember or perhaps you didn't have this experience, but never underestimate what it means to those of us who have so far to go to see your posts. To see how far you've come; to hear your stories of how you did it. YOU are what lets me know that I can do it, too. I cannot stress enough what your support means.

Our very own Dan once told me that one of the best ways to stay motivated is to motivate others. So in a way, the journey is not ours alone, and by building a strong support here, we only strengthen ourselves.

*getting off my soap box*

Replies

• m23prime
    m23prime Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    We ALL get wrapped up in our own trips from time to time.

Plus it is the nature of a group like this for participation to wax and wane with the seasons.

When I first started this gig, 452 days ago, I had a LOT of time on my hands. I occupied myself with posting on this site to keep my hands busy and my nose out of the fridge. And I am ever so grateful that I had a forum and an audience with whom I could share my story.

Now, more than a year later, I am a very different person. Physically, i am more than a third smaller than I was. Emotionally, I am tuned in and focused on my needs and desires. Spiritually, I have found new lease on life through exercising my dog. I am not the same man at all.

And the biggest difference between me today and me 452 days ago is time. The time I have available for logging, posting, and liking is now rather limited. I am exercising between two and four hours a day, Shopping for whole food and cooking also take up more of my time than just opening a tin. And finally, as I feel and look better, I am spending more time in the company of my friends and family. I have the energy to enjoy them again--and I am making up for lost time. Plus--I'm doing some showing off! (GRIN!)

So even if I don't have time to post long essays, ed-ops, and general blatherings, I am still here. I am still logging my food. I am still looking over your shoulders and sending out the occasional missive suggesting you drink more water...

Happy thoughts and great losses to you all!

Good logging and good luck,
    Mark
  • p1xyn1xy
    p1xyn1xy Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Leanna and Mark I love this group. I don't post very often. I had to leave another group (yes I posted to 2) because it was too much. They were great but if you missed a day it was an hour of reading to catch up and 2 hours to do personals on a daily basis. Part of this lifestyle change is to lead a more active life.... and spending too much time on here is not conducive to the ideal. I have 3 children... one of them still at home with me most days. She would rather I do anything than sit at this computer. I work almost every evening. And when I'm not the hubby demands attention too. Life is busy. So while I sometimes wish the group was more active... I can't spare much time to it as I used too.

I like knowing that when I do need help... I can post and the people that I've come to care for will reply to it as soon as they get a chance. :)
  • leannabseven
    leannabseven Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I absolutely understand about the changes and the demands of life. Even though I'm only just past the half way point on my journey, I am a different person than I was when I started....both emotionally and physically. And I know I'll be even more changed in another 6 months.

I would love it if some of the newer people in the group would feel comfortable enough to jump in here and keep this group lively. It's a wonderful group. It has been such a help to me, and I want to be that help to others. But I know that it's something that has to be passed along...like a baton.

So let's get to posting...I know you're there; I hope you're checking the board. And if you're wondering if you should participate...Yes, yes you should. :)
  • leannabseven
    leannabseven Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    And Mark, I hope I didn't sound "preachy". You were the one who told me about this group and I am forever grateful to you for that...it really has been a game-changer for me. For the first time in my life I am making changes, but I am not alone, and that is a wonderful thing.
  • emmerin78
    emmerin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Indeed, LeAnna! I know some of us have not been posting as regularly as we had; I think some of it is the beginning of the school year (teachers, parents, kids, other education-y types), but nonetheless, we need to be better about being here to support one another. I know I've been running in place (metaphorically, not physically...which is part of the problem!) for the past month or so, and I'm ready to start moving downward once more. It's good to be reminded that we need to be taking care of ourselves on all levels, and that includes our community.

Safe travels and look forward to seeing more posts soon!! :)