question for the seasoned vsgers

I am just over 3 months out from surgery. I focus on my protein EVERY single meal. I am still only able to eat 3-4 ozs at time and only about 4 x's a day. My caloric intake is only around 500-650/day. Is that ok for this early on?

Replies

• That is pretty typical at 3 months out. I often found that how much I could eat greatly depended on what type of protein I was eating. For example I could eat maybe 3-4 ounces of chicken or ground beef but if I ate say cottage cheese, I could eat 1/2 cup plus a string cheese and a couple bites of veggies. I'd say you are doing good. At that stage you are still focusing on getting in your water and protein more than anything else.

By about 6 months and definitely by 8 months you should notice that you can eat that 3-4 ounces of meat and still have room for at least a few bites of veggies.

At almost 3 years out, I can eat 3-4 ounces of meat plus 1/2 cup or more of veggies at one time plus a little rice or potatoes (if I choose). The further out you get from surgery, the more your meals will start to resemble "normal" meals except they will always be in small quantities. Even now, I use a salad plate for my meals and they definitely aren't heaped up or crowded by any means and I normally can't quite finish that. :smile:
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Sounds pretty normal to me. It was at about 3 months I began working my way up to 1000-1200 calories where I stayed for the remainder of my loss phase. Even today, at 1 year out, I eat no more than 3-4 ounces at a time and do 2 protein suplements per day to hit my target of 75+g\day
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Sounds normal. It gets easier the farther out you get. Go by what your surgical team says because we each have slightly different directions, expectations and procedures.

Pat
  • Sounds about right. Don't worry about calories, just focus on the protein and water and you will be fine. It takes time but things will gradually creep upward. I think for me it was around 7 - 8 months out.

Susan
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Normal calories and protein.

Interestingly, though, at almost a year out I still cannot eat more than 2-2.5 oz of dense protein most of the time. Any more than this and I'd "explode". I have to wonder if my sleeve is extra small or something.
  • kenziesmom_2000
    kenziesmom_2000 Posts: 17 Member
    Thanks everybody... The feed back on this site is awesome! you guys rock!!!
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Sounds like you are doing real well. Keep up the good work and continue to focus on the protein.