Greetings fellow Pilgrims

Options
This may be a shot in the dark since there hasn't been any activity on the board for quite some time. Are there any other Pilgrims or wannabe Pilgrims out there trying to get in shape for a Camino? If so I'd love some discussion.

I'm planning to walk a year from now, September '15.

Buen Camino

Replies

• rielley
    rielley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just saw your message on Facebook! I am planning on walking the Camino next April! I must get serious about my training. I am in St. Louis, MO. My name is Mary. Rielley is my maiden name.
  • mfletcher1
    mfletcher1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ditto here Mary. I enjoy using MyFitnessPal and was glad to see the idea about building this group. My wife and I are planning for next May to do the short Camino, God willing!
  • andysmom
    andysmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Buen Camino friends! I too am planning to walk the Camino next year. Interestingly, I'm also planning on sometime around 9/15/2015. Although I'm very excited and pumped up for it, I find myself worrying about how it will happen. I work full time and the time off may be difficult to manage. At this point, I'm not ready to accept having to do a shorter version, so I'm still holding out for SJPDP to Santiago and then maybe a bus to Finisterre or Muxia.

I saw the movie The Way, in Feb 2013. I knew in my heart I had to do this. But... I was really out of shape and obese. I'd just left an incredibly stressful job and was very close to my top weight of 235. After praying about it for a couple months, I got my butt in gear right here on MFP. I started counting calories, eating better and hiking. Today I am 165. Definitely not skinny, but I'm in the best shape of my life. At age 52! Who would've thought?

Thanks for getting this group active and posting about it on FB. Looking forward to sharing the journey with like minded people. And, hey, maybe we'll be on our Camino at the same time. Wouldn't that be something?

Rose
  • karenspaper
    karenspaper Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story Rose. I'm also thinking about mid-September next year. Although I'm relatively fit, I'm still overweight and at 56 I don't think my knees with take the stress of walking 500 miles.

I'm inspired by your weight loss, congratulations.

Karen
  • christine900
    Options
    Hello pilgrims! I'm planning a spring Camino. Things have been coming together. I saw the post on Facebook. I'm amazed with the comunity and support. I feel like I found a family! I'm training in MN this winter. Have been having a "MN Camino" thhis summer and walked 432 miles. Saw the documentary 6 ways to Santiago the other day. I'm so excited!
  • Davidleelewis
    Options
    My wife and I are doing the Camino Ingles in the spring of 2015. Will be taking our time and making a true pilgrimage .Doing some training and using fitness pal to lose some weight.
  • mmmmm511
    mmmmm511 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I walked out of St Jean Pied de Port on September 3, 2014 with the plan of Burgos in 12days ... and God laughed and laughed and laughed ... My friend and I did not make it that far ~ we carried too much weight (backpack and body) ... We can walk flat even surfaces all day long but the Camino Frances is neither flat nor even ... Our plan has always been to walk in stages and we will pick up where we left off in Logrono in 2015 ... We will be lighter, fitter, carry less and buy hiking boots/shoes at least a full size larger! It is hard, but so very rewarding ...