i need ideas

Options
I am having my sleeve on 10-7 and will be doing 2 day pre-op liquid diet (broth, juice, sf popsicles, jello, etc)
Any other recommendations? I feel like I don't have everything I need yet, and I don't want to dwell to much on it. Also, what were your first 2-3 weeks like post op? were you mostly on just protein shakes?
Thanks in advance

Replies

• gastrognome89
    gastrognome89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I finish my 2 weeks post op diet today. Tomorrow I move on to purees. I had optifast protein shakes for breakfast, at first I had to have them very thin and eat them with a teaspoon over a few hours and I still have to drink them slowly now or I feel a little queasy. For lunch, usually a coffee or tea with a scoop of protein powder (24g protein).

For dinner I had homemade chicken, ham, fish broths because I like to cook and know exactly what's in my food. But calorie-wise store bought broth is fine. I think technically you're supposed to have another protein hit at dinner but I found at night it was easier to have the plain broth. My nut said it's fine for this stage.

Other than that, tried to have 1800ml water although I couldn't get it in every day at first, and of course a multi vitamin.

Couple of tips - eat with a teaspoon ONLY as the small mouthfuls will help prepare you for the later stages. Take time between each mouthful so you can check the impact on your new stomach before having the next. I was so used to shoveling in my food quickly, which is something this stage has helped me to break.

Also avoid orange juice. They gave it to me at the hospital and it gave me awful acid pain. Stick to diluted apple.

You're this helps and good luck!

Gnomie.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    You should have a post op diet packet from your surgeon by now. That said you will need hardly anything. Maybe the first 2 weeks, 14 premade 30g protein shakes, 1 box of jello, 1-2 box of chick broth, box of sugar free Popsicles, quart of Gatorade. They didn't have the 30g premade Shake when I had my VSG and that would have been helpful because they are portable!! and you can reseal them cause you will take forever to finish them.Using powders was just messy
  • jrnguyen
    jrnguyen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am 6 days post op, and exactly what Mangopickle said! My doc had me on a clear liquid diet for the first 4-7 days, but I adjusted quickly, so only did 4 days. Day 5 I moved on to full liquids. I bought the Premier Protein premixed shakes and they are amazing. She's so right, one takes me nearly all day to finish! I also got some isopure protein drinks. They're not the best, but good for a protein boost while trying to get your fluids down. Also strained cream soups are my best friend right now. One can lasted me two days, and I shared with my baby!
  • juneaubug
    juneaubug Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was on full liquids for 2 weeks post op, then 2 weeks of soft foods, and then onto solids (although, I kept up the soft foods for awhile because it was harder to eat in the beginning).

For immediately post op, I mostly drank just protein shakes and soups. I liked the pre-made Premier Protein shakes from Costco, though they were hard for me to get down (would take a couple of hours). I also stocked up on some of the HealthWise soups and hot chocolate mixes (these were part of my 2 week pre-op diet - I bought extra from Family Bariatric). My favorites are the cream of chicken soup (I would strain it in the beginning as there are little bits of carrot or something in it) and the plain hot chocolate or amaretto hot chocolate. I found that warm things were a little easier to get down in the beginning. I also like their fruit drink mixes - lemon razzy and pineapple are my favorites - I found these were easier to get down than a milky/thick protein shake. All of these have 15g protein per packet. They aren't cheap, but it definitely made things easier for me in the beginning...and making sure you get in your protein right from the start helps you heal.

I also bought some unflavored protein powder (I think i bought unjury brand). I would add this to pureed canned soups once I got to that phase and gently warm.

Congratulations and best of luck to you! I had my surgery October 17th of last year - I'm still trucking away with losing and I feel fantastic. I hope everything goes as well for you!