Running through ankle pain?

Options
throoper
throoper Posts: 351 Member
Hey all, I wanted to get your thoughts on this since researching on the Internet has me convinced that my ankle tendon is about to rupture and destroy my life. (Dr. Google is scary!) I've been running quite a lot lately (~20-25 miles per week), mostly trail running, and did a half marathon a week ago. It was a downhill course on cement, so quite fast. The last couple days, I've had pain on the inside of my ankle along the tendon there, especially when I rotate the foot inwards. Google tells me this could be a fairly common running side effect called posterior tibial tendonitis. It's not terribly bad pain - a slight dull ache and a shoot of pain that's maybe a 5-6 on the pain scale when I do tweak my ankle inwards. Once I get moving I don't really feel it much.

SO! The million dollar question! Can I keep running?? I have a 10 mile trail race in 2 weeks and was hoping to go do 10 miles (slow and easy) today. I don't want to exacerbate this issue if it IS tendonitis, but if it's just slightly tweaked, maybe it's no big deal to run on. I know it's standard to say "rest it for a few days" but you know how that can be hard if it's not necessary!

Anyone experienced anything like this? Any words of wisdom?

Thanks y'all - Lauren

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I've not had that issue but have had my share. :( What I do is this (and frankly I think I am maybe too aggressive): If it is not going to cause me to change my speed or gait I will run through it. If it does not go away after a few days then I reevaluate if I should still be running through it or not. I've been running on a sore hammie for like 8 months :( I hip flexor issue made me adjust the next day

And while I did not say it if the problem makes me change gait or speed then I usually will stop activity.
  • throoper
    Options
    Thanks, I appreciate your input! I decided I'm going to take 5-7 days off and see how it feels next weekend.... No use exacerbating what's currently NOT a big deal....
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure this is what I have been battling lately. I kept running with it (increased my mileage actually). Probably not the smartest but I did. It has slowly gotten better and I can run with pretty much no issues now. I'd say keep running if it doesnt hurt just be aware of changes and how it affects the rest of your body. If it starts to become more of an issue, then look to back off/stop.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I also thought I had posterior tibial tendonitis and so did the physical therapist. It got so bad that I would need to stop and stretch my left ankle at about 2 miles or fall flat on my face....some days it was stretch again every 1/4 mile later, others every mile or so later. After running thisway for a long time I was finally able to see a podiatrist who listened to my symptoms and immediately pushed directly on the "spot" with no direction from me - ouch. Turns out it was tendonitis but of the entire group of tendons that were controlling all of my minor toes. After some experimentation and testing I now wear orhodics all day every day...but I don't run in them oddly enough. After about 3 months the pain and tendonitis seem to have disappeared. If your issue does not pass relatively soon I would highly recommend seeing a podiatrist for an evaluation. Run strong!
  • throoper
    Options
    I also thought I had posterior tibial tendonitis and so did the physical therapist. It got so bad that I would need to stop and stretch my left ankle at about 2 miles or fall flat on my face....some days it was stretch again every 1/4 mile later, others every mile or so later. After running thisway for a long time I was finally able to see a podiatrist who listened to my symptoms and immediately pushed directly on the "spot" with no direction from me - ouch. Turns out it was tendonitis but of the entire group of tendons that were controlling all of my minor toes. After some experimentation and testing I now wear orhodics all day every day...but I don't run in them oddly enough. After about 3 months the pain and tendonitis seem to have disappeared. If your issue does not pass relatively soon I would highly recommend seeing a podiatrist for an evaluation. Run strong!

Thanks, this was really helpful. I will definitely see somebody if I can't get it to go away on its own... Glad yours is all better!!!