Pregnant with PCOS

Options
KBig14
KBig14 Posts: 10 Member
Hi everyone,

So this weekend I've finally got my BFP :) could not be more delighted! After a day or two of letting the good news sink in, I obviously have a lot of questions and concerns. Any advice would be appreciated.

I was diagnosed with probable PCOS during the summer, but it's only recently been confirmed and we haven't even had our appointment with the fertility clinic yet. I've not tried any sort of treatment, just been working really hard with diet and exercise the past few months so have now managed to lose 14lbs. Still a way to go but it's a start! Well, I ovulated earlier this month for the first time in quite a while, and now I'm pregnant. I am so excited, but I'm really worried about losing the baby. I'm 4 weeks and 3 days along.

I don't smoke, I haven't had a drink since I conceived and I'm focusing on eating lots of vegetables and cutting out sugar to keep my blood sugar stable. I'll be having plain unflavoured porridge for breakfast, chicken a small piece of cheese and popped crisps for lunch and a chicken or ham and vegetable salad for dinner. No caffeine either. I'm probably going to go swimming several times a week; I had been running and playing netball up until now but I tried to go for a run yesterday and just couldn't do it. What else can I do?

I have a doctor's appointment on Thursday; if all goes well, I'll be 5 weeks pregnant on that day. I read that taking Metformin during pregnancy lowers the miscarriage risk to normal levels; does anyone have any experience of that? I also read on one site that the risk of miscarriage is doubled in PCOS but on another that it is slightly elevated and not something to really worry about. And progesterone, I read you could get progesterone supplements to make sure levels stay high? I really just want to do anything I can to help this work out!

Anyone got any suggestions that could help me out? Thanks!

Replies

• miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I took metformin during the first trimester and it was fine. That was my second pregnancy. With my first, I didn't take it and that was fine too. PCOS does have a higher rate of miscarriage and that can make pregnancy extra stressful (most women stress about miscarriage, whether they have PCOS or not). I wanted to keep taking metformin but the doctor said only the first trimester. I did end up having gestational diabetes (with the second, not the first). (But the levels for what they consider GD changed between my two pregnancies so I'm not sure if they were really that much worse the second time).
    I did not take progesterone, didn't need it, but I know of some women with PCOS who did, with a lot of success.
    Congrats, send me a FR if you want - I've done the PCOS and pregnant thing twice now!
  • fayelobeck89
    fayelobeck89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've had pcos for as long as I have had periods and I was diagnosed at 17.

Had my first ever pregnancy at the age of 22 and I was 4 weeks 1 day when I found out I was pregnant.
    I personally don't know much about metformin, I took it a few years back but not for long. Anyway, I carried my baby full term without a glitch, apart from consistent spotting from week 6 to week 15, the doctor told me it was normal/very common and as soon as it stopped the rest of the pregnancy was fine. I took folic acid for a few weeks and just took each day as it came.

I'll be honest and say I was frightened from the moment I found out. It went like this,

First trimester.... Miscarriage....
    Second trimester.... Abnormality/disability/defects/telling me the wrong sex at my scan, etc
    Third trimester .... Wrong sex being born/ difficulty giving birth/ still birth etc.

I don't think there was a moment I wasn't scared. I have up college and I also stopped going out, I practically bed bound myself for as long as I could. Anyway, she's a toddler now so it was not worth all the worry, I wish I had enjoyed it more.

My second pregnancy was when my first born was 3 months old ended in miscarriage. I was a super busy new mum to a bouncy, cuddly, need-a-lot-of-time-and-attention baby.... I didn't stop and it resulted in me loosing the baby.

My advice would be to do light exercise and make sure the foods you eat are high in nutrients and on the healthier side of the spectrum.

Congratulations on your bfp!
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

So this weekend I've finally got my BFP :) could not be more delighted! After a day or two of letting the good news sink in, I obviously have a lot of questions and concerns. Any advice would be appreciated.

I was diagnosed with probable PCOS during the summer, but it's only recently been confirmed and we haven't even had our appointment with the fertility clinic yet. I've not tried any sort of treatment, just been working really hard with diet and exercise the past few months so have now managed to lose 14lbs. Still a way to go but it's a start! Well, I ovulated earlier this month for the first time in quite a while, and now I'm pregnant. I am so excited, but I'm really worried about losing the baby. I'm 4 weeks and 3 days along.

I don't smoke, I haven't had a drink since I conceived and I'm focusing on eating lots of vegetables and cutting out sugar to keep my blood sugar stable. I'll be having plain unflavoured porridge for breakfast, chicken a small piece of cheese and popped crisps for lunch and a chicken or ham and vegetable salad for dinner. No caffeine either. I'm probably going to go swimming several times a week; I had been running and playing netball up until now but I tried to go for a run yesterday and just couldn't do it. What else can I do?

I have a doctor's appointment on Thursday; if all goes well, I'll be 5 weeks pregnant on that day. I read that taking Metformin during pregnancy lowers the miscarriage risk to normal levels; does anyone have any experience of that? I also read on one site that the risk of miscarriage is doubled in PCOS but on another that it is slightly elevated and not something to really worry about. And progesterone, I read you could get progesterone supplements to make sure levels stay high? I really just want to do anything I can to help this work out!

Anyone got any suggestions that could help me out? Thanks!

First, a HUGE CONGRATS on your BFP!!!! I live with PCOS as well and am the mother of one child. As women living with PCOS, yes, we are at a higher risk of first trimester miscarriage. This is often due to low progesterone levels or increased insulin levels. Talking to your doctor, and knowing if you're at risk/have hormonal imbalances is a key to helping possibly combating this.

I took 1000mgs of Metformin ER and 5mcgs of Byetta from the time I was TTC until the day I gave birth to my daughter at 38 1/2 weeks. She was born with no ill affect or defects from either medication, while my PCOS was kept under control during the pregnancy. I did well over a year's worth of research on both drugs before deciding that the benefits outweighed any risked associated with them during pregnancy for both me and my baby.

Speaking to your OB or midwife about your diet/exercise routine is best, as they may recommend something different, but overall, folic acid and Omega 3's are EXTREMELY important in the first trimester, as this is when the brain, and organs are all forming. Eating foods that are rich in these, while staying away from caffeine as much as possible is ideal. As long as you aren't overheating your body, keeping up an exercise routine is good. Swimming is great and typically recommended as an exercise during pregnancy.